SIX thousand and FIVE hundred lumens !!!!!!!!!!

Old October 4th 18, 07:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default SIX thousand and FIVE hundred lumens !!!!!!!!!!

On 2018-10-01 15:14, wrote:
http://reviews.mtbr.com/magicshine-l...2018-interbike

The beloved Magicshine brings us what we finally need in bike lights.
Thanks to all the gods.Â* 6500 lumens!Â* I think you can have either
5000 or 1500 or all 6500 lumens.Â* Thankfully now we will not only be
able to blind everyone else on the road or trail, but we can now
cause their eyeballs to burst into flames and maybe hopefully their
heads will also explode.Â* Yeah!!!!!!

This one for their rear light is weird, quote "A sleep mode is
triggered after one minute of inaction to save power, any vibration
will immediately re-activate the unit".

So the light will go out while waiting at an intersection? Really?
Nobody raised their hand during the design review? Was there even a
design review?

First, their definition of "sleep mode" may not be "goes out." It could,
I suppose, just become much dimmer. In any case, it would be easy enough
to jiggle the bike a bit to turn it back on.

Not very smart on the part of the design engineers.

But it's probably not necessary. Ohio law specifically permits lights
that go out when the bike is stationary, ...

Not a smart decision by the lawmakers.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* ... and there's never been a report
of a death or serious injury caused by that feature.

Grandpa drove without a seat belt all his life and never go hurt, so ...

Grandpa also rode his bicycle without a six foot tall safety flag, a
siren, a bell constantly and automatically ringing every time he moved,
pads on his knees, pads on his elbows, body armor protecting his spine.
Why are you not using all those measures?

(Actually, maybe you are. With you, we never know.)

BTW, it even happens from the front, even by police officers:

https://fox2now.com/2018/07/30/polic...hone-in-video/

Nothing can replace bright light other than even brighter lights. Which
both of my bikes have.

Joerg, you're the master of the worldwide search for the vanishingly
rare exception. That is NOT a common crash type, as any dispassionate
search of the literature would shoe. And you have no evidence that your
daytime headlight would have prevented it.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* ... When cyclists stop,
it's almost always because of a red light or stop sign. Motorists stop
for those things as well (in fact, more often than cyclists do). A
motorist coming to a stop at night will see a stationary cyclist in the
lane in front of him.

Not if you are waiting in a turn lane without a light. That's where a
local cyclist was hit, hard. I don't remember if she survived but she
was mangled pretty badly.

Does that worry you? Then don't wait in a turn lane. I assume it was a
left turn lane; but nervous nellies can always pull off to the right and
wait until traffic is clear both ways before proceeding.

Myself, I've almost always made left turns as a legitimate vehicle
operator. I've never had a problem with it, I've never known another
person who had a problem with it, and I've never read of a fatality
report related to it.

(BTW, I am on a local safety committee that keeps tabs on such things.
It's not hard work, because bike fatalities are extremely rare.)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 4th 18, 08:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-10-04 11:50, Frank Krygowski wrote:

[...]

(BTW, I am on a local safety committee that keeps tabs on such things.
It's not hard work, because bike fatalities are extremely rare.)

After three fatalities in one month Sacramento just made it into the sad
category of one of the most dangerous cycling places in the country :-(

I was not surprised. As I've said before, it's not only fatalities that
matter but also serious injuries, some with life-long consequences. So
if there is mostly good cycling infrastructure I ride even long trips.
If there isn't I do not ride or I use motor vehicles, public ones or mine.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old October 4th 18, 08:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2018-10-01 15:14, wrote:
http://reviews.mtbr.com/magicshine-l...2018-interbike

The beloved Magicshine brings us what we finally need in bike lights.
Thanks to all the gods. 6500 lumens! I think you can have either
5000 or 1500 or all 6500 lumens. Thankfully now we will not only be
able to blind everyone else on the road or trail, but we can now
cause their eyeballs to burst into flames and maybe hopefully their
heads will also explode. Yeah!!!!!!

[...]

