Work demands causing Australians to text and drive

Old October 19th 04, 05:28 AM
SteveA

Default Work demands causing Australians to text and drive

Tamyka Bell Wrote:
Lotte wrote

Don't get me started on mobile phones. Some people feel really quit
insecure about it

Just the other night, at a presentation evening for engineerin
students, where my partner was presenting his thesis to around 100
150 people, someone's mobile phone started ringing. The owner didn'
get embarrassed and turn it off - no... she stoopd up and walked ou
and came back later. It happened again later on in the evening a
well. I could quite literally have shot her and I should have

If I'm out to dinner and someone starts talking on their mobile
usually look at them as if "Oh my god... what is that person doing

an
I don't stop until at least 30 seconds after their conversation

-
Lott

Some people have very good reasons for mobile phones. For example, i
they answer "6 RAR duty officer" or "Dr Jones" i.e. they are on call
Shame most people just want to be popular

Now I know how I will answer my phone if it rings while I am in th
theatre. "Hello Dr XXX speaking" Popular AND important. And I wil
need to be very loud so everyone can hear. Just kidding - I turn min
off or to silent in theatres, restaurants etc (and I am required by th
job to carry it and be available all day every day. But that is wha
voice mail is for - so you can hear about the latest crisis onc
everyone has calmed down and realised it is not a crisis after all

Steve

--
SteveA

Old October 19th 04, 07:25 AM

"byron" == byron byron27 writes:

byron Lotte Wrote:

If I'm out to dinner and someone starts talking on their mobile I
usually look at them as if "Oh my god... what is that person
doing" and I don't stop until at least 30 seconds after their
conversation.

byron i agree with you about phones in the lecture theatre or any
byron theatre for that matter, though if someone is outfor dinner
byron and is talking on their phone how is that any different from
byron them talking to someone at their table as well?.

I would have thought that would be obvious. Apparently not.

The other parties at the table are excluded from whatever tete a tete
the person on the phone call is having. Unless they're on speaker phone
of course.

byron Its still a conversation in any case.

Which only one person present at the table is getting both sides of.
Not very pleasant.

byron I used to hate mobiles but they do have benefits and really
byron it isnt mobiles that are the problem, just the people who are
byron using them.

On this we agree. Personally I've got two mobiles, one for work and one
for social. I'm fortunate in that my position doesn't require 24/7
(although it's heading that way) so the work one gets switched off at
COB. My social one is for my benefit, not others. I don't want to be
contactable 24/7, I've no problem leaving it off all weekend if I don't
want to be bothered.
--
Regards
Euan

Old October 19th 04, 07:28 AM

"ritcho" == ritcho writes:

ritcho The rule of thumb for proper etiquette regarding restaurants
ritcho and phones is that if the table has a tablecloth, then
ritcho switch the phone off. Using your phone at the cafe is fine.

My rule of thumb is this. Am I having dinner with this group of people
because I want to have some quality, uninterrupted time with them? If
the answer's yes, the phone gets switched off. Could be Hungry Jacks
for all I care, not that you'd see me in a Hungry Jacks but you get the
idea.
--
Cheers
Euan
Old October 19th 04, 11:49 AM
DRS

"Lotte" wrote in message

Don't get me started on mobile phones. Some people feel really quite
insecure about it.

Heh. I'm trying to think of the very very very late night (actually early
early morning) British show that's on sometimes, it's not quite a Candid
Camera, but this Pommy bloke gets up to hijinks in all manner of disguises.
Anyway, I love the opening, he's walking down the street with a monster
mobile phone on his shoulder that has to be about five feet long and
proportioned appropriately, it's the biggest mf "mobile" you'll ever see,
and he's shouting at the top of voice the most inane rubbish as he walks
along...

"YES!...YES, I'M ON THE HIGH STREET!... I THOUGHT I'D GET SOMETHING TO
EAT!... I'M TURNING LEFT NOW!... I'M JUST GOING INTO THE SHOP!..."

etc, and the looks on the faces of the passers-by have to be seen to be
believed. It's the most brilliant ****-take of the "look at me, I'm on the
mobile" attitude you'd think was long gone but apparently isn't.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old October 19th 04, 12:05 PM

"DRS" == drs writes:

DRS Heh. I'm trying to think of the very very very late night
DRS (actually early early morning) British show that's on
DRS sometimes, it's not quite a Candid Camera, but this Pommy bloke
DRS gets up to hijinks in all manner of disguises.

The Fast Show? I'm not much of a TV watcher.
--
Cheers
Euan
Old October 20th 04, 07:50 AM
Graeme

"DRS" wrote in
:

Heh. I'm trying to think of the very very very late night (actually
early early morning) British show that's on sometimes, it's not quite
a Candid Camera, but this Pommy bloke gets up to hijinks in all manner
of disguises.

"Trigger Happy TV" Dom Jolley is the guy with the phone. I can't say that I
find it funny, but that's probably because I've heard too many people who
use a mobile in a not dissimilar way. I tend to feel the urge to throw
something at the TV when he comes on.

Graeme
Old October 21st 04, 11:19 AM
Parbs

"SteveA" wrote in message ...

Now I know how I will answer my phone if it rings while I am in the
theatre. "Hello Dr XXX speaking" Popular AND important. And I will
need to be very loud so everyone can hear. Just kidding - I turn mine
off or to silent in theatres, restaurants etc (and I am required by the
job to carry it and be available all day every day. But that is what
voice mail is for - so you can hear about the latest crisis once
everyone has calmed down and realised it is not a crisis after all)

SteveA

--

Was our riding with a Dr friend who was on call - the first half of the ride was great, then he made the mistake of commenting how
unusual it was not to have had any calls. Of course the phone immediately rang, and then several more times on the way back home.

Parbs

Old October 21st 04, 04:07 PM
SteveA

Was our riding with a Dr friend who was on call - the first half of th
ride was great, then he made the mistake of commenting ho
unusual it was not to have had any calls. Of course the phon
immediately rang, and then several more times on the way back home

Parbs
I'm not a doc but I work in the medical system. Being a doctor on cal
must be one of the biggest pains in the bum ever. Can't go too far fro
the hospital, can't have a glass of red with a meal, can't do anythin
much that would slow down the time it took to get back to the patient i
the hospital.

A doctor here was appearing in the Coroner's Court as a patient had no
survived what was expected to be a simple diagnostic procedure. He wa
the senior doc and in charge of supervising some more junior docs wh
worked on the patient. He was not on call, but he was expected to b
available for any problems. The Court delved very deeply into hi
whereabouts at the critical time. The daily newspaper here used th
evidence from the Court to really get stuck into him. He got blaste
because he was eating in an expensive restaurant, he ate an expensiv
meal and he shared a couple of reasonably expensive bottles of wine wit
his dinner companion. A bit tough really. Fair enough to criticise hi
if there was evidence of mediacl negligence, but on the basis of hi
choice of food and wine

I'm permanently on call but luckily I don't get near sharp instruments s
I don't have the restrictions that the docs have

My comment about answering the phone "Hello, Dr XXXX here" was similar t
those idiots that yell "sell, sell, sell" or similar important things int
their phones

Steve

--
SteveA

Old October 21st 04, 10:31 PM
Tamyka Bell

SteveA wrote:
snip
My comment about answering the phone "Hello, Dr XXXX here" was similar to
those idiots that yell "sell, sell, sell" or similar important things into
their phones

The coolest way to ensure short mobile phone calls: I saw a guy flip out
his phone and say "speak". At which the person on the other end said
what they needed to and got the hell out of there.