Training for monthly centuries

Old November 21st 04, 06:20 PM
Harry

Default Training for monthly centuries

Our local bike club has scheduled a series of 16 centuries (100-145
miles) during 2005. There is one about every month with 4 months
having 2 per month. My wife and I are thinking about the feasibility
of attempting this series. The first ride is scheduled in mid January.

We are in our early 50s (yes, I've read the thread about one's age -
which is a factor!) and have been riding our tandem since the fall of
2003. We have logged about 2500 miles during this year, with our
longest ride being about 70 miles. Our schedule is such that we
usually have only 3 days per week available for riding, with 2 of
those days being a Saturday and Sunday. I have the following
questions:

1) Is it possible to successfully ride centuries monthly with only 3
days per week of training?

2) If the answer to question #1 is yes, are there any published
schedules for this type of training? I have found many 6 day and a few
5 day schedules, but non with 4 or 3 day rides per week.

3) If there aren't any schedules for 3 day training, does anyone have
suggested guidelines?

TIA,
HarryB
Old November 21st 04, 06:44 PM
Badger

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 12:20:15 -0600, Harry wrote:

[...]

I use the rule of 'three', which is to say you can usually ride (or jog)
three times your daily mileage. Thus to ride a century, you should be
riding at least ~33 miles per day for the previous month. Note this is just
a rule I intend to use.

Likewise, to 'race' a distance your daily mileage should be three times the
race distance. IOW to race 10 miles, ride daily at tempo, at least 30 miles
in the previous month. (I'm talking amateur club races, here).

In your case, how did you feel after the 70 miler? Was it easy, hard, or
just barely limping in to finish. If the latter, I'd say you're not ready.

2500 miles in a year while commendable, is only about 200 miles per month,
or 50 miles a week. Though you may be able to finish a flat century, you
may be hurting. My feeling is why set yourself up for failure, and in fact,
possible injury by trying to up it that much. Why not ride out 30 miles,
then turn around. After a few of those you might be able to get the whole
century.

Why not get a normal road bike and up your mileage individually. Even
though you can't get out more than 3 days a week together, you might be
able to squeeze in an hour here and there the other four days,
occasionally. If the driver can get in about 100 miles per week for four to
six weeks prior to the ride, it might be doable.

FWIW

-B

Old November 21st 04, 07:11 PM
Alan

This is possible but it takes some planning. One of the better books that
I have read is Fred Matheny's book which you can order at :
http://roadbikerider.com/bookstore.h...ike%20Training

He has several schedules that you can adapt for your usage. You'll be
riding many more miles than 2500 to do this as you'll discover that you'll
probably double your annual mileage to do this series. I'd focus as much on
eating and hydration as I would training. My recommendation is to drink
Accelerade during the ride along with an energy bar per hour and Endurox
after the ride. Camelbaks are also very helpful when riding long distance
particularly when it is hot. As long as you have the endurance fueling is
absolutely critical.

Good luck

Old November 21st 04, 07:50 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

wrote in message :

Our local bike club has scheduled a series of 16 centuries (100-145
miles) during 2005. There is one about every month with 4 months
having 2 per month. My wife and I are thinking about the feasibility
of attempting this series. The first ride is scheduled in mid January.

How fast are you intending to go? A century ride is really not that
big a deal for a reasonably frequent rider; I've ridden centuries on
consecutive weekends with no training at all ever, other than riding
my bike. I do commute by bike - at the time I was doing 15 miles
round trip every day - but I don't believe that massive training
effort is required for century rides, unless they are competitive or
you're aiming to go fast.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old November 21st 04, 08:08 PM
Mike Kruger

Harry wrote:
Our local bike club has scheduled a series of 16 centuries

(100-145
miles) during 2005. There is one about every month with 4

months
having 2 per month. My wife and I are thinking about the

feasibility
of attempting this series. The first ride is scheduled in

mid January.

Why all 16?
In 2003, I set my goal to do a century a month. (I got to do
a metric century if it was below 40F).
I did 24 in all. My yearly mileage is usually 4000 (more
last year, less this year).

