Cycling in Pedestrianised Areas

Old January 14th 04, 07:25 PM
Mike Gayler

Default Cycling in Pedestrianised Areas

I'm sure I've seen research refered to that indicates that there is less of
a safety risk when cyclists ride their machines rather than push them in
areas where there are groups of ped's e.g. in shopping precincts, or
pedestrainised streets. Can anyone point me that way.

I'm not interested in pavement cycling - that's a different ball-park as
far as I can see!

Thanks
Mike - Leicester
Old January 15th 04, 08:50 AM
Tony Raven

Mike Gayler wrote:
I'm sure I've seen research refered to that indicates that there is less of
a safety risk when cyclists ride their machines rather than push them in
areas where there are groups of ped's e.g. in shopping precincts, or
pedestrainised streets. Can anyone point me that way.

Does it matter. Its usually illegal and you shouldn't cycle there.

Tony

Old January 15th 04, 02:17 PM
james

Mike Gayler wrote in message 2.40...
I'm sure I've seen research refered to that indicates that there is less of
a safety risk when cyclists ride their machines rather than push them in
areas where there are groups of ped's e.g. in shopping precincts, or
pedestrainised streets. Can anyone point me that way.

You may be referring to a recent (iirc) DfT report on some research
into the interaction between peds and cyclists on roads that were at
least partly pedestrianised. It considered the effects during and
outside the hours of operation of the pedestrian restrictions. In
very broad terms it concluded that cyclists moderated their speeds to
suit the conditions expect for a minority of (usually) young men and
hence that there was little conflict which is not the same thing at
all. The other day I was only able to locate a summary on the DfT
website and not the main report

hth
james
Old January 15th 04, 05:59 PM
Zog The Undeniable

james wrote:

In
very broad terms it concluded that cyclists moderated their speeds to
suit the conditions expect

The MTB hooligans in Swindon don't. I often wish I had a stick to push
through their spokes.

Old January 15th 04, 06:36 PM
Mike Gayler

"Tony Raven" writed in
:

Mike Gayler wrote:
I'm sure I've seen research refered to that indicates that there is
less of a safety risk when cyclists ride their machines rather than
push them in areas where there are groups of ped's e.g. in shopping
precincts, or pedestrainised streets. Can anyone point me that way.

Does it matter. Its usually illegal and you shouldn't cycle there.

There are two streets in Leicester which have part time cycling
restrictions (Humberstonegate & Granby Street- Clock Tower to Halford
Street) and one with no restrictions (Hotel Street) where the
restrictions are very poorly understood by all. These are (Except Hotel
Street) very wide pedestrianised thoroughfares where the interactions are
fine for careful cyclists, but can scare the wits out of peds when the
loonies bash through.

However that was not the basis of my question - at my workplace there is
a wide pedestrian thouroughfare between two car parks, which is the most
straightforward link between the entrance to the site and the cycle
storage facility. This link is regularly used, without incident by
cyclists. However, there are dark mutterings to ban cycling along this
link and I am looking for evidence to back up my claim that this type of
'street' can be shared by careful cyclists and pedestrians.

Mike - Leicester

Old January 15th 04, 08:41 PM
James Hodson

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:25:07 GMT, Mike Gayler
wrote:

I'm sure I've seen research refered to that indicates that there is less of
a safety risk when cyclists ride their machines rather than push them in
areas where there are groups of ped's e.g. in shopping precincts, or
pedestrainised streets. Can anyone point me that way.

Hi Mike

I don't cycle on pavements or in pedestrian area so can't really
comment from exprience of the relative safety of riding versus
pushing. However, I do know that when in pushing mode I occasionally
have to swerve to prevent pedestrians walking into my pedals - or vice
versa.

James

--
"Sorry mate, I didn't see you" is not a satisfactory excuse.
Old January 17th 04, 02:15 AM
pmailkeey

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 08:50:25 -0000, "Tony Raven"
wrote:

Mike Gayler wrote:
I'm sure I've seen research refered to that indicates that there is less of
a safety risk when cyclists ride their machines rather than push them in
areas where there are groups of ped's e.g. in shopping precincts, or
pedestrainised streets. Can anyone point me that way.

Does it matter. Its usually illegal and you shouldn't cycle there.

Birmingham Council tell me not only is it legal to cycle on the
pedestrianised streets in the City Centre, it's also legal both ways
despite the no entry signs at one end !
--
Comm again, Mike.
Old January 17th 04, 11:58 AM
Martin Harlow

In article , pmailkeey mike@pmai
lkeey.freeserve.co.yuk writes
wrote:

Mike Gayler wrote:
I'm sure I've seen research refered to that indicates that there is less of
a safety risk when cyclists ride their machines rather than push them in
areas where there are groups of ped's e.g. in shopping precincts, or
pedestrainised streets. Can anyone point me that way.

Does it matter. Its usually illegal and you shouldn't cycle there.

Birmingham Council tell me not only is it legal to cycle on the
pedestrianised streets in the City Centre, it's also legal both ways
despite the no entry signs at one end !

That's interesting. Croydon is similar - there's a road through the
pedestrian area which is labelled one way. Closed to motor traffic but
rubbish collection vehicles and such like use it. I've (cautiously)
cycled down it the wrong way past police who haven't batted an eyelid.
Mind you, I suspect they ignore the pl*nkers who take it full tilt
slaloming madly too.

ttfn

Martin

--
"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our
air and water that are doing it." - Dan Quayle

Martin Harlow
Old January 19th 04, 02:02 AM
pmailkeey

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 18:36:55 GMT, Mike Gayler
wrote:

However that was not the basis of my question - at my workplace there is
a wide pedestrian thouroughfare between two car parks, which is the most
straightforward link between the entrance to the site and the cycle
storage facility. This link is regularly used, without incident by
cyclists. However, there are dark mutterings to ban cycling along this
link and I am looking for evidence to back up my claim that this type of
'street' can be shared by careful cyclists and pedestrians.

Brum's fine with shared ped/cycle use - and in fact is the country by
permitting shared use footpaths anyway.

King's Lynn being an exception on shopping streets.
--
Comm again, Mike.