Driver threatened to 'run cyclist over' in terrifying road rageassault caught on camera

Old October 12th 17, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

Default Driver threatened to 'run cyclist over' in terrifying road rageassault caught on camera

On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 11:08:33 GMT
(Christie) wrote:

Could I ask if your wife chooses to wear head protection when she uses
her electric bike? I don't see many riders on electric bikes around
here and wonder whether riders would be more likely to wear helmets on
electric bikes than they would on normal bikes.

It's not what other people do that should concern you, so much as why
you (or she) might do it. The thing with pedal-cycle helmets is
there's no clear evidence that they actually make the wearer safer.
For example, motorists have been shown to pass helmeted cyclists
closer than they do bareheaded cyclists, and helmeted cyclists may
subconsciously take greater risks because they think they're better
protected. The actual physical protection offered by standards-
compliant helmets is sufficient only to protect from falls at low
speeds, not from impact with a motor vehicle. Helmets may actually
increase the risk of brain injury when they contact the road surface -
the greater threat here is from torsional injury rather than direct
impact. Helmets may increase the risk of spinal cord injury because
they add mass to the head. And so on.
I have a helmet, I don't feel that it offers any benefit for most of my
cycling activities, but I may wear it occasionally (apart from
anything else it provides a mounting point for lights, mirrors etc.)
I often wear hats - a peaked cap can be useful for keeping wind, rain
and headlights out of your eyes. Keeping warm is important in bad
weather because discomfort can be distracting - cold rain on a bare
head can be really unpleasant, even if you're pedalling fast enough to
keep warm otherwise. A helmet in warm weather can be similarly
distracting or even physiologically dangerous.

Old October 12th 17, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 15:22:50 +0100
Bod wrote:

You must be oblivious to this fact.

He's oblivious to the fact that he's a drivelling idiot, but isn't that
often the way?

Old October 12th 17, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

On 12/10/2017 11:03, Christie wrote:
TMS320 wrote:

On 11/10/17 12:08, Christie wrote:
TMS320 wrote:

On 11/10/17 10:51, Peter Keller wrote:
On 10.10.2017 21:40, Bod wrote:
On 10/10/2017 09:33, Peter Keller wrote:
On 10.10.2017 07:34, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
If people want to be on two wheels, they should get a motorbike.

Not necessarily.

Or an electric bicycle. I've bought one and it is brilliant.

Sure. Although strictly speaking an electric bike is a *motor* bike.
I keep my 1-human powered non-electric bike for basic transport and
recreation, mostly because it is a great way of getting exercise and
fitness without taking up too much time. There is time involved in
travelling places anyway, no matter what the means.
And it is very enjoyable.

We recently bought an electric bike for my wife which has a 300Whr
battery. On her first ride we did 37 miles with all fuel guage leds
still lit (20% used). So she gained considerable benefit on inclines
without significantly reducing her own energy contribution.

Height increase always seem a lot tougher than the rate of potential
energy gain suggests it should.

Could I ask if your wife chooses to wear head protection when she uses
her electric bike? I don't see many riders on electric bikes around
here and wonder whether riders would be more likely to wear helmets on
electric bikes than they would on normal bikes.

She doesn't.

Okay, the more people that don't, the more confident I would feel
about not doing so either.

Why do you think the type of bike would make a difference?

Just the potential speed that you could more consistently maintain on
some electric bikes, I suppose - Bod has mentioned 30 mph. Although,
of course, just because you can that doesn't mean you have to do so.

If you're using your bike, even though power assisted, at speeds you
are commonly quite used to without such assistance then I don't see
that it would make a difference. And, now I come to think of it, that
is the way I would approach things.

Power assistance ceases at 15mph.

Old October 12th 17, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 10.10.2017 21:40, Bod wrote:
[...]

Not on mine it doesn't.

--
Bod
Old October 12th 17, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_2_]

Default Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL), the Sociopathic Attention Whore

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 15:14:15 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

No, only those with ADHD.

No, only those who have a properly functioning brain.

Which definitely is not the case with you, Birdbrain!

--
More from Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) strange sociopathic
world:
Old October 12th 17, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_2_]

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 11:44:08 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

I normally pootle along at a steady 15 -20mph, any speed above that just
feels too fast down country lanes. We get deer running across the roads
quite a lot so it would be insane to go any faster

You must have a slow old brain then, because I'm comfortable going 30
(downhill of course).

We know, you are also comfortable running red lights, speeding and
intentionally frightening other road users, etc., sick sociopath!

Old October 12th 17, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_2_]

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 13:57:00 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

I normally pootle along at a steady 15 -20mph, any speed above that just
feels too fast down country lanes. We get deer running across the roads
quite a lot so it would be insane to go any faster

Okay, thanks for that. I think I'm getting this electric bicycle thing
together now - there is, of course, far more to life than just
increasing its speed.

Speed is a lot of fun and everyone should use it.

What a sick asshole! tsk

--
More from Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) strange sociopathic
world:
"I worked out that I often break TEN laws in one hour."
MID:

Old October 12th 17, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_2_]

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 20:52:55 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

I do, because they look like ****ing morons and I wish to teach them a
lesson.

As for those who have flashing headlights during broad daylight, well I
give them the same back.

Sick idiot! tsk

--
More of Birdbrain Macaw's from (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) deep thinking:
"Prisoners of war is a stupid idea. Just kill them. Why save the enemy?
Old October 13th 17, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On 12.10.2017 22:59, TMS320 wrote:
On 12/10/17 10:22, Peter Keller wrote:
On 12.10.2017 13:21, TMS320 wrote:
On 11/10/17 17:41, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

I actually saw a cyclist undertake a bus at traffic light this morning
Just because the bus was not indicating to turn left does not mean it
is not
going to turn left. Unfortunately the bus did not turn left.

Maybe the rider concerned worked out what it was going to do from other
clues. The front wheels are usually reliable indicators.

Yes.
Be visible, predictable and observant.

Oh? I always work on the basis that I am not visible. I prefer the
observe method.

True.
But I try to be visible and assume others have not seen me despite that.