Did Beloki roll off his real tire?

Old July 15th 03, 03:29 AM
Wade Summers

Default Did Beloki roll off his real tire?

"jjpsych" wrote in message
om...
I was watching this incident (and the replays) and it looked like
Beloki overheated his rear wheel and rolled off the tire. Does any
one know if he uses clinchers or tubulars?
It seems that Lance said something about Beloki was hard on the brakes
and then the tire came off.
Any definitative word from the team about the cause?

There is a pretty good still photo on cyclingnews...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tour.php?...i-armstrong-33

It doesn't look like the tire is off the rim. From the coverage I saw it
appeared he locked up the rear, it began to slide to his left and then it
caught sending the bike back the other way, where the rear wheel caught
again and high-sided Beloki but good.

Wade

Old July 15th 03, 03:37 AM
Edward Waffle

jjpsych wrote in message
. ..
I was watching this incident (and the replays) and it looked like
Beloki overheated his rear wheel and rolled off the tire. Does any
one know if he uses clinchers or tubulars?

Doesn't everyone in the TdF and other road races use clinchers? Or so I
thought.

Old July 15th 03, 04:51 AM
Ken Papai

"Edward Waffle" wrote in message

jjpsych wrote in message
. ..
I was watching this incident (and the replays) and it looked like
Beloki overheated his rear wheel and rolled off the tire. Does any
one know if he uses clinchers or tubulars?

Doesn't everyone in the TdF and other road races use clinchers? Or so I
thought.

My guess: 80% of the tyres in the Tour are tubulars.

Old July 15th 03, 05:07 AM
warren

In article 0TKQa.55574$GL4.14409@rwcrnsc53, Ken Papai
wrote:

"Edward Waffle" wrote in message

jjpsych wrote in message
. ..
I was watching this incident (and the replays) and it looked like
Beloki overheated his rear wheel and rolled off the tire. Does any
one know if he uses clinchers or tubulars?

Doesn't everyone in the TdF and other road races use clinchers? Or so I
thought.

My guess: 80% of the tyres in the Tour are tubulars.

As Frankie Andreau said not too long ago... "Race on clinchers? No way!"

-WG
Old July 15th 03, 06:34 AM
warren

wrote:

"Edward Waffle" wrote in message

jjpsych wrote in message
. ..
I was watching this incident (and the replays) and it looked like
Beloki overheated his rear wheel and rolled off the tire. Does any
one know if he uses clinchers or tubulars?

Doesn't everyone in the TdF and other road races use clinchers? Or so

thought.

My guess: 80% of the tyres in the Tour are tubulars.

As Frankie Andreau said not too long ago... "Race on clinchers? No way!"

I wouldn't either if I had mechanics and sponsors who took care of the
expense and hassle.

Easy, even for you. Conti Sprinters for about $40 each (CriteriumUSA).
Use FasTak $8/tube, less than two tubes per season. I use about 3 tires
for every 25-30 criteriums including about 5-10 days of track racing on
the front tire. Glue them at the beginning of the season and glue maybe
two more tires when the rear one(s) wears out. More trouble than
clinchers but not that much more trouble for racing.

-WG
Old July 15th 03, 10:23 AM
Ewoud Dronkert

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 04:10:33 GMT, Brian Phillips wrote:
In this photo
http://www.velonews.com/images/details/4520.5461.f.jpg
it looks like Beloki has a clincher rim.

Enlarged, brightened at
http://www.phys.uu.nl/~dronkert/cycl...ki14072003.jpg

Old July 15th 03, 12:36 PM
Wade Summers

"Ewoud Dronkert" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 04:10:33 GMT, Brian Phillips wrote:
In this photo
http://www.velonews.com/images/details/4520.5461.f.jpg
it looks like Beloki has a clincher rim.

Enlarged, brightened at
http://www.phys.uu.nl/~dronkert/cycl...ki14072003.jpg

Thanks. This same photo was used on the front page of our newspaper's sports
section and it is clear the tire is off the rim.

I would say this was a result of the crash and not the cause. Beloki starts
to skid before he began to turn. Typically you roll a tire in the corner. I
think the second time the rear wheel caught, high-siding Beloki, there was
enough force to pull some of the tire off the rim.

Wade

Old July 15th 03, 12:41 PM
Wade Summers

"Ken Papai" wrote in message

"Edward Waffle" wrote in message

jjpsych wrote in message
. ..
I was watching this incident (and the replays) and it looked like
Beloki overheated his rear wheel and rolled off the tire. Does any
one know if he uses clinchers or tubulars?

Doesn't everyone in the TdF and other road races use clinchers? Or so I
thought.

My guess: 80% of the tyres in the Tour are tubulars.

I'm not sure it is that high anymore. Maybe about 50% tubular these days?
Suppose it shifts from year to year depending on how many Michelin sponsored
teams are in the race.

Wade

Old July 15th 03, 01:28 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Edward- Doesn't everyone in the TdF and other road races use clinchers? Or
so I
thought. BRBR

Either Phil or Paul mentioned that most teams still use tubies and they are
correct. Tubie rims and tires are still plentiful, well made and not expensive,

Mavic
Velocity
Ambrosio

Vittoria
Veloflex
Conti

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Tire damage Roger Zoul General 0 May 4th 04 10:27 PM
Proper Tire Inflation Roger Zoul General 19 December 11th 03 12:42 PM
Women riding alone- is that THAT unusual?? Zoot Katz General 49 August 31st 03 02:17 AM
Flat Tire Repair Question from MB Newbie Sorni Mountain Biking 43 August 29th 03 01:14 PM
Q. Will I benefit from different tire size or type? Joe Samangitak General 15 August 8th 03 03:38 AM