So, will Michael Rogers...

Old July 2nd 04, 09:07 PM
Sonarrat

Default So, will Michael Rogers...

....take over the rainbow?
Old July 3rd 04, 02:45 AM
Chris

"Sonarrat" wrote in message
om...
...take over the rainbow?

In theory, yes. Tyler should also get the stage win retroactively as well
for last years final Tour ITT including prize money and UCI points. All this
will happen when the UCI adjudicates the Millar case with the reported
confession.

Old July 3rd 04, 07:40 AM
Howard Kveck

In article ,
"Chris" wrote:

"Sonarrat" wrote in message
om...
...take over the rainbow?

In theory, yes. Tyler should also get the stage win retroactively as well
for last years final Tour ITT including prize money and UCI points. All this
will happen when the UCI adjudicates the Millar case with the reported
confession.

Well, that would depend on him admitting he'd used it during the time
frames for those races. From the Cyclingnews article, he took "three
courses of EPO, one week each, during 2001 and 2003." Now, it's a
reasonable assumption that he might have taken two of those courses of EPO
to help him for the TdF and the Worlds, but I haven't seen anything that
specific yet.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...ul04/jul02news

--
tanx,
Howard

"The fickleness of fame and fortune's caprice
Together changed the life of Mason Reese"
Alice Donut

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old July 3rd 04, 08:46 AM
Stewart Fleming

Howard Kveck wrote:

Well, that would depend on him admitting he'd used it during the time
frames for those races. From the Cyclingnews article, he took "three
courses of EPO, one week each, during 2001 and 2003." Now, it's a
reasonable assumption that he might have taken two of those courses of EPO
to help him for the TdF and the Worlds, but I haven't seen anything that
specific yet.

There was a comment from 3 Cofidis equipiers that they got the "leftover
juice" from Millar's time-trial preparation for the final stage of last
year's tour...

Old July 3rd 04, 10:06 AM
Benjamin Weiner

Stewart Fleming wrote:

There was a comment from 3 Cofidis equipiers that they got the "leftover
juice" from Millar's time-trial preparation for the final stage of last
year's tour...

Yes, though I never understood that story. It seems, of all
performance enhancing drugs, EPO is the one you wouldn't want to
take the day before a big stage. The whole idea is that it has
a lag of days to a few weeks to raise hematocrit, but one only
risks testing positive in the first few days, so one would take it
shortly before a 3 week tour, or in the first week maybe.

I don't know what juice is good the evening before - stimulants,
pot Belge? Damn, I should have read Voet's book more carefully,
no wonder I'm getting dropped in Fattie races!

Old July 3rd 04, 03:34 PM
Chris

"Howard Kveck" wrote in message
In article ,
"Chris" wrote:

"Sonarrat" wrote in message
om...
...take over the rainbow?

In theory, yes. Tyler should also get the stage win retroactively as

well
for last years final Tour ITT including prize money and UCI points. All

this
will happen when the UCI adjudicates the Millar case with the reported
confession.

Well, that would depend on him admitting he'd used it during the time
frames for those races. From the Cyclingnews article, he took "three
courses of EPO, one week each, during 2001 and 2003." Now, it's a
reasonable assumption that he might have taken two of those courses of EPO
to help him for the TdF and the Worlds, but I haven't seen anything that
specific yet.

I do not remember the source, but I know that he was accused of using it for
the final ITT and the confession came from that accusation, I think by a
team mate (or more than one team mate). I believe that is the one time in
2003 he copped to it. You may be right about the World's ITT but if they
make his suspension restroactive to the time of the finding, it is possible
to lose that as well either that way or by further discovery of his specific
abuses. You may be right though and it is at least even odds that he keeps
the World's title. I really do not know how the UCI will handle this and I
don't recall any previous cases like this where a confession covered such
important wins (or any wins at all).

Old July 3rd 04, 10:05 PM
Benjamin Weiner

Chris wrote:

I do not remember the source, but I know that he was accused of using it for
the final ITT and the confession came from that accusation, I think by a
team mate (or more than one team mate). I believe that is the one time in
2003 he copped to it. You may be right about the World's ITT but if they
make his suspension restroactive to the time of the finding, it is possible
to lose that as well either that way or by further discovery of his specific
abuses. You may be right though and it is at least even odds that he keeps
the World's title. I really do not know how the UCI will handle this and I
don't recall any previous cases like this where a confession covered such
important wins (or any wins at all).

Jerome Chiotti and Thomas Frischknecht, MTB world champs 1996.
Chiotti copped to it years later - unlike Millar, without getting
busted - and the jersey went to Frischknecht. However, IIRC
the UCI originally wasn't going to make Frischy the official
champion, but Chiotti insisted. Of course they suspended
Chiotti for confessed drug use (and no doubt for making them
look bad).

Old July 3rd 04, 11:35 PM
Chris

"Benjamin Weiner" wrote in message
Chris wrote:

[...]

I had the sense there was some precedent but could not even get close to
remembering that one. Hopefully that will be considered a precedent for the
Millar case. BTW, Phil was brutal on the subject stately flatly that his
career is over and that he is "an anonymous man as far as cycling is
concerned". This case is probably the worst embarrassment ever for pro
cyclists. I thought about it a bit since this morning and in retrospect we
should have wondered how he could be so cavalier about preparation and still
hit top form when his objectives arrived. I thought he was really gifted,
but I thought it was natural.

Old July 4th 04, 09:57 PM
Howard Kveck

Chris wrote:

[...]

I remember that Chiotti actually admitted he'd been using EPO when he
won his title, which would make it much easier to take the jersey away (odd
that the UCI was initially so reluctant to take it - maybe they thought it
would reflect badly on them to have champion who won when doped). As far as
I know, Millar hasn't gone so far as copping to using when he won Worlds,
but it may still happen. As for Ligget's comments, well, I'd say he feels
pretty let down by Millar. The thing is, I think Millar is actually pretty
talented, but has psychological issues, mostly having to do with
confidence. I think if he could maintain a more consistent training regimen
than it sounds like he seems to do, he'd win as much as he has without
dope. And he'd win far more if he he had a good DS that understood sports
psychology. Riis?