Cycling is dangerous

Old October 15th 03, 05:25 AM
Frank Krygowski

Default Cycling is dangerous

Robert Chambers wrote:

Don't try to inflict your ignorance on others.

Can we politely ask you to obey your own advice?

You've given absolutely no indication that you know _anything_ factual
about the subject line. That is, you appear to be speaking from
near-total ignorance.

Learn something about the relative safety of cycling compared to other
activities. Learn about the risk levels of cycling compared to the risk
levels of _not_ cycling. Learn about the cost to society of
discouraging cycling. Only then will you, perhaps, be qualified to comment.

Why would you discourage anyone from 10 ounces of prevention?
There's no logical reason. There simply isn't.

I'm not surprised that you can't imagine a logical reason. That,
however, is hardly proof that logical reasons don't exist.

--

Frank Krygowski

Old October 15th 03, 07:06 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
Garry Jones writes:

How do you meet that remark in a constructive manner?

Take him for a ride with you. Observe whatever 2-abreast
laws exist in your jurisdiction. Lead him not unto
temptation, but deliver him from evil.

cheers,
Tom

-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old October 15th 03, 09:54 AM
Zoot Katz

Tue, 14 Oct 2003 23:57:52 -0400, ,
Frank Krygowski wrote:

For example, swimming is reckoned to be four times worse
than cyling, in terms of deaths per million hours activity; yet that
doesn't make swimming dangerous in any absolute sense

Nope, swimming isn't dangerous. It's one's inability to swim that is a
risky proposition.

Drowning is the third leading cause of unintentional death for
Canadians under 60 years of age, surpassed only by motor vehicle
collisions and poisoning.
--
zk
Old October 15th 03, 10:54 AM
W K

"Kaputnik" wrote in message
om...

I do my best to minimize this by using a
helmet, proper lighting where applicable, and developing safe riding
habits in general.

In reverse order I hope.

Old October 15th 03, 12:46 PM
David Kerber

In article , Kevan@mouse-
potato.com says...
On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 21:21:17 -0400, "Robert Chambers" from
Info Avenue Internet Services, LLC wrote:

Why would you discourage anyone from 10 ounces of prevention?
There's no logical reason. There simply isn't.

Because the "prevention" isn't.

You may not believe that they give protection, but most people do,
including me. Perhaps not as much as some advocates claim, but more
than none. ISTM to be irresponsible to actively discourage people
from wearing a helmet.

--
Dave Kerber
Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

Old October 15th 03, 12:48 PM
Robert Chambers

"Kevan Smith" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 23:19:41 -0400, "Robert Chambers"

from
Info Avenue Internet Services, LLC wrote:

"Kevan Smith" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 21:21:17 -0400, "Robert Chambers"

from
Info Avenue Internet Services, LLC wrote:

Why would you discourage anyone from 10 ounces of prevention?
There's no logical reason. There simply isn't.

Because the "prevention" isn't.

Complete bull****! You can believe what you like. I'm absolutely

certain I
wouldn't be alive today ... or at least I wouldn't be able to type these
sentences ... were it not for the protection my helmet provided when I

was
run down. That's my view, that's the testimony of the witnesses at the
intersection who saw the impact, saw me go airborn, saw me land on my

head.
That's the testimony of my EMS workers, my ER doctors and my orthopedic
surgeon who had to piece all the rest of me back together, but didn't

have
to piece my skull back together.

Unless you've been there, you speak from ignorance.

You got lucky. A helmet is only designed to protect a head-shaped form

weighing
under 14 pounds froma a fall of about six feet. The forces of crashes in

the
real world are usually much greater. However, since no one measured the

forces
on your head or that absorbed by your helmet, your statement and the

others that
it "saved your life" is pure speculation.
--
real e-mail addy: kevansmith23 at yahoo dot com
It's NO USE ... I've gone to "CLUB MED"!!

Old October 15th 03, 12:49 PM
Robert Chambers

[...]

All I do in response to this is shake my head in a combination of disgust
and amazement.

Old October 15th 03, 12:52 PM
Robert Chambers

Hey frank ... try reading the entire thread. I know plenty about cycling
and its relative dangers. I've experienced them first hand. I can't stand
enduring all the idiots out here who think they know something about it when
they spin a few miles a week and haven't had a life-threatening accident ...
yet somehow they're experts.

Bob C.

New for me - cycling B Parker General 4 October 14th 03 03:03 AM
Cycling Holiday Tours - Any Recommendations? Elisa Francesca Roselli General 9 October 11th 03 03:53 PM
Cycling may be hazardous to your frivolous lawsuit Mr. E. Mann General 0 September 22nd 03 10:49 AM
Vermont cycling Hal Jordan General 30 September 13th 03 08:09 AM
Dr. Gridlock and Cycling (LONG) Luigi de Guzman General 6 September 3rd 03 11:17 AM