'7-speed sis' shimano 600 crankset w/ 9 speed dura-ace circa 1997

Old August 19th 07, 10:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default '7-speed sis' shimano 600 crankset w/ 9 speed dura-ace circa 1997

Hi there, I've been doing a little work on my old Serotta and I'm
interested in changing/upgrading its current crankset. I bought this
bike used a year or two ago, and little is known about its current
cranks, except that the non drive-side arm has a tendency to work its
way loose after 30 or so miles (i think it may have been overtightened
at one point, damaging the arm where it attaches to the BB axle). I
have had a lot of trouble finding a good shimano square taper crankset
to match the White Industries BB which I'd rather not ditch in favor
of a newer octalink BB (sentimental value; white no longer
manufactures BBs). Recently, I came across a '7-speed sis' 600
crankset, and I am wondering if it will be at all compatible w/ my
current setup. AFAIK, the drive train is full DA circa 1997. I'm
pretty sure it can't be earlier because it is 9-speed, but I'm
assuming it is pretty old as the DA logo on the rear derailleur is a
black rectangle with white DA text, much different from the '06 DA
groupo on my felt. I read about 'skating' on Sheldon Brown's site and
I am concerned about this and any other issues that might result from
this pairing. Both the current and the 600 chainrings are 55/39; I'm
also wondering if it would be possible to put the old chainrings (or
at least the 39) on the 600 cranks to alleviate problems. Any
thoughts? Is this even possible? I would be very grateful for any
advice you could offer. Thanks!

--Mike

Old August 20th 07, 02:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

wrote:
[...]

If your White is a Ti spindle model you should seriously reconsider.

A left arm is cheap - they are a commodity - if that is your only
immediate concern. The rings are probably not the only difference; the
spider's tab between the rings is likely thinner on the later model DA
right arm. Measure that first.

Finally, the spindle length will likely be different for the two cranks.
White's BB sets have a somewhat adjustable spacing but not infinitely!
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old August 20th 07, 11:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Aug 19, 6:26 pm, A Muzi wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I see that there have been a number of complaints concerning the Ti
spindled white BB; mine, I'm fairly sure is steel, and i haven't had
many problems with it. I suppose I will ultimately have to get a
newer BB as square taper becomes increasingly rare.

Can you recommend a good source for 'vintage' crank arms (preferably
172.5)? Do I need to worry about spindle length for a left arm, or
just for the right? Thanks again!

--Mike

Old August 21st 07, 01:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

wrote:
I see that there have been a number of complaints concerning the Ti
spindled white BB; mine, I'm fairly sure is steel, and i haven't had
many problems with it. I suppose I will ultimately have to get a
newer BB as square taper becomes increasingly rare.

Can you recommend a good source for 'vintage' crank arms (preferably
172.5)? Do I need to worry about spindle length for a left arm, or
just for the right? Thanks again!

Left 172 at any competent LBS - lefts are a common service item.
The exact year/model will be a crapshoot but a 172 left's no problem.