Is Drillium Cool Again?

Old July 1st 09, 06:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Drillium Dude

Default Is Drillium Cool Again?

On Jun 30, 8:07*pm, Still Just Me...
wrote:
On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 19:01:26 -0700 (PDT), Drillium Dude

wrote:
I have to ask: what exactly IS art? *When you aver that that you don't
agree with art without function, what are we to make of classic
paintings or sculptures - or any other inanimate object created by
man? *Are they only art if they serve a function? *No. *They are art
in the mind of whomever appreciates them for the beauty they convey to
the beholder.

You miss my point. I didn't say that there was no reason for art
without function. But, from the viewpoint of this group (.tech), a
part that is art without function (can't be ridden) is reduced to
"interesting" - much like the sculpture you cited ie. "That's
interesting, how creative, stick it on a wall... now anyone know where
I can get some Campy hoods cheap?".

As for your work itself. It's very nice. *You go the extra mile in
design and finish. But, at this point, the only drillium I see first
hand or care about are the parts that are functional on my bike.

I appreciate you clearing that up for me. First time on this forum,
which in itself is really no excuse. My problem is probably that I'm
too literal; add the fact that I know next to nothing regarding the
people on this forum that obviously know one another and can pick up
the subtleties of what they write and there you go.

I dropped in on this as the subject was near and dear to my heart. No
offence intended. Your nice comments on my work are very much
appreciated, and I as well can appreciate your stance on usefulness.
A pal of mine, one who got me on the road to producing more than just
enough drillium to equip my own bike, is the same way. I go either
way, either fulfilling a client's wishes or to push the envelope of
what is possible. Again, in the end, it's all about fun!

Thanks again,
Jeff
Old July 1st 09, 08:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Jul 1, 6:01*am, Drillium Dude wrote:

However, I thank you for being straight in your response to me and I
hope you always keep the rubber side down.

Cheers!
Jeff

Hey, I have drillium on my bike too, straight from the frame-builder,
and after seeing your work I was wondering aloud, earlier in this
thread, if I should line it in gold (the bike is green with gold
coachlines, see
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/Andre%20Jute's%20Utopia%20Kranich.pdf

Andre Jute
Old hotrodders never die
Old July 1st 09, 03:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich

"Andre Jute" wrote in message

Hey, I have drillium on my bike too, straight from the frame-builder,
and after seeing your work I was wondering aloud, earlier in this
thread, if I should line it in gold (the bike is green with gold
coachlines, see
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/Andre%20Jute's%20Utopia%20Kranich.pdf

That was quite interesting Andre. Thanks for the tour.

Old July 1st 09, 06:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Jul 1, 3:28*pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
"Andre Jute" wrote in message

Hey, I have drillium on my bike too, straight from the frame-builder,
and after seeing your work I was wondering aloud, earlier in this
thread, if I should line it in gold (the bike is green with gold
coachlines, see

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/Andre%20Jute's%20Utopia%20Kranich.pdf
That was quite interesting Andre. Thanks for the tour.

Happy to entertain a helpful cyclist.

Later, when I add the fitting-out section to that PDF, I'll also add
the drillium I missed photographing the first time round because I
didn't see it behind all the gear and fittings. (A really good frame
is one on which the owner for years discovers new felicities of
workmanship and use.) The brake bridge is beautifully laser cut. The
question arises, is a lasered cutout, no matter how intricate (in this
case the maker's name, Utopia, all caps) also drillium or does the
fact that it is computer-controlled exclude it? I just don't see even
Van Raam in The Netherlands, who built the frame with obvious loving
care, filing something that complicated by hand, or even Utopia
customers paying for so much time at Dutch labour rates (probably the
highest in the world, anyway near the top) for a brake bridge that is
almost totally hidden on the assembled bike. Yesterday Jeff the
Drillium and I were discussing the aesthetic place of pantographed
drillium; one wonders where CNC laser cutouts fit.

Andre Jute
Visit Andre's books at
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/THE%20WRITER'S%20HOUSE.html

Old July 1st 09, 10:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson[_5_]

Jay Beattie wrote:

Be careful with that crank

David Carradine's last words?

Bill "slow afternoon" S.

Old July 2nd 09, 01:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Jul 1, 2:03*pm, "Bill Sornson" wrote:
Jay Beattie wrote:
Be careful with that crank

David Carradine's last words?

Shame on you Grasshopper!
Old July 2nd 09, 04:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RonSonic

On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 15:11:30 -0400, Still Just Me...
wrote:

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 22:42:42 -0700 (PDT), Drillium Dude
wrote:

I appreciate you clearing that up for me. First time on this forum,
which in itself is really no excuse. My problem is probably that I'm
too literal; add the fact that I know next to nothing regarding the
people on this forum that obviously know one another and can pick up
the subtleties of what they write and there you go.

Best of luck then. There are some real characters here.

I dropped in on this as the subject was near and dear to my heart. No
offence intended. Your nice comments on my work are very much
appreciated, and I as well can appreciate your stance on usefulness.
A pal of mine, one who got me on the road to producing more than just
enough drillium to equip my own bike, is the same way. I go either
way, either fulfilling a client's wishes or to push the envelope of
what is possible. Again, in the end, it's all about fun!

I'm not sure how you find the time, although I admit to contemplating
some of my own. It's getting near to impossible to find NOS drllium
chain rings from the 70's these days to replace my worn rings.

I'd expect they were all either ridden into nubs, folded under pressure or are
being treasured and loved on a sunny-day bike that will not be sold until future
generations forget.

Probably have to start with a new ring and either do it yourself or get someone
to drill it for you.

Just out of idle curiousity, what BCD do you need?
Old July 3rd 09, 03:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Thompson

On 2009-07-01, Still Just Me wrote:

I'm not sure how you find the time, although I admit to contemplating
some of my own. It's getting near to impossible to find NOS drllium
chain rings from the 70's these days to replace my worn rings.

They still tun up on eBay every now and then. I picked this one up
couple months ago:

http://os2.dhs.org/~john/fixed-frame/drivetrain.jpg

--

-John )