Cycling splintered on Usenet

Old December 16th 03, 11:56 AM

Default Cycling splintered on Usenet

Paul Southworth wrote:

: In my opinion the worst problem with rec.bicycles.* is the fact
: that rec.bicycles.off-road is completely ruined. It would be best
: to just delete it. (FYI I am one of the moderators.) If we could
: unmoderate it I would support doing that.

Would it make sense to recreate it? rec.bicycles.mtb or something.

: suggest a vote on deleting rec.bicycles.off-road. Anyone posting
: to rec.bicycles.off-road would be better off posting to
: alt.mountain-bike.

IMO gets a bit confusing already... the alt.* groups are not even
under a single hierarchy... For example I wasn't aware that
alt.mountain-bike even exists, since we have
rec.bicycles.off-road. I was simply assuming that off-road
cyclists aren't too active on the Usenet.

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/

Old December 16th 03, 11:58 AM

Paul Southworth wrote:
: In my opinion the worst problem with rec.bicycles.* is the fact
: that rec.bicycles.off-road is completely ruined. It would be best
: to just delete it. (FYI I am one of the moderators.) If we could
: unmoderate it I would support doing that. But we are left with a
: situation where some news servers think it's moderated, others
: don't, and we can't influence their choice one way or the other.

Have to ask... :-) How did it end up like that? I'm not familiar
with all the history, was it recently moderated because of Mr V?

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/

Old December 16th 03, 12:52 PM
Tom Sherman

Hunrobe wrote:

Why so touchy? I didn't say they weren't bicycles. I said they belong in an
"alt." category. Do you agree with that or are you going to claim that you
*don't* get a kick out of riding an out-of-the-ordinary machine?

I have been considering getting an upright road bike for times when I do
not want to attract attention - something that is decidedly impossible
on a recumbent lowracer or trike.

BTW, operating under your rather sketchy definition scooters are also bicycles.
Will you defend scooter riders if they invade your 'bent group? ;-)

There have been several discussions of adult push scooters on
alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent, and no one objected seriously.

Tom Sherman - 41 N, 90 W
Old December 16th 03, 04:58 PM
Kerry

wrote in message
Seems not all cycling topics have been collected under
rec.bicycles.*. For example, there is:

alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
rec.sport.unicycling
fitness groups where cycling - at least indoor cycling - comes up
time to time

Anybody think this is an issue?

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/

Based on the recent posts here, I can see a need for rec.bicycles.lighting.

Man these lighting folks are serious. You could combine them and the helmet
war folks together in one newsgroup and see who comes out on top.

Interestingly, I have yet to see someone post about a hub-powered headlamp
for individuals without a helmet!

Any comments?

Kerry

Old December 16th 03, 06:57 PM
Rick Onanian

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 02:48:48 GMT, "Sorni"
wrote:
Anybody think this is an issue?

Only people riding on wooden saddles.

That's better than people riding wooden seatposts with no saddle.

Tangent: Googled for "stick up his ass", hoping to find a hint for
those who might not get my joke. Found this:
:Batman is an avenger of the night, a dark and brooding figure,
:and even at his worst a campy fat man with a stick up his ass.

Bill "splinter humor attempt" S.

--
Rick "Al Gore humor attempt?" Onanian
Old December 16th 03, 10:18 PM
Rick Onanian

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 16:58:19 GMT, "Kerry" k n i k o l a i s e n@s b
c g lo b a l.net wrote:
Interestingly, I have yet to see someone post about a hub-powered headlamp
for individuals without a helmet!

Any comments?

Yes. You should NEVER ride a helmet-powered hublamp without a head
on your head. I did once, and I died as a result.

Kerry

--
Rick Onanian
Old December 17th 03, 05:39 PM
Hunrobe

wrote in part:

Hunrobe wrote:

: 1- recumbents are interesting machines but they truly do belong in an
"alt."
: category,

I see the alt.* category more as a technical or Usenet-related
political decision, not primarily an indicator of the subject
matter being alternative.

---snip---

I view the alt. category as being loosely related to but an alternative (hence
the "alt." designation) to their mainstream counterparts, rather like a "niche
market". In that respect, 'bents are definitely alt. material.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

cycling and yoga Mike Kruger General 9 March 22nd 05 03:51 PM
Cycling is dangerous Garry Jones General 375 November 21st 03 05:52 PM
Cycling Skills Course Roger Zoul General 15 October 16th 03 03:16 AM
New for me - cycling B Parker General 4 October 14th 03 03:03 AM
Cycling Holiday Tours - Any Recommendations? Elisa Francesca Roselli General 9 October 11th 03 03:53 PM