However, there were a couple of months where this was a
burden, and I only completed it because of the goal. In
July, I ended up riding 40 miles in the dark to complete the
century. So, I wouldn't advise you to have completing the
ENTIRE series as a goal.

We are in our early 50s (yes, I've read the thread about

one's age -
which is a factor!) and have been riding our tandem since

the fall of
2003. We have logged about 2500 miles during this year,

with our
longest ride being about 70 miles.

Then you can certainly do a century (100 miles). You'll be
tired the next day, though. Think about the last 10 miles of
the time you did 70, and figure that will extend out.

Our schedule is such that we
usually have only 3 days per week available for riding,

with 2 of
those days being a Saturday and Sunday. I have the

following
questions:

1) Is it possible to successfully ride centuries monthly

with only 3
days per week of training?

Yes. Do stuff the others days that will help keep your
fitness up. Try to have at least 5+ days of 30+ minutes of
aerobic exercise each week, of which the biking would be 3.

--
Mike Kruger
If you fall and break your leg, don't come running to me.

Old November 21st 04, 08:18 PM
Harry

wrote in message :

Our local bike club has scheduled a series of 16 centuries (100-145
miles) during 2005. There is one about every month with 4 months
having 2 per month. My wife and I are thinking about the feasibility
of attempting this series. The first ride is scheduled in mid January.

How fast are you intending to go? A century ride is really not that
big a deal for a reasonably frequent rider; I've ridden centuries on
consecutive weekends with no training at all ever, other than riding
my bike. I do commute by bike - at the time I was doing 15 miles
round trip every day - but I don't believe that massive training
effort is required for century rides, unless they are competitive or
you're aiming to go fast.

Guy

We average about 15-16 mph on our longer rides. We have no desire to
be competitive, and speed is of little concern to us (although I admit
to limiting downhill speeds to under 40mph.) Our primary riding goal
is to spend time together on the tandem, but have noticed that if we
don't have a specific goal, our rides (typically about 25 -35 miles)
tend to become more of the meandering sort. While this doesn't bother
us, we have found that if we do want to do longer rides (60 - 70
miles) that we aren't up to it.

Cheers,
HarryB
Old November 21st 04, 08:20 PM
Badger

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 14:08:25 -0600, "Mike Kruger"
wrote:

In 2003, I set my goal to do a century a month. (I got to do
a metric century if it was below 40F).
I did 24 in all. My yearly mileage is usually 4000 (more
last year, less this year).

That's pretty cool. What would you say the average speed you rode at this
level of training, which is under 100 miles per week? Hilly or flat?

Did you have any trouble getting back on the bike after those centuries?
This is the thing I want to prevent by doing a bit more prep.

However, there were a couple of months where this was a
burden, and I only completed it because of the goal.

If you don't mind saying what to you mean by 'burden'. Scheduling conflict?
Physical difficulty? Why?

In July, I ended up riding 40 miles in the dark to complete the century.

Care to elaborate? Sounds interesting, Mike.

So, I wouldn't advise you to have completing the
ENTIRE series as a goal.

We are in our early 50s (yes, I've read the thread about one's age -
which is a factor!) and have been riding our tandem since the fall of
2003. We have logged about 2500 miles during this year, with our
longest ride being about 70 miles.

Then you can certainly do a century (100 miles). You'll be
tired the next day, though. Think about the last 10 miles of
the time you did 70, and figure that will extend out.

Isn't tandem riding easier than solo? Just wondering.

Best,
-B

Old November 21st 04, 08:53 PM
Badger

wrote in message :

[...]

That's not a bad speed, depending on the terrain, even for the flats. I
only ask about the speed b/c that can give a rough approximation of the amt
of training or experience and a way to say the following:

Next time you go out, check your speedometer and at various speeds ask
yourself, 'could I maintain this speed for x hours', where that time is a
function of that which you could complete a century. For instance, riding
at 12-13 mph or 8 hours of riding for a century. At 15-16mph that only
requires ~7 hours of riding.

