Wanted: BB cup jam nuts (Attn: LBS retail sales)

Old October 2nd 07, 03:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones[_2_]

Default Wanted: BB cup jam nuts (Attn: LBS retail sales)

Hello;

I'm using a Phil BB and cups in a build. (1.375 X 24, English).
There exist some "jam nuts" that screw onto the exposed thread of the
cup; they're probably cosmetic because Phil doesn't have them;
however, they do give the final assembly a nice, finished look.

Any of you LBS types have these? I have a shopping list of other
parts that I'm pretty sure you do have; I'd just like to find a pair
(LH/RH) of the jam nuts and order all of it at once.

Jones

Old October 2nd 07, 04:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank Wirtz

On Oct 2, 7:06 am, !Jones wrote:
Hello;

I'm using a Phil BB and cups in a build. (1.375 X 24, English).
There exist some "jam nuts" that screw onto the exposed thread of the
cup; they're probably cosmetic because Phil doesn't have them;
however, they do give the final assembly a nice, finished look.

Any of you LBS types have these? I have a shopping list of other
parts that I'm pretty sure you do have; I'd just like to find a pair
(LH/RH) of the jam nuts and order all of it at once.

Jones

Well, on the left side, you could just use a regular lockring. Don't
know of any reverse-threaded ones, though.

Once again, Peter Chisholm is right - Italian threading is far better,
because in this case, you could use two regular lockrings!

Old October 2nd 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com is offline
Banned

On Oct 2, 8:06 am, !Jones wrote:
Hello;

I'm using a Phil BB and cups in a build. (1.375 X 24, English).
There exist some "jam nuts" that screw onto the exposed thread of the
cup; they're probably cosmetic because Phil doesn't have them;
however, they do give the final assembly a nice, finished look.

Any of you LBS types have these? I have a shopping list of other
parts that I'm pretty sure you do have; I'd just like to find a pair
(LH/RH) of the jam nuts and order all of it at once.

Jones

Think you are talking about BB lockrings like found on adjustable cup
BBs but the Phils I have installed have the cups all the way into the
BB shell, with little/no threads showing so you wouldn't be able to
screw on a lockring anywho-

Old October 2nd 07, 08:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones[_2_]

On Oct 2, 12:33 pm, "Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com"
wrote:

Think you are talking about BB lockrings like found on adjustable cup
BBs but the Phils I have installed have the cups all the way into the
BB shell, with little/no threads showing so you wouldn't be able to
screw on a lockring anywho-

Yup. If you glue the cups in with locktight, as one should, then
they're probably just cosmetic. My instalation caught enough thread
to hold 'em OK, but I have a fair amount of thread sticking out. The
bike is an antique and I mainly want it to look finished. I spoze I
can get on the lathe and make a set; however, if my time is worth
anything, it's generally easier simply to buy 'em. I have a Paramount
tandem with Phil BBs and it has lock rings... the Phil people acted
like they didn't know what I was talking about, though.

Jones

Old October 2nd 07, 08:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

!Jones wrote:
Hello;

I'm using a Phil BB and cups in a build. (1.375 X 24, English).
There exist some "jam nuts" that screw onto the exposed thread of the
cup; they're probably cosmetic because Phil doesn't have them;
however, they do give the final assembly a nice, finished look.

Any of you LBS types have these? I have a shopping list of other
parts that I'm pretty sure you do have; I'd just like to find a pair
(LH/RH) of the jam nuts and order all of it at once.

Jones

Is this what you're looking for:
"http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&ID=2294"?
or is it the wrong threading?
Old October 2nd 07, 08:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones[_2_]

On Oct 2, 10:56 am, Hank Wirtz wrote:

Once again, Peter Chisholm is right - Italian threading is far better,
because in this case, you could use two regular lockrings!

If you say so, then it must be right.

