Carbon steerer problems... eek do I need a new fork?

Old August 6th 07, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Arthur Clune

Default Carbon steerer problems... eek do I need a new fork?

Mark wrote:

So, now, when I take the stem off and look at the top of the steerer,
I can see that I've sort of dented and slightly squashed the top of
the steerer.

See if you can sell the fork s/h to someone who will be able to
cut it down to below the damage (which will be safe to use),
then buy a new fork and chalk it up to experience.

If you've squashed the steerer then the stem isn't going to
grip like it's designed to. This will a) make for a weaker
coupling and b) make the stress uneven. Both of these are
bad things.

Of course, it's you that has to ride the bike, but please
don't crash in front of me!

Arthur

The struggle of people against power is the struggle
of memory against forgetting - Milan Kundera

Old August 6th 07, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Merriman

Mark
pleasegivegenerously@warmail*turn_up_the_heat_to_ reply*.com.invalid
wrote:

i don't think that carbon gets fractued like alu does so it shouldn't
degrade in that way though it doesn't like impacts nor sun i'd guess.

I forgot to mention the crash damage...

mind you any frame if you'd attaully damadged it then it's probably
worth bining the frame.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com