Obvious, I know, but it gives you a different way of looking at that
distance. (I often think of the times the pros ride for 100 miles, and then
you realize that those amateur riders, while going slowly are spending
often double the time in the saddle - hah! - who's tougher, ya gotta
wonder. ;-) )

Anyway, if you can't increase the number of times you ride, for training
purposes, you might try riding twice a day for the two months prior to your
'event'. That way you still get a cool off period, and rest, but you're
spacing the rides. It's also a way to increase the mileage 50% or more. Of
course ramp up the 'two a days' for those three days a week slowly. Start
doing and 'am' and 'pm' ride on Saturdays, then add another of the three
potential ride days. Near the end of the two months, say, week 7, start
cutting down on the # of hours between each ride. That will tend to
increase the total amt of time in the saddle from which you can recover,
getting you closer to 'ride day' conditions (i.e. a lot of hours in the
saddle).

If by the beginning of week 7 or 8 you can ride your two 30 mile rides with
only 2-3 hours rest, then you're repeating 60 mile rides in two days, and
so on.

Again, just some 'out of the box' thinking on training. You might be
totally against two-a-days for some reason...but I'm suggesting it might
help for the final ramp up particularly if you're limited to the number of
days you can ride.

-B

Old November 21st 04, 10:09 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

wrote in message :

Our primary riding goal
is to spend time together on the tandem, but have noticed that if we
don't have a specific goal, our rides (typically about 25 -35 miles)
tend to become more of the meandering sort. While this doesn't bother
us, we have found that if we do want to do longer rides (60 - 70
miles) that we aren't up to it.

In which case I respectfully suggest that instead of trying for
centuries, which are really not much more than a ****ing contest for
most cyclists, you join a club which takes leisurely rides around the
countryside, stopping at nice cafes and the occasional scenic spot,
and do what you clearly do best: enjoy spending time in each other's
company. I guarantee to envy you: leisure rides are a thing of
distant memory with two sons' social lives to organise!

Old November 21st 04, 11:16 PM
Harry

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 13:44:07 -0500, Badger wrote:

[...]

I understand you to mean that if we ride 33 miles, 3 times a week,
that a century should be within our grasp. I've never heard of this
before, but thinking back to our riding over the past year it rings
true. Our "standard" ride is 23 miles long, and we have not had any
problems doing a 45 or 50 mile ride on the spur of the moment.

Likewise, to 'race' a distance your daily mileage should be three times the
race distance. IOW to race 10 miles, ride daily at tempo, at least 30 miles
in the previous month. (I'm talking amateur club races, here).

In your case, how did you feel after the 70 miler? Was it easy, hard, or
just barely limping in to finish. If the latter, I'd say you're not ready.

We recently did a 70 mile ride one day and 50 the following, all on
flat roads. We were tired and sore! But, we hadn't had much saddle
time the two weeks before that. OTOH, a couple of months ago we did
two 63 mile hilly rides a week apart and had no problems at all. We
had been riding three or four times a week prior to that.

2500 miles in a year while commendable, is only about 200 miles per month,
or 50 miles a week. Though you may be able to finish a flat century, you
may be hurting. My feeling is why set yourself up for failure, and in fact,
possible injury by trying to up it that much. Why not ride out 30 miles,
then turn around. After a few of those you might be able to get the whole
century.

Why not get a normal road bike and up your mileage individually. Even
though you can't get out more than 3 days a week together, you might be
able to squeeze in an hour here and there the other four days,
occasionally. If the driver can get in about 100 miles per week for four to
six weeks prior to the ride, it might be doable.

Yes, we had considered that. However, for us right now, bike riding is
all about being on the tandem - together. The tandem was a 30th
wedding anniversary present to each other, and any goals we strive for
on the bike we wish to use the time together to achieve those goals.
(This may not be logical, but love is a rather mysterious thing, isn't
it?) However, a "normal" road bike (the tandem seems normal to us...)
might be in the future.

FWIW

-B

Thanks for the suggestions.