Never thought we'd ever be talking about unicycling in my Physical Geology class...

Old October 5th 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
TrialsUni

Default Never thought we'd ever be talking about unicycling in my Physical Geology class...

I am taking an introduction Geo. class at college, since a class with a
lab is a general ed requirement, and I've decided to minor in earth
science.

The professor was showing the class of about 40 students, slides he has
taken from around the country (usa) demonstrating different examples of
rock formations. He pushed a button to change the slide and the next
one was from atop a mountain (I think it was Mt. Whitney because he
said the mountain was over 14,000ft tall) where two gentlement were
sitting on flat boulders with their unicycles off to the side. Their
unicycles weren't laying flat. Everyone guessed what they were right
away, and I could tell that one of them had an air seat, and possibly
maguras, and they both were 24"x3" downhill uni's. People began asking
him about it, and he said that they hiked up the mountain, and he asked
if anyone knew what they were going to do. I was sitting close to him
and said, that they were going to ride down the mountain, which is
called downhill mountain unicycling. He said he didn't see them ride
down, and didn't know it was possible. I said, it is.

By this time the class had shifted their attention to the both of us.
I told him that I rode a unicycle, but that I rode trials. Pointing to
the tables at the front of the room, I said that I could jump onto a
table, even 39 inches high. He said, "I think you're full of
bullsh*t." I said that there was a national convention in Saline,
Michigan this past summer, but better than that I have a video online
on youtube.com.

He said, "Bring your unicycle in next class." I'm going to bring it in
on Monday to prove to him that I have a unicycle, and maybe do a little
demo for the class. If everyone's willing I'm going to bring in my
copy of Defect and if time and the professor allow, show a couple
examples of different kinds of unicycling.

It's going to be a little nervewracking since there are no familiar
faces in the class. But, I'll jump at any chance to show the sport to
people, because they are generally so open and receptive to learning
about unicycling. There are a few 'haters' at the collegiate level,
but most tend to think it's cool, and get excited when learning about
it.

cheers,
evan

--
TrialsUni
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 5th 07, 04:51 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
peleschramm

dude thatll b awesome. tell how it goes.

--
peleschramm
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 5th 07, 04:57 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
malabaristapablo

I want a teacher how yours!!! oh and if you do the demo also we want
pictures!

--
malabaristapablo

UNICYCLIST PAbLO
http://malabaristapablo.spaces.live.com/
First
Uni-vid:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSyRyM6KeiE
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 5th 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Wheel Rider

TrialsUni wrote:
He said, "Bring your unicycle in next class." I'm going to bring it in
on Monday to prove to him that I have a unicycle, and maybe do a little
demo for the class. If everyone's willing I'm going to bring in my
copy of Defect and if time and the professor allow, show a couple
examples of different kinds of unicycling.

cheers,
evan

Great!! Go for it !! Just don't break any tables.
Leave us a follow-up report on Monday.

--
Wheel Rider

A man can fail many times but he isn't a failure until he begins to
blame someone else. - Waite Phillips
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 5th 07, 05:22 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Borgschulze

I did some trials on the big huge work benches in Manufacturing class.

Kids were telling me I suck and can't ride it, so I mounted on top of a
table, because I can't hop that high.. and jump from table to table.

After that they never doubted me again.

--
Borgschulze

'deviantART'
(http://borgschulze.deviantart.com/)'Gravity'
(http://videos.observedtrials.net/Gravity.wmv) is -not- the
issue.
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 5th 07, 05:54 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

I wonder if that 14,000' peak could have been White Mountain Peak in CA?
A group of unicyclists went to the top of that one in 2002 or so. The
following day, Kris Holm and Nathan Hoover rode Cokers 10,000'
downhill, on the surrounding roads. I missed the opportunity to be part
of the group due to the flu! Still kicking myself as I was most of the
way better...

Very cool to be invited to bring your unicycle to (a college) class.
Rip some desks!

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"I bruised my tailbone the other day, it's a real pain in the ass." --
Forrest Rowell
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 5th 07, 07:11 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rem48

try to video it, even with a phone if necessary. THis would be a riot
to see. Looking forward to it. Also .... do a new thread with an
identifying name so we look. I know I only go to a few threads over
and over.

--
rem48
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 5th 07, 07:26 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
harper

I think Kris discussed unicycling in his geology class on a regular
basis.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

http://www.usenet.com
Old October 5th 07, 07:48 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Danni

Own him good, but try not to be too much of a smart ass

--
Danni

leo wrote:
Without cocks you wouldn't even have a family forum.

'My Trials Course'
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 5th 07, 08:38 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Borgschulze

harper wrote:
I think Kris discussed unicycling in his geology class on a regular
basis.

If Kris taught a Geology class at a school near me, I would take it for
sure.

Just from listening to him speak in some of the videos I have seen him
in, I bet he would make a great teacher.