Hiring a fast bike?

Old August 1st 07, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
news.plus.net

Default Hiring a fast bike?

Hi,

today on my ride home from work, I managed to beat my personal best average
speed by 0.3 mph. Not a big gain, but I was pleased about it.

I ride a touring bike, an old Harry Hall frame with mudguards, rack, 25c
wide tyres, and had a pannier on one side.

I have often been curious about whether I'd go +loads+ faster on a posh
sporty bike, instead of a touring bike.

I'm not so affluent as to go out and buy a posh sports bike just to try it
out.

So - does anyone have any experience of hiring posh sporty bikes? A quick
google for 'cheshire bike hire' returns the standard mtb hire type things,
but not a lot else.

It's probably a silly query really, but I thought I'd run it past
uk.rec.cycling to see what others thought. I suppose borrowing someone's
bike would be another option, but I don't know anyone with a posh bike, so
that rules that out.

Thanks

Jim

Old August 1st 07, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

news.plus.net wrote:

It's probably a silly query really, but I thought I'd run it past
uk.rec.cycling to see what others thought. I suppose borrowing someone's
bike would be another option, but I don't know anyone with a posh bike, so
that rules that out.

Look up your local club and get to know the Chain Gang. That way
you'll soon know someone with a posh bike.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old August 1st 07, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
news.plus.net

Look up your local club and get to know the Chain Gang. That way you'll
soon know someone with a posh bike.

That's a good idea - but I'm busy with kids and family at weekends and
evenings. I commute to work, which is about the only time I ride.

Sorry to be awkward. I realise I'm probably asking a daft question...

Old August 2nd 07, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick Kew

On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 02:08:22 +0100
Rob Morley wrote:

I have often been curious about whether I'd go +loads+ faster on a
posh sporty bike, instead of a touring bike.

It won't make a huge difference, assuming that you normally pump your
tyres up and your current gearing suits you.

The change in geometry can spur the body on into putting in more
effort to go fast. And if you're in decent shape, it's painless.

Some years back, I borrowed a racing bike and took it for a spin.
I was on hols in Northumberland at the time, having taken just over
three days to cycle from Bath (that's ~100 miles/day solo with full
camping gear, so I must've been in decent shape). The big difference
the racer made was that suddenly my speed on the uphills felt fast -
it had probably at least doubled from my normal unhurried plod.

--
not me guv
Old August 2nd 07, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Aug 1, 10:00 pm, "news.plus.net" i-am-a-ro...@little-pink-
nose.com wrote:
Look up your local club and get to know the Chain Gang. That way you'll
soon know someone with a posh bike.

That's a good idea - but I'm busy with kids and family at weekends and
evenings. I commute to work, which is about the only time I ride.

Sorry to be awkward. I realise I'm probably asking a daft question...

Not at all.

I have several times casually looked into hiring road bikes for
friends who fancy joining in the fun for a weekend, and like you have
drawn something of a blank. I don't know if there simply isn't the
market (anyone who wants to ride a road bike goes out and buys one,
everyone else just want to hire something "simple") or if I'm just
looking in the wrong places.

Old August 2nd 07, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

wrote in message
ups.com...

I have several times casually looked into hiring road bikes for
friends who fancy joining in the fun for a weekend, and like you have
drawn something of a blank. I don't know if there simply isn't the
market (anyone who wants to ride a road bike goes out and buys one,
everyone else just want to hire something "simple") or if I'm just
looking in the wrong places.

Unhelpful answer - the bike shops near the famous cols in the alps and
pyrenees rent out fairly good road bikes :-)

cheers,
clive

Old August 2nd 07, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

"Ace" wrote in message

As an aside, the "Tour d'Alsace" came along our road yesterday -
looked to be quite a large event, but surely it won't be the same top
teams as the TdeF, so soon after that finished, would it?

The big teams normally have enough riders for more than one event, but yes,
I wouldn't expect to be seeing the TdF riders in there, and the team mix
will be different.

cheers,
clive

Magic Mountain Hiring Unicyclists caw89 Unicycling 6 May 11th 06 08:22 AM
Hiring a tandem Plodder Australia 2 March 18th 06 06:13 AM
Hiring bikes in London Mark McN UK 2 July 2nd 04 09:07 PM
A short intro, & a question about hiring/borrowing eddiec Australia 4 March 15th 04 02:00 AM
Hiring bikes in USA Ian Rides 5 July 4th 03 02:12 AM