Sidewalk bicycling?

Old September 15th 07, 10:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
smn

Default Sidewalk bicycling?

I really think this is what you are looking for.

"Effective cycling". John Forrester. He is the pioneer of this thing.
Don't want anyone here to beat you over the head with it though. : )

http://www.johnforester.com/

http://www.ihpva.org/pipermail/hpv/2000-May/005176.html Comments

Old September 15th 07, 10:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
smn

wrote in message
ups.com...
wrote:
Overall, the safety record of sidewalk cycling is dismal. This has
been studied a few times by different researchers. IIRC, they've
found riding on sidewalks to be anywhere from about 2.5 to 13 times as
dangerous as riding on roads.

Here are a few problems I have with these studies:

1) There are a lot more sidewalk cyclist than road cyclists so
naturally
accidents will be higher for them

2) Sidewalk cyclists are mostly kids while road cyclists are far more
mature and aware of their surroundings

3) Nearly all sidewalk accidents you can walk up from, but a road
accident has much more serious consequences. So I would take 13 wipe
outs on the sidewalk to being hit just once on the road !

What are some good websites that explain how to commute safely on the
road, perhaps I am doing something wrong that makes me perceive it as
unsafe in CERTAIN situations?

Old September 15th 07, 10:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
smn

wrote in message
ups.com...
wrote:
[...]

This article is real helpful for a beginner also. Covers beginning
maintenance, kinds of bikes, passing safely in traffic, and some such.
Jobst Brandt contributed pics.

http://www.mit.edu/~cforest/hobbies_...20Jan%2005.pdf

Old September 15th 07, 10:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
smn

You're able to come from a long way out, if you're traveling at faster
than ped speeds. It's even worse than it seems, what with stopping
distances increasing with an exponent greater than 1. Or some such. I'm
a bit bizarre at maths, so the key is that doubling one's speed more
than doubles the stopping distance. Which means you not only show up
when you're least expected, you have less chance (than a ped) of coming
up short.

As long as she knows she is the last person to cross the intersection or
driveway and sometimes miss the light all together. Being in an unsafe
place all the time makes you the soul person responsible for letting them
act like you are invisible. And since she does not care about the time
spent going from A-B as she already stated it would be fine. Most people
here would think that is too much compromising and I do not know how you can
keep up 15mph. That is my average street speed up and down hill and just
stopping for intersections. Your running time is probably closer to 1-10mph
like another poster suggested.
I would think you are also making drivers a little frustrated with
bikers.
They might signal for you to go first and then there is that delay of should
you take the opportunity or let him rightfully go first.

Just my two cents
thanks for listening

Old September 16th 07, 06:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SS

wrote in message
ups.com...
I don't understand why all cycling websites blast sidewalk cycling as
the 'most unsafe' way to cycle? I have started to commute 12 miles to
work and do a mix of roads, trails and some sidewalk. I don't see how
a long stretch of empty sidewalk parralel to a busy road would
considered 'unsafe'? As you long as you treat yourself as invisible
at each intersection, the sidewalk should be safer, no? I also like
sidewalk since I don't have to keep checking my mirrors to see if
cars are passing me correctly. It is more relaxing. Am I missing
something? I realize it is not as fast as road cycling, but if I
cared abuot time, I would be driving...

Americans don't walk anywhere anyway do they? All done by car, so pavements
will be empty mainly.

Old September 17th 07, 06:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Anthony DeLorenzo

On Sep 14, 9:29 am, wrote:

Makes sense in downtowns of big cities, but 99% of sidewalks hardly
have anyone walking/biking on them in the USA. ( Ok I just pulled
that number from the air, but I would not be surprised if it is
correct ).

So, since there are few users that makes it OK to break the law? Does
that mean it is OK for cars to break the law with regards to cyclists,
since there are far fewer bikes vs. cars on many roads?

