Oops. A little out of character!

Old May 12th 05, 10:06 PM
LSMike

"Jon Senior" jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOT_co_DOT_uk wrote in message

snip a beautiful rant

Jon

Excellent, Jon, that's had me chuckling away. I mean I'm sorry you lost
your temper, but since you did, what a beautiful way to go.

Old May 12th 05, 10:08 PM
Adrian Boliston

"Jon Senior" jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOT_co_DOT_uk wrote:

"There's a f*ck*ng cycle path over there! Why don't you f*ck*ng use
it?"

I've got very good at *pretending* I have simply not heard things like
this - it's just not worth rising to the bait!

Old May 12th 05, 10:22 PM
JLB

Jon Senior wrote:
[snip]

Ah well. Calmed down again now. I'll try and keep my temper under
control next time. I don't really fancy getting into a fight! :-)

That was one very provoking cager though.

Incidentally, this is at least the third reply to you that has been sent
before you made your post; is your PC clock adrift?

--
Joe * If I cannot be free I'll be cheap
Old May 12th 05, 10:31 PM
Jon Senior

Default Oops. A little out of character!

After at least six months (Probably longer) or restricting myself to
mutterings of "numpty" or similar when motorists do stupid things I
completely lost my rag today!

I was about to turn right to head up Arthur's Seat. Checked behind me
and saw a car which was holding back a good distance from me. I
signalled right, checked again and moved to the centre of the road.

Suddenly the engine roars, the car pulls up alongside (Very close) and
the driver winds down the window.

"There's a f*ck*ng cycle path over there! Why don't you f*ck*ng use it?"

I think it was the shock of a seemingly reasonable driver suddenly
laying into me but I lost it. I (not very politely) suggested that the
same could apply to his car and motorway a little further in the same
direction. I may have made allusions to his parentage. I certainly
compared him to female genitalia and I abandoned all pretentions of the
hill climb and followed him down the road while taking great pains to
explain the concept of rights of access (interspersed with a great many
colloquialisms which I'll not describe in detail here!).

He ground to a halt so I swung in front of him and turned to see what he
had to say.

"I'll get out and f*ck*ng kill you" says he as he starts to open his
door (to the protests of his wife in the passenger seat).
"Yeah? With your gut and your fifty years you think you can have me?"
(Not my best. I had at this point already worked out that I could be
well clear by the time he'd got past his door).

He shut his door and shut up, so I rode off, doubled back through the
car park and climbed the hill a little harder than intended (Although in
my fury I forgot to take note of the times, but given I had to slow down
for a coach I suspect it wasn't brilliant!

Old May 12th 05, 10:34 PM
John Hearns

On Thu, 12 May 2005 21:31:06 +0000, Jon Senior wrote:

After at least six months (Probably longer) or restricting myself to
mutterings of "numpty" or similar when motorists do stupid things I
completely lost my rag today!

A bit of mutual support from me,
as I made a similar posting about a month back.

I got lots of good advice from forum members at the time.

Just don't let eejits like this spoil your enjoyment.
Whoever he is, he is a sad case.

Not trying to judge you, but chasing him down the road wasn't wise.
I know you don't think that way at the time.
Old May 12th 05, 10:38 PM
Dave Kahn

Jon Senior wrote:
[...]

Paper tiger. Still, it's best not to lose it. Either ignore the **** or
simply say, "Because the road is both safer and more convenient. It's a
public highway and I have the right to use it," and carry on.

--
Dave...

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the
future of the human race. - H. G. Wells
Old May 12th 05, 10:51 PM
Tom Orr

Jon Senior wrote:
snipped

He shut his door and shut up, so I rode off, doubled back through the
car park and climbed the hill a little harder than intended (Although
in my fury I forgot to take note of the times, but given I had to
slow down for a coach I suspect it wasn't brilliant!

Ah well. Calmed down again now. I'll try and keep my temper under
control next time. I don't really fancy getting into a fight! :-)

Jon

Sorry to hear about that. At least you have somewhere to let off steam about
it. Mind you if the driver had not had his wife there maybe he would have
decided the time for talking was over and there's no telling what kind of
weapon he could have had hidden in his vehicle. That is kind of what stops
me from swearing at drivers any more.

As to the climb, were you trying the challenge? I got an e-mail from someone
about that tonight claiming a time of 1 minute 17 seconds, a power output of
1490 watts. I have put it on the site but I really think with a power output
like that he would give Petacchi a run for his money. What do you think?

Tom.

Old May 13th 05, 01:11 AM
Jon Senior

Tom Orr wrote:
Sorry to hear about that. At least you have somewhere to let off steam about
it. Mind you if the driver had not had his wife there maybe he would have
decided the time for talking was over and there's no telling what kind of
weapon he could have had hidden in his vehicle. That is kind of what stops
me from swearing at drivers any more.

I stopped doing it when I realised that while I would burn off the
adrenaline during the next few minutes, they'd still be seething at
their destination and could expect a slightly shorter life in return.
I'm really not sure why I snapped this time, I've had far worse
treatment from others!

As to the climb, were you trying the challenge? I got an e-mail from someone
about that tonight claiming a time of 1 minute 17 seconds, a power output of
1490 watts. I have put it on the site but I really think with a power output
like that he would give Petacchi a run for his money. What do you think?

I keep doing the climb on the way home from work, but I seem to be stuck
at around 3:30. Despite the initial advantage I suspect that the rolling
start doesn't help as it means you are already tired when you start the
climb. I wish I'd had the means to record the time on the 8Freight
though :-)

1:17 would be very impressive. I'll have to measure the distance next
time I do it and we can work out how fast he would have been!

Jon
Old May 13th 05, 01:35 AM
Jon Senior

John Hearns wrote:
A bit of mutual support from me,
as I made a similar posting about a month back.

I remember it. It's quite scary to actually lose control like that.

I got lots of good advice from forum members at the time.

Just don't let eejits like this spoil your enjoyment.
Whoever he is, he is a sad case.

I wont forget him, but he no longer bothers me.

Not trying to judge you, but chasing him down the road wasn't wise.
I know you don't think that way at the time.

A fact I am well aware of. A lot of the humour is due to the number of
ways that it could have all gone horribly wrong.

I will hopefully be down south (Cambridgeshire nr Huntingdon) this
weekend with bike (And more sunny disposition). So if anyone is in the
area and fancies meeting up (Chris F... have you moved yet?), drop me a
line.

Jon
Old May 13th 05, 01:38 AM
Jon Senior

JLB wrote:
Incidentally, this is at least the third reply to you that has been sent
before you made your post; is your PC clock adrift?

It displays the correct time, and I'm sure I'd got the timezone sorted
but it does still seem to be having issues. I'll take another look sometime.

Jon