Commuting on skinny tyres

Old October 15th 07, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Commuting on skinny tyres

I've been commuting on 700 x 23c tyres during the summer wthout
incident but with the weather about to turn is there anybody out there
using such skinny tyres in the winter months? Or should I get a hack
bike for the coming months. My Specialized Langster won't accept a
wider tyre I think. Any opinions most welcome.

Old October 15th 07, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Thanks guys, I have Specialized Mondo's fitted as standard at the
moment but will buy Conti's in the future. I have RaceBlades fitted
and find them excellent apart from a little bit of toe-overlap because
of them but not enough to cause distress. I think I shall continue
riding the Langster during winter as singlespeeds are recommended for
winter training anyway.

Cheers, Bill

Old October 15th 07, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Duncan Smith

On 2007-10-15, wrote:

I've been commuting on 700 x 23c tyres during the summer wthout
incident but with the weather about to turn is there anybody out there
using such skinny tyres in the winter months? Or should I get a hack
bike for the coming months. My Specialized Langster won't accept a
wider tyre I think. Any opinions most welcome.

I have for 3 years since the frame of my fixie also won't accept wider
tyres. I've had the odd skitter where I think a wider tyre might've
helped but the biggest problem IMO is the hard ride when
one happens to hit a rough spot that was hiding in the darkness. Ow!

I'd definitely recommend some mudguards if you can squeeze them in
though. Cold wet slutch up your back is not a good way to start the
day...

Some good news and bad news. You can fit 700x28c's in the Langster -
I used to run 23s in the summer and 28s in the winter. It's not a
bike to take fenders though. You could get one in the front if you
change the carbon front fork for some cross forks or something, but
you're only option for the back will be a seat-post mounted jobbie.

Regards,

Duncan

Old October 16th 07, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Oct 15, 5:43 pm, wrote:
I've been commuting on 700 x 23c tyres during the summer wthout
incident but with the weather about to turn is there anybody out there
using such skinny tyres in the winter months? Or should I get a hack
bike for the coming months. My Specialized Langster won't accept a
wider tyre I think. Any opinions most welcome.

I have commuted year round for some 6 years in London on 23s. I lost
the front end once on a drain cover. On my occaisional 700x32 bike I
have low-sided twice on bends in the wet. I don't think either crash
resulted from hitting anyt object or surface irregularity in the
carriageway

best wishes
james

Old October 16th 07, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Duncan Smith

On Oct 16, 3:49 am, Rob Morley wrote:
In article .com,
Duncan Smith
says...

Some good news and bad news. You can fit 700x28c's in the Langster -
I used to run 23s in the summer and 28s in the winter. It's not a
bike to take fenders though. You could get one in the front if you
change the carbon front fork for some cross forks or something, but
you're only option for the back will be a seat-post mounted jobbie.

Funny how Bill's running Race Blades then ...

With 28s?

skinny(ish) muni tires????????????????????????????? mornish Unicycling 8 October 17th 06 08:51 PM
tall and skinny Andy UK 5 November 30th 05 08:24 PM
skinny mtb tyres for communiting. (26 inch) ` Australia 9 April 26th 05 02:19 AM
Good tyres for (quick) commuting? Alan Paterson UK 9 April 9th 05 05:06 PM
Commuting Tyres help UK 4 February 21st 04 06:24 PM