2000 ultegra vs 2004

Old August 24th 04, 05:37 PM
CTYankee

Default 2000 ultegra vs 2004

I know the 2004 is better...but how much? What are the differences? Wa
the splined BB aroung then? Have the shifters improved much? Th
brakes? Weight? Reliablitity

I found a good deal on a bike with 2000 Ultegra (all new) and don'
want to assume that the parts are as good as I think. I'm
recreational hard rider (don't race, but regularly do short TT typ
rides or long 70+ mile rides

--
CTYankee

Old August 24th 04, 08:19 PM
Harris

CTYankee wrote:

I know the 2004 is better...but how much? What are the differences? Was
the splined BB aroung then? Have the shifters improved much? The
brakes? Weight? Reliablitity?

I found a good deal on a bike with 2000 Ultegra (all new) and don't
want to assume that the parts are as good as I think. I'm a
recreational hard rider (don't race, but regularly do short TT type
rides or long 70+ mile rides)

Probably not Flight Deck compatible (which may be an advantage). Will you
get any warranty coverage on something that old?

Art Harris
Old August 25th 04, 01:15 AM
Craig

I know the 2004 is better...but how much? What are the differences? Was
the splined BB aroung then? Have the shifters improved much? The
brakes? Weight? Reliablitity?

I found a good deal on a bike with 2000 Ultegra (all new) and don't
want to assume that the parts are as good as I think. I'm a
recreational hard rider (don't race, but regularly do short TT type
rides or long 70+ mile rides)

I have a 1999 full Ultegra 9 speed. Maybe the first year for 9 speed?
(someone knows). I can't tell you a whole lot about the 2004 Ultegra stuff
because my 1999 stuff has been ROCK SOLID for 5 YEARS. Shifters/brakes
PERFECT, derailleurs/front and back PERFECT, cranks, etc, awesome. I swap
out the chain often and keep everything fairly clean. The bike you are
looking at should have the splined BB. Chainrings and cog stack could be
worn down but those are replaceable.

I'm sure Shimano has worked a few grams out of the group over the years and
if that's your priority - go for it. Don't know if shifting/braking/weight
is all that different. I guess a lot of that stuff is pretty subjective.
There are plenty of guys still riding with downtube shifters and love them.
Good luck.

Old August 25th 04, 02:01 AM
Threeducks

CTYankee wrote:
I know the 2004 is better...but how much? What are the differences? Was
the splined BB aroung then? Have the shifters improved much? The
brakes? Weight? Reliablitity?

I found a good deal on a bike with 2000 Ultegra (all new) and don't
want to assume that the parts are as good as I think. I'm a
recreational hard rider (don't race, but regularly do short TT type
rides or long 70+ mile rides)

Geez, I have '94 Ultegra on my bike and it's still going strong. How
much better do you need?
Old August 25th 04, 05:27 AM
DeanC

Threeducks Wrote:
Geez, I have '94 Ultegra on my bike and it's still going strong. Ho
much better do you need?

I've got '89 Ultegra on mine, does that count? :-)

Dea

--
DeanC

Old August 25th 04, 02:20 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

CTY- I know the 2004 is better...but how much? What are the differences? Was
the splined BB aroung then? Have the shifters improved much? The
brakes? Weight? Reliablitity? BRBR

9s and spline stuff for Ultegra started in 1998.
The levers were changed to eliminate the rattly caps but otherwise it hasn't
changed since 1998.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.