OTOH, the Wop threads have a 30 mm X 1 pitch, which isn't exactly what
I'd call "regular". A 1 3/16 X 24 lock ring will screw on if you
don't need a lot of torque; it'll be sloppy, though. (Yeah, I'll pick
a box of those up at my local hardware store, I will!) If I end up
cutting them, then it's six of one and half a dozen of the other. For
LH thread, you just reverse the spindle and turn the threading tool
over.

I have heard that argument before, but I don't see any clear reason to
say one or the other is better. The reverse threading on the Limey
BBs seems to make some sense, I guess... a little... maybe. OTOH, I
have seen RH cups forced into the left side or visa versa, a faux pas
that will seriously ruin the aspiring mechanic's day!

While we're here, let's discuss crank pullers! There's just enough
difference in them to strip a crank. I heard that the bike shops did
that so they could sell more cranks... it's a damn conspiracy, I
say!!!

Jones

Old October 2nd 07, 09:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank Wirtz

On Oct 2, 12:36 pm, !Jones wrote:
On Oct 2, 10:56 am, Hank Wirtz wrote:

Once again, Peter Chisholm is right - Italian threading is far better,
because in this case, you could use two regular lockrings!

If you say so, then it must be right.

OTOH, the Wop threads have a 30 mm X 1 pitch, which isn't exactly what
I'd call "regular". A 1 3/16 X 24 lock ring will screw on if you
don't need a lot of torque; it'll be sloppy, though. (Yeah, I'll pick
a box of those up at my local hardware store, I will!) If I end up
cutting them, then it's six of one and half a dozen of the other. For
LH thread, you just reverse the spindle and turn the threading tool
over.

Sorry, that's something of a running gag...Peter will say that Italian
threads are the best because they're Italian, and Sheldon or Jobst or
somebody else will jump all over him for it. I'm not sure that he
actually feels that way.

See http://tinyurl.com/yoqjz9

Old October 2nd 07, 11:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones[_2_]

On Oct 2, 3:11 pm, Hank Wirtz wrote:
On Oct 2, 12:36 pm, !Jones wrote:

Sorry, that's something of a running gag...Peter will say that Italian
threads are the best because they're Italian, and Sheldon or Jobst or
somebody else will jump all over him for it. I'm not sure that he
actually feels that way.

Oh, well... some people have strong feelings. Don't get me started
about my Bendix red-band "kick down" hubs. (When bicyclists were
*real* men... )

I don't think I got the size right on the Wop thread, anyway.
Something is bothering me about that major diameter... but I didn't
tell anyone to *do* anything!!!

Jones

Old October 2nd 07, 11:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones[_2_]

On Oct 2, 10:56 am, Hank Wirtz wrote:

Once again, Peter Chisholm is right - Italian threading is far better,
because in this case, you could use two regular lockrings!

I guess y'all are right... but I know that I have an old Phil BB with
two rings. Maybe someone added 'em later???

That's OK. I'll chuck up a piece of T6 and turn a set. They don't
actually *do* anything 'cept look cool. I'll get 'em black anodized
and they'll be slicker 'n boogers on a brass doorknob!

Jones

Old October 3rd 07, 12:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

!Jones wrote:
I guess y'all are right... but I know that I have an old Phil BB with
two rings. Maybe someone added 'em later???
That's OK. I'll chuck up a piece of T6 and turn a set. They don't
actually *do* anything 'cept look cool. I'll get 'em black anodized
and they'll be slicker 'n boogers on a brass doorknob!

Maybe. Or your tandem BB is actually a Kajita or Suntour by Kajita which
was a common tandem piece in the 1980s and does have RH+LH lockrings.

Besides all that, Peter's right, Forza Italia!

http://www.italy-news.net/articoli/eng/articolo_06.php3
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Retail Markup on Bikes at LBS ? rs General 5 August 19th 05 01:43 AM
Retail therapy Johnny O-R Australia 4 December 6th 04 12:55 PM
Retail Performance Stores asking for customer name. Dan O'Brasky General 29 August 30th 03 08:25 AM