E2E/ Scotland / John O'Groats

Old November 19th 04, 09:03 PM
Tumbleweed

Default E2E/ Scotland / John O'Groats

Having a look at E2E routes many of them dont go from JOG to Wick(or vice
versa), via the A99 but instead go the longer way round,going West to
Thurso and then South (or go to JOG via Thurso from the S) but eventually
joining up with the route from the A99.Is there any reason for this? Is the
A99 particularly unpleasant for cycling?

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old November 20th 04, 12:06 AM
druidh

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message
Having a look at E2E routes many of them dont go from JOG to Wick(or vice
versa), via the A99 but instead go the longer way round,going West to
Thurso and then South (or go to JOG via Thurso from the S) but eventually
joining up with the route from the A99.Is there any reason for this? Is
the A99 particularly unpleasant for cycling?

A chance to visit Dunnet Head perhaps? After all if you're in the area, you
might as well go to the true Northernmost point of the UK mainland.

druidh

Old November 20th 04, 07:58 AM
Mark Burch

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message
Having a look at E2E routes many of them dont go from JOG to Wick(or vice
versa), via the A99 but instead go the longer way round,going West to
Thurso and then South (or go to JOG via Thurso from the S) but eventually
joining up with the route from the A99.Is there any reason for this? Is

the
A99 particularly unpleasant for cycling?

I've done it from N to S. The first time I did it I went north through Lairg
and Altnaharra to Bettyhill and then east to JoG, taking in the most
northerly point, Dunnet Head. From Lairg to the coast is quite flat and a
beautiful ride. On subsequent occasions I took the coast road, the A9/A99.
This is also quite attractive and personally I like being within sight of
the sea. The A9 beside the Cromarty Firth is a busy road but it gets
gradually quieter as you go further north and after Wick it is very quiet.
If speed is important to you then stick to the A9/99. If you've never cycled
in the Highlands and like remote minor roads then try the A836/B873. If you
take this option you'll need to plan carefully for accommodation, food etc.
whereas on the coast road there are plenty of opportunities.

Mark Burch

Old November 20th 04, 08:25 AM
Graham Hill

The previous correspondents have failed to mention the significant lumps of
Muir Of Ord, Berriedale and around Dunbeath. For many riders, these are the
hardest climbs since Devon and Cornwall. In contrast the normal route is
"flat".