Spoken like a man who doesn't ride around other dopes on bikes with blinding, mega-lights. Try that for a while and you'll start feeling like a homicidal postal worker.

It takes very little light to be conspicuous at night, and it takes no additional light to be conspicuous during the day -- assuming broad daylight without cloud cover or other low-light condition.

Even when a light improves day-time conspicuity in a meaningful way, that improvement can be achieved with a modest pulsing front light (not a retina-busting landing strobe). Bright lights are to see things. You go with 1K lumen lights so you can see on a 30mph downhill or in the pouring rain and not so people can see you. You can be seen with a few hundred lumens or less. I have no problem seeing the dozens or hundreds of cyclists I see every day with no lights. The amazing Odense study that proved -- I say PROVED! -- the safety benefits of DRLs used some hub-height flea-watt mag induction light. I got the same effect by taping a rabbit's foot to my handlebars. I haven't been hit ever since, and cars show me more respect -- I can just tell.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old October 4th 18, 08:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-10-01 15:14, wrote:
http://reviews.mtbr.com/magicshine-l...2018-interbike

The beloved Magicshine brings us what we finally need in bike
lights. Thanks to all the gods. 6500 lumens! I think you
can have either 5000 or 1500 or all 6500 lumens. Thankfully
now we will not only be able to blind everyone else on the
road or trail, but we can now cause their eyeballs to burst
into flames and maybe hopefully their heads will also
explode. Yeah!!!!!!

[...]

I often encounter riders who didn't or forgot to turn off their powerful
lights on the bike paths (I always do). It doesn't bother me at all. On
the contrary, I applaud cyclists having good lights on their bikes.

It takes very little light to be conspicuous at night, and it takes
no additional light to be conspicuous during the day -- assuming
broad daylight without cloud cover or other low-light condition.

My experience is clearly different.

Even when a light improves day-time conspicuity in a meaningful way,
that improvement can be achieved with a modest pulsing front light
(not a retina-busting landing strobe). Bright lights are to see
things. You go with 1K lumen lights so you can see on a 30mph
downhill or in the pouring rain and not so people can see you.

That's why I use the highest setting of about 800 lumens only at night.
Usually not during the day unless car drivers behave unruly, in which
case the ship gets fully lit.

... You
can be seen with a few hundred lumens or less. I have no problem
seeing the dozens or hundreds of cyclists I see every day with no
lights. The amazing Odense study that proved -- I say PROVED! -- the
safety benefits of DRLs used some hub-height flea-watt mag induction
light. I got the same effect by taping a rabbit's foot to my
handlebars. I haven't been hit ever since, and cars show me more
respect -- I can just tell.

I've had accidents where drivers didn't notice me in time or misjudged
my speed. One crash dented the door of a car so bad that the driver
could no longer open it from the inside.

I usually keep DRL front at 3W which is probably about 300 lumens plus
has a diffusor lens. Not blinding at all. When I notice too many drivers
cutting in front of me it goes to max and then some seem to be
anticipating a motorcycle, stopping hard way before I arrive. The
difference is remarkable.

As for flashing I don't like that. Only my road bike has a flash mode up
front and I never use that. The rear lights do flash but in a soft way,
gently pulsing up and down like police cruiser roof lights. In tech
terms that's called PWM control. Gets the attention but doesn't annoy.

A rule I always follow after mounting a light is to turn it to full bore
at night and then watch my lit bike from the prosition of a pedestrian,
then a dog or other animal (by squatting down) and from inside a car. I
want them not to be blinding and mine aren't.

Old October 4th 18, 10:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

On 2018-10-01 15:14, wrote:
[...]

Looks like the video has been taken down, at least fox2now.com can't
find it. The accident happened in broad daylight, no vehicles save the
cop SUV and the cyclist visible for miles, cyclist waiting at an
intersection, I think for a stop sign. Total f*up on the part of the
cop, who was more or less apologetic. A daytime running light would not
have helped.
Old October 4th 18, 11:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-10-01 15:14, wrote:
[...]

