cyclist's palsy

Old October 24th 04, 09:30 AM
ProfTournesol

Default cyclist's palsy

One week ago, after cycling 600kms in 6 days, the small muscles in m
left hand stopped working. Like all good cyclists I ignored it. Well
after one week I've had no recovery of function of my small han
muscles. this means that I have an Ulnar nerve palsy - my ulnar nerv
(that supplies the nerve impulses to the small muscles in your hand)
Two to three months off the bike I'm told:-(

Some Googling produced this rather scary article on the high incidenc
of this problem in cyclists.
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl..._106388156/pg_

--
ProfTournesol

Old October 24th 04, 10:48 AM
hippy

"ProfTournesol"
One week ago, after cycling 600kms in 6 days, the small muscles in my
left hand stopped working. Like all good cyclists I ignored it. Well,
after one week I've had no recovery of function of my small hand
muscles. this means that I have an Ulnar nerve palsy - my ulnar nerve
(that supplies the nerve impulses to the small muscles in your hand).
Two to three months off the bike I'm told:-(

Some Googling produced this rather scary article on the high incidence
of this problem in cyclists.
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...106388156/pg_1

"Factors cited as contributing to cyclist's palsy include the
wearing of ill-fitting or worn-out gloves, the use of worn-out
handlebar padding, not changing hand position often enough,
and having body weight improperly distributed on the
handlebars because of a malpositioned seat."

Uh oh.. I just read that and mentally ticked off all but
one item (I think I move my hands quite a bit).

I don't think I meet the distance quota though.. (yay
for sprinting!)

hippy