CTC - the premier campaigning uselessness for UK cyclists

Old September 25th 07, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Jackson

Default CTC - the premier campaigning uselessness for UK cyclists

On the 5th of September I emailed :

As I've reported in the newsgroup cam.transport, I've had an appeal
upheld by the Independent Police Complaints Commission about the way
the police handled my complaint about the fact that they didn't
prosecute a taxi driver who rammed me from behind in December
(throwing me off my bike in front of three independent witnesses).
The complaint has been sent back to the constabulary for them to do
it properly this time.

I would like to try to make as much capital out of this as possible,
in terms of improving the treatment of cyclists by the Cambridgeshire
Constabulary.

Are the CTC or the CDF interested and do you have any suggestions for
me ? The police are supposed to get back to me and it would be good
for me to have a clear idea what I would like to get out of them.

My current thoughts are that I would like an apology in writing and a
promise to take incidents of bad driving directed against pedestrians
and cyclists seriously, even if there is no injury or collision.

(All the papers, letters, etc. can be found in cam.transport or I can
provide you with copies if you want.)

Of course I haven't had any reply. The Cambridge Cycling Campaign on
the other hand have kept themselves involved, and my MP has been at
least somewhat useful. This isn't the only time I've had the CTC
seem disinterested or useless.

--
Ian Jackson personal email:
These opinions are my own.
Old September 26th 07, 01:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Jackson

In article ,
Arthur Clune wrote:
1) Are you a member? If not, it's not that likely
they'll have resources to help. Even if you are,

Yes, I am. Do I have to give my membership number when I email them ?
It doesn't suggest on their website that I should.

2) Pointing them to "the newsgroup cam.transport"
isn't very helpful. If someone knows what a newsgroup
is then they'll find it's not widely carried and
the odds are high the person receiving the email
wouldn't know what a newsgroup is anyway.

So they could at least write back and say "more details please" !

A link to the exact thread on Google Groups might have
been more helpful, or even better a summary.

As you saw, the first paragraph of my email was a summary.

Old September 26th 07, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
7@m3 G33k

Ian Jackson wrote:
On the 5th of September I emailed :

snip

Of course I haven't had any reply. The Cambridge Cycling Campaign on
the other hand have kept themselves involved, and my MP has been at
least somewhat useful. This isn't the only time I've had the CTC
seem disinterested or useless.

Surprise, surprise you got a better response from a local cycling
organisation that from a national campaigning and policy organisation.
I'm sure your incident and subsequent dealings with indifferent plods
were of great significance to you and probably should be of significance
to cyclists in your area. So the CCC are involved, that's great.

But put yourself in the shoes of the CTC nationally. Not an organisation
with financial and human resources coming out of it's ears. In fairness
I can't see your particular campaign figuring on their list of
priorities simply due to lack of resources.

Also I think you'll find local campaigns are far more likely to gain
support from national organisations if there is more of a groundswell of
local organisation around an issue. So have you contacted the *local*
CTC branches and perhaps local cycling clubs? And in fairness do you
think that some poor sod in CTC head office with a million and one
things to do is more or less likely to give you a call back when you
publicly accuse the organisation of disinterest and uselessness?

Give the CTC a break - they try to do a good job in a fairly
cycling-unfriendly country with very limited resources.

Ian
Old September 26th 07, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Andy Leighton

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 09:18:53 GMT, 7@m3 G33k wrote:
Ian Jackson wrote:
[...]

I disagree. Surely what they could do is draft a public letter to the
members of ACPO pointing out the IPCC finding in Cambridge and stress the
importance of their forces not failing in a similar manner and exhort
upon them to make sure that their force is properly trained to deal
with such incidents and follow them up in an appropriate manner. We
have seen reports here of similar cases of police forces not really
taking such incidents seriously so although Ian's particular case is
local it has national importance.

--
Andy Leighton =

- Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_
Old September 26th 07, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
7@m3 G33k

Andy Leighton wrote:

I disagree. Surely what they could do is draft a public letter to the
members of ACPO pointing out the IPCC finding in Cambridge and stress the
importance of their forces not failing in a similar manner and exhort
upon them to make sure that their force is properly trained to deal
with such incidents and follow them up in an appropriate manner. We
have seen reports here of similar cases of police forces not really
taking such incidents seriously so although Ian's particular case is
local it has national importance.

Or maybe they have already done this *privately* in the interests of
maintaining a good working relationship with ACPO. This is of course a
judgement call whether or not to go public, it's only in the world of
Usenet (and possibly the Daily Mail) that screaming at the moon from the
rooftops is the preferred means of persuasion and debate.

Ian
Old September 26th 07, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Andy Leighton

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 12:04:57 GMT, 7@m3 G33k wrote:
Andy Leighton wrote:

I disagree. Surely what they could do is draft a public letter to the
members of ACPO pointing out the IPCC finding in Cambridge and stress the
importance of their forces not failing in a similar manner and exhort
upon them to make sure that their force is properly trained to deal
with such incidents and follow them up in an appropriate manner. We
have seen reports here of similar cases of police forces not really
taking such incidents seriously so although Ian's particular case is
local it has national importance.

Or maybe they have already done this *privately* in the interests of
maintaining a good working relationship with ACPO.

Possibly. I would still expect an email to Ian saying thanks for
bringing it to their attention and that they have privately followed
up with ACPO.

Old September 27th 07, 03:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Trevor A Panther[_2_]

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
[...]

Let's be basic. CTC will only promote CTC.

It is totally self sustaining and not interested in "local" issues

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,

Old September 27th 07, 06:29 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
burtthebike

"Trevor A Panther" wrote in message
. uk...

Let's be basic. CTC will only promote CTC.

It is totally self sustaining and not interested in "local" issues

Let's actually be truthful: local CTC sections are interested in local
issues, with or without inverted commas.

The CTC promotes cycling generally, and the CTC specifically.

Are you a member Trevor, or just a moaner?

Cyclists..NCG! Bill H. General 81 April 27th 07 03:31 AM
World Premier of Inner Balance - at BUC! mikepenton Unicycling 5 March 21st 07 11:51 AM
Where are all our cyclists? bicycle_disciple Techniques 14 October 8th 06 05:47 AM
Do cyclists' dogs chase cyclists? Gooserider General 14 May 9th 06 01:22 PM
Premier late 70's cyclists Cooke & Pringle ? Evan Evans Racing 5 November 1st 03 10:15 PM