I think that if cyclists knowingly act illegally and/or dangerously,
they have no grounds to complain when other vehicles -- eg. cars -- do
the same. You're holding other road users to a standard that you won't
uphold. The only way mixed-mode transportation systems can work is if
all users play by the rules.

Regards,
Anthony

Old September 17th 07, 06:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Sep 17, 11:30 am, Anthony DeLorenzo
wrote:
On Sep 14, 9:29 am, wrote:

Makes sense in downtowns of big cities, but 99% of sidewalks hardly
have anyone walking/biking on them in the USA. ( Ok I just pulled
that number from the air, but I would not be surprised if it is
correct ).

So, since there are few users that makes it OK to break the law? Does
that mean it is OK for cars to break the law with regards to cyclists,
since there are far fewer bikes vs. cars on many roads?

I think that if cyclists knowingly act illegally and/or dangerously,
they have no grounds to complain when other vehicles -- eg. cars -- do
the same. You're holding other road users to a standard that you won't
uphold. The only way mixed-mode transportation systems can work is if
all users play by the rules.

Regards,
Anthony

What if it's legal to ride the sidewalk, as in downtown Seattle or
Madison?

Old September 17th 07, 09:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Matt O'Toole

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 23:05:12 -0400, David L. Johnson wrote:

wrote:
rdclark wrote:
1) Driveways. Cars entering or leaving them aren't looking for fast
movers on the sidewalk. Sidewalk riding is dangerous because a bike is
so different from the expected traffic. The safest way to ride is to
always be predictable.

All you have to do is watch out for the cars backing out of the
driveway and you are fine. If a cyclist is not capable of this minimal
situal awareness, how are they safer on the road?

No, that's not it. You also have to worry about drivers driving into
driveways, without looking for you on the sidewalk. This is especially
stupid if there are trees or parked cars blocking the driver's view of
you -- but the plain fact is that he/she would not be looking for you on
the sidewalk, because you belong on the road.

2) Pedestrians. Sidewalks are for them. They have a right to assume
there won't be any vehicles using a sidewalk (unless it's actually a
multi-use path). And they often make sudden unpredictable moves.

I bought a little horn for my bike and so far it works great.

I could do that with a car, or a motorcycle, as well, both of which come
with horns. That does not make it safe, nor legal.

Makes sense in downtowns of big cities, but 99% of sidewalks hardly
have anyone walking/biking on them in the USA. ( Ok I just pulled that
number from the air, but I would not be surprised if it is correct ).

Just the occasional little kid, who will not expect you to come
barreling down the sidewalk. Don't you get it?

Bicyclists are not pedestrians. They're vehicles. The rules of the
road apply.

If we can share the road with cars, why can't we share sidewalks with
pedestrians? My point is it is fine to bike on the sidewalk as long as
you ride as if you are invisible. Do we agree there?

Nope.

It seems to work fine as long as you ride as if you're a rolling
pedestrian -- ie, slowly.

It works for millions of Japanese.

This summer I spent a couple of weeks in my hometown in southern CA, where
cycling is trendy again among teenagers and young adults. Most people
ride beach cruisers at low speeds on both sidewalks and streets, whatever
suits them at the moment. If traffic is light they ride in the street.
If not they ride on the sidewalk, in crosswalks, through parking lots and
plazas, on the street against traffic, etc. Almost no one wears a helmet,
or uses lights or reflectors at night. They use cell phones and iPods
while riding, and carry cups of coffee. Thousands of people do this, and
it seems to work fine.

Heresy, I know. But it's sure great to see so many people on bikes again,
especially kids!

Matt O.
Old September 18th 07, 12:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
David L. Johnson

Matt O'Toole wrote:

It seems to work fine as long as you ride as if you're a rolling
pedestrian -- ie, slowly.

So, if you want to walk, walk.

--

David L. Johnson

"What am I on? I'm on my bike, six hours a day, busting my ass.
What are you on?"
--Lance Armstrong