receiver hitch bike rack

Old April 21st 05, 04:05 PM
Dennis Cox

Default receiver hitch bike rack

Could anyone here give me an opinion on a good quality bike rack? I would
like a 2" receiver hitch bike rack to hold 4 bikes.

Thanks,
Dennis

Old April 21st 05, 04:19 PM
Carla A-G

"Dennis Cox" wrote in message
Could anyone here give me an opinion on a good quality bike rack? I would
like a 2" receiver hitch bike rack to hold 4 bikes.

We use a Thule (I can't remember the model # off the top of my head), but it
holds 4 bikes with no problems and very secure.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Old April 21st 05, 05:40 PM
JD

Sportworks. No wheel removal, fast and easy.

JD

Old April 21st 05, 06:44 PM
GWood

I use Yakima. The one I have is set up for two bikes, but they make one for
four bikes. It drops down after a pin release to allow entry to the back of
the vehicle.

I've taken a look at the bigger ones (i.e. for more bikes) but can't figure
out how you can get that many bikes one without having them clank/rub
together during transport. With the 2-bike Yakima, there is a lower bar
with straps that hook to the wheels to prevent the bikes from swinging into
each other.

I mention this because when I first got the rack and didn't have the lower
bar attachment, had a fork leg and chainstay that rubbed down to bare metal
when transporting old bikes to a trailhead. Mucho bummer.

Gary

Old April 21st 05, 10:10 PM
@davide.it

Could anyone here give me an opinion on a good quality bike rack? I would
like a 2" receiver hitch bike rack to hold 4 bikes.

Thanks,
Dennis

I reply here to ask this question, is it possible to mount a 2" receiver on
an auto wich do not have originally?

If yes, where do can I buy this on the net?

Old April 21st 05, 10:24 PM
Dennis Cox

depends on the vehicle, but definately can be done. If you're mechanically
inclined at all, you could check jc whitney online or quadratec or even
ebay. Most of them bolt on. If you'd rather have someone else do it, then
give your local uhaul place a call. They used to install them.

Old April 22nd 05, 11:45 AM
@davide.it

depends on the vehicle, but definately can