8-speed derailler on 7 speed cassette w/7 speed shifter

Old March 31st 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default 8-speed derailler on 7 speed cassette w/7 speed shifter

Hello People,

My commuter bike derailler needs replacing, however since the bike is a
7-speed (ie: 21 total) from 1999 a lot has changed since then and even
Shimano's lower end componentry is 8-speed oriented.

What are the chances of this working:

All components are Shimano;

-7-speed cassette

-7-speed shifter

- A newly-purchased Shimano Alivio derailler RD-MC20-L which I intend to
install on the bike.

Current model documentation for this year's Alivio indicates Alivio would
work on a 7 or 8 speed. The one I mistakenly bought however is not whatever
is current on shimano's site. Probably last year's.

They don't have any of this year's model where I bought it from and since
I'm not into keeping up with the Jones', I am ok with keeping the slightly
older model if it will work.

So, will the new derailler work on a 7-speed cluster? Or should I take it
back before even opening the box?

Thanks

Old March 31st 06, 01:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Jim L. wrote:
[...]

Yes, all Shimano derailers made in the SIS era index with everything
else except for pre-97 DA.

Old March 31st 06, 02:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Jim L. wrote:
Hello People,

My commuter bike derailler needs replacing, however since the bike is a
7-speed (ie: 21 total) from 1999 a lot has changed since then and even
Shimano's lower end componentry is 8-speed oriented.

What are the chances of this working:

100%...shimano rear derailleurs are all the same dimension, except for
DA 8s....even a '9s' rear der will work fine, with NO modification,
just put it on.