Works fine here.

... The accident happened in broad daylight, no vehicles save the
cop SUV and the cyclist visible for miles, cyclist waiting at an
intersection, I think for a stop sign. Total f*up on the part of the
cop, who was more or less apologetic. A daytime running light would not
have helped.

Not true. I clearly found that drivers notice me much better with bright
lights. Even in the corner of their eyes is enough because it
"distracts" them in a good way. All it takes is noticing a cyclist a
second or two earlier and a collision can be avoided.

There is a reason why DRL have been mandatory on US motorcycles for a
long time.

Old October 5th 18, 02:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

On 2018-10-01 15:14, wrote:
[...]

Works for me now, no more "video unavailable".

... The accident happened in broad daylight, no vehicles save the
cop SUV and the cyclist visible for miles, cyclist waiting at an
intersection, I think for a stop sign. Total f*up on the part of the
cop, who was more or less apologetic. A daytime running light would not
have helped.

Not true. I clearly found that drivers notice me much better with
bright lights. Even in the corner of their eyes is enough because it
"distracts" them in a good way. All it takes is noticing a cyclist a
second or two earlier and a collision can be avoided.

Seriously? The cop would have looked up from his phone if only the
cyclist had had a light? Sounds like magic.

Old October 5th 18, 04:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2018-10-04 12:18, jbeattie wrote:

It takes very little light to be conspicuous at night, and it takes
no additional light to be conspicuous during the day -- assuming
broad daylight without cloud cover or other low-light condition.

My experience is clearly different.

Your experiences are almost always unique, not just different.

A rule I always follow after mounting a light is to turn it to full bore
at night and then watch my lit bike from the prosition of a pedestrian,
then a dog or other animal (by squatting down) and from inside a car. I
want them not to be blinding and mine aren't.

I applaud your tests of your lights. In my experience, almost no
cyclists do that.

I've posted this before, but one night on a residential street riding
home from a friend's house I was blinded by an oncoming cyclist's
mega-light. I yelled "That thing is blinding!" He replied "Heh! Yeah, I
know!!"

Idiot.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 5th 18, 03:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-10-01 15:14, wrote:
[...]

Easy to try. While distracted with some chore in your home, have someone
walk towards you pointing a bright but not blinding LED flashlight. It
works. A human eye is not insensitive in the directions where one does
not look, just less sensitive. The "muffling effect" needs to be
overcome and intense light is just about the only method to achieve that.

Other clue: You are driving a car, looking ahead into traffic as you are
supposed to do. The dashboard becomes largely unnoticed except for the
occasional glance at the speedometer. However, when the yellow check
engine light, the red oil pressure light, the overtemp light or the low
fuel light comes on it is immediately noticed. Same if someone behind
you flashes their headlights even while you aren't looking into the rear
view mirror.

Yet another one: Think about the reason why approaching emergency
vehicles have very bright flashing lights.

Old October 5th 18, 03:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-10-04 12:18, jbeattie wrote:

It takes very little light to be conspicuous at night, and it takes
no additional light to be conspicuous during the day -- assuming
broad daylight without cloud cover or other low-light condition.

My experience is clearly different.

Your experiences are almost always unique, not just different.

Yet strangely, it jibes with that of our government folks. Why do you
think they mandate DRL on motorcycles?

A rule I always follow after mounting a light is to turn it to full
bore at night and then watch my lit bike from the prosition of a
pedestrian, then a dog or other animal (by squatting down) and from
inside a car. I want them not to be blinding and mine aren't.

I applaud your tests of your lights. In my experience, almost no
cyclists do that.

Sadly, most don't. Goes for car drivers as well. In some countries cars
have to undergo a roadworthiness check every so often where misaligned
headlights are flagged. In the US generally not and that shows.

I've posted this before, but one night on a residential street riding
home from a friend's house I was blinded by an oncoming cyclist's
mega-light. I yelled "That thing is blinding!" He replied "Heh! Yeah, I
know!!"

Idiot.

Yes, there are idiots on the roads and bike paths.