Campy/Shimano & Peter White

Old August 31st 05, 02:18 PM
SriBikeJi

Default Campy/Shimano & Peter White

I am thinking of buying a used bike with, as Sheldon call it, a
"Shimagolo" component group on it. Because it's a big purchase for me,
I just want to get this straight.

I know the question of whether Ergo shifters will work with Shimano
cassettes and cranksets has been addressed several times. I believe, 10
speed aside, the answer is:

front ergo works with everything.
rear ergo with campy derailleur works with shimano cassettes

This is despite the cog-space difference:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#spacing

This works well enough that Harris sells combo groups:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#spacing

BUT, on Peter White's site, Peter recommends using a Shiftmate to make
this work: "To use Ergo shifters with Shimano rear hubs and cassettes, I
recommend the ShiftMate adapter."
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/rambouillet.asp
Since I greatly respect Peter's opinion, I thought it was worth asking
again.

Thanks.

Old August 31st 05, 06:53 PM
dennis

i believe sheldon recommends a shiftmate also. just search this group
for "sheldon shiftmate"

Old August 31st 05, 07:16 PM
App

SBJ asked about Shmagnolo drivetrains

SBJ:

10 speed works Campy drivetrain, Shimano cassette. Nine Speed works
Campy drivetrain, Shimano cassette. Eight speed kinda works Campy
drivetrain, Shimano cassette. IIRC, seven speed is a no-go unless you
have the shiftmate.

In all cases, the shiftmate will result in better performance (so I've
heard).

App