Non Motor Vehicle Accidents for Bicyclists (Survey for PeopleResiding in USA)

Old February 8th 04, 02:44 AM
Eric S. Sande

Default The word "Accident" vs collision ( taking responsibility)

Right, but who's going to judge that?

It can't be prejudged. Unless we have EMTs on the scene for each
incident, which is unrealistic. It costs money to transport people
to the ER for skinned knees.

But if they are there they have to transport, I think.

So we need a better standard?

No. I know you wouldn't report to the ER unless you needed to, I
trust your judgement.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------
Old February 9th 04, 05:58 PM
Zippy the Pinhead

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 13:24:04 -0500, "frkrygow"
wrote:
If it requires professional care, it's a serious incident.

Requires, Frank.

Right, but who's going to judge that?

I'm closely related to an ER physician. According to what he tells me,
they don't turn anyone away, even if the injury is laughably minor.

Ask the ER physician about whether a "trauma severity score" is
assigned to ER admissions for trauma. Or, if not, in his opinion it
would be possible to assign a score based upon such things as the
level of care required:
Washing the wound and applying a dressing
-- go forth and sin no more vs. recheck with your family doc in n
days?
Stitches and/or an X-Ray and/or a cast?
Overnight admission for observation for head injury?
Surgery or traction?
ICU admission and life support?
Old February 9th 04, 06:50 PM
Curtis L. Russell

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 11:58:07 -0600, Zippy the Pinhead
wrote:

Ask the ER physician about whether a "trauma severity score" is
assigned to ER admissions for trauma. Or, if not, in his opinion it
would be possible to assign a score based upon such things as the
level of care required:
Washing the wound and applying a dressing
-- go forth and sin no more vs. recheck with your family doc in n
days?
Stitches and/or an X-Ray and/or a cast?
Overnight admission for observation for head injury?
Surgery or traction?
ICU admission and life support?

And we could ask how they bill the treatment, but it wouldn't have any
more relevancy to the discussion. Finding an easy, or at least
manageable, way to decide the level of accident versus incident or
whatever the final categories are, and asking how ER people rate
incidents internally have no relevance. It doesn't even show up on
collected accident statisitcs.

Going to ER is drastically different in different parts of the same
county or region in Maryland. Sit around a regional ER collector, such
as the one near Bowie, MD is completely diffferent from one in the
inner city. A collector has a predominence of serious injury,
especially auto accidents: in the inner city, it is a substitute for
having insurance (a major issue with inner city hospital/clinic
systems is getting uninsured or programmed insured to use clinics
rather than the more expensive ER facilities). So it is not a good
razor to grade accidents or incidents, except within a narrow range
and area.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old February 9th 04, 11:21 PM
Zippy the Pinhead

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 13:50:45 -0500, Curtis L. Russell
wrote:

So it is not a good
razor to grade accidents or incidents, except within a narrow range
and area.

Agreed. I suppose some kind of sampling could be used, but it would
have to be rigorously constructed in order to be generalized into any
kind of useful conclusions.