tennis elbow from cycling?

Old January 14th 08, 09:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default tennis elbow from cycling?

I've been riding a hybrid - averaging about 6 miles a day on urban
roads - for about five months (hadn't cycled for a long time before
that) and developed tennis elbow a couple of months ago. I've been
wearing a brace when cycling and it's not getting worse but not
getting better either. Could cycling be the cause and, if so, what's
the cure? I know the standard answer is "rest" but is there a way to
fix it without stopping cycling (ie an adjustment on the bike or a
change in riding position?)
Max
Old January 14th 08, 11:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Michael Baldwin

Max asks

Could cycling be the cause and, if so, what's the
cure?

I've suffered with tennis elbow for decades. I have to remind myself
to keep my thumbs "up" whenever possible.

Example, when picking up a bucket I always "under hand" it (thumb up)
You may consider some short bar ends for your bike.

Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

Old January 14th 08, 11:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John Kane

On Jan 14, 4:05 pm, wrote:
I've been riding a hybrid - averaging about 6 miles a day on urban
roads - for about five months (hadn't cycled for a long time before
that) and developed tennis elbow a couple of months ago. I've been
wearing a brace when cycling and it's not getting worse but not
getting better either. Could cycling be the cause and, if so, what's
the cure? I know the standard answer is "rest" but is there a way to
fix it without stopping cycling (ie an adjustment on the bike or a
change in riding position?)
Max

Now that you are suffering it, it may be difficult without some time
resting but pehaps bar ends, or even going to drop bars ? Anything
that provides a change of position should help.

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Old January 15th 08, 01:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Jan 14, 3:05 pm, wrote:
I've been riding a hybrid - averaging about 6 miles a day on urban
roads - for about five months (hadn't cycled for a long time before
that) and developed tennis elbow a couple of months ago. I've been
wearing a brace when cycling and it's not getting worse but not
getting better either. Could cycling be the cause and, if so, what's
the cure? I know the standard answer is "rest" but is there a way to
fix it without stopping cycling (ie an adjustment on the bike or a
change in riding position?)
Max

Flat bars can be murder on your arms. It's a cheap quick fix.

Trekking bars are readily available from REI as "Safari" handlebars or
from Nashbar for $25. Don't forget to get tape. If you're in Europe
these are already ubiquitous.

Alternately, and even more cheep are a set of Wald #8095
http://www.johndogfood.com/john/CB-1.html

Or if you want modern looking, but a similar sweep, an On-One Mary or
Origin8 space bar.

Nitto also has plenty of bends for that fit your controls, you might
like a "Priest" if you feel like you're reaching a bit now, as it
sweeps back pretty far:

http://bessasandackerman.com/blog/?p=46
Old January 15th 08, 03:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Pat[_4_]

I've been riding a hybrid - averaging about 6 miles a day on urban
roads - for about five months (hadn't cycled for a long time before
that) and developed tennis elbow a couple of months ago. I've been
wearing a brace when cycling and it's not getting worse but not
getting better either.

I got tennis elbow once from shoveling snow! Is the brace you're wearing the
narrow strap type that goes on your muscle in front of the elbow? That is to
"shorten the lever arm" by clamping down on the forearm muscles. It helps a
lot, but rest, as you know, is best.

Good luck. It'll take some time.

Old January 15th 08, 03:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
ZBicyclist

Pat wrote:
I've been riding a hybrid - averaging about 6 miles a day on urban
roads - for about five months (hadn't cycled for a long time before
that) and developed tennis elbow a couple of months ago. I've been
wearing a brace when cycling and it's not getting worse but not
getting better either.

I got tennis elbow once from shoveling snow! Is the brace you're
wearing the narrow strap type that goes on your muscle in front of
the elbow? That is to "shorten the lever arm" by clamping down on the
forearm muscles. It helps a lot, but rest, as you know, is best.

I hate to do a "me-too" post, but I didn't believe this type of brace could
be helpful until I tried it. It definitely helped me.

--
Mike Kruger
Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

Old January 15th 08, 04:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

landotter wrote:
Flat bars can be murder on your arms. It's a cheap quick fix....

I find flat bars perfectly comfortable for 8-hour rides, with the right
riding position. With the wrong position, more than about 2 hours causes
extended numbness in one or more fingers.

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people."
- A. Derleth
Old January 15th 08, 09:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Yes, its one of those braced that goes just below your elbow. My
doctor was a bit sceptical about them but I've definitely found they
help when you just can't avoid using your arm.
Old January 15th 08, 09:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Max who? writes:

Could cycling be the cause and, if so, what's the cure?

Take the tennis balls out of the front wheel and don't mount playing
cards on clothespins on the seatstays of your bicycle.

Jobst Brandt
Old January 15th 08, 10:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Jan 15, 3:16 pm, wrote:
Max who? writes:
Could cycling be the cause and, if so, what's the cure?

Take the tennis balls out of the front wheel and don't mount playing
cards on clothespins on the seatstays of your bicycle.

Hitting the sauce a little early, eh?

No parking for bikes at the US Tennis Open dgk General 7 September 4th 07 06:01 PM
Unicycling tennis Gumba23 Unicycling 11 June 25th 07 07:12 AM
Tennis elbow elyob UK 12 June 1st 07 11:54 PM
Tennis Shoe Unicycles. Experience anyone? beelzebub of balance Unicycling 12 August 10th 04 07:32 AM