Mount Donna Buang ride on Wednesday

Old December 31st 07, 10:04 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Gags

Default Mount Donna Buang ride on Wednesday

Wednesday is definitely a goer for me to finally get around to climbing
Mount Donna Buang. So far I have one of my mates coming along and hopefully
there will be another one getting back to me with a yes tonight. We are
planning on leaving my place at 0600h in the car and will drive to the
Launching Place Hotel. From there, we will ride to Warburton so that we get
a bit of a warm up prior to the climb and then we will go up and down Donna
Buang. The weather forecast tonight said that it is supposed to be fine and
25 deg on Wednesday but from speaking to guys who have climbed it before I
am planning on taking a wind vest and a set of arm warmers (and maybe even a
spray jacket) for the descent in case it gets cold near the top.

We plan on sticking together and just riding a steady tempo to the top -
maybe I will get out again someday and see how fast I can do it solo.

If anyone is interested in coming along for the ride then let me know
through this forum so that we can meet up at Launching Place.

Gags

Old January 2nd 08, 10:29 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Gags

Default Mount Donna Buang - Ride Report

Went out this morning and it was an almost perfect day for being on a bike -
fine and not too hot. I ended up doing the climb with a guy from my old
work who is 55 y.o. and goes alright on a bike for an old fella!!!

We started from Launching Place and had an easy ride of 12km or so to the
start of the climb. We did the climb at a fairly easy pace and I stayed
with my mate the whole way up. He was running a 50/36 on the front and a
13-29 on the rear and for the last half or so of the climb he was back in
the lowest gear or two. I run 53/39 and 12-25 and I was initially sitting
in 39/23 for the first 20 min or so but then when we slowed down to 13km/h
and as low as 10km/h I had to go to the 39/25 to avoid grinding too much. I
would have preferred to go a bit quicker and resultantly at a higher cadence
but in the end I was happy to stick with my mate who put in a pretty good
effort - his HRM was showing between 90 and 95% for most of the climb!!!

We finally got to the top in 1h16m30s and as soon as we stopped we were
covered in flies!!! As we had gone all the way to the top I convinced my
mate to join me in taking off our bike shoes and climbing the observation
tower for a look. It was well worth it as the view was fantastic and to top
it off I found $2.20 up there!!!

The trip back down was good fun and I was sitting between 60 and 70kph for
most of it without having to pedal too often. We did stop to fill up our
water bottles from the natural spring outlet (I was wondering why my mate
only had one water bottle at the start but it was due to knowing that he
could refill up near the top!!) and the entire trip down took just over 15
minutes of riding.

It was the longest continuous climb and descent that I have ever done and I
am looking forward to going back and having another crack at it solo. I put
my time into cycle2max and it gave me an estimated power output of 268W - I
had a look at one of Ess's times (59m3s) and his estimated power was
255W......If only I could lose about 25kg and keep the same power output!!!

Gags

Old January 3rd 08, 12:53 AM posted to aus.bicycle
essendon93[_29_]

Gags Wrote:
[...]

GagsAbout time you jumped onto c2M.

I'd like to see you do Hodgson St or Clintons rd, I want to see the
1000W barrier broken

--
essendon93

Old January 3rd 08, 01:30 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Boostland

"essendon93" wrote in
message ...
GagsAbout time you jumped onto c2M.
I'd like to see you do Hodgson St or Clintons rd, I want to see the
1000W barrier broken

--
essendon93

We have a power tap competition of sorts running here in Newcastle, the
owner of the tap holds the maximum output at 1934 W, and the runner up is at
1858 W, we have some others around the 1300 to 1500 W mark.

I am yet to have a go at it but I suspect I would be around the 1500 W mark
due to my 100 Kg weight and my performace against the ones in the 1300 to
1500 W output range.

The owner has banned track sprinters from using it as he does not want to be
beaten, we have a rider here that was over the 2000 W mark when he was
racing, but he has no real interest at competition anymore so will probably
not have a go.

who lives in chicago and wants to ride on wednesday?! uniimann89 Unicycling 37 June 5th 07 08:41 AM
who lives in chicago and wants to ride on wednesday?! Uniman_3 Unicycling 0 May 29th 07 05:16 AM
Donna Buang Dave A Australia 6 December 13th 06 03:44 AM
Mt Donna Buang ritcho Australia 14 October 30th 06 03:31 AM
London UK ride tomorrow (wednesday 16th) joemarshall Unicycling 8 June 16th 04 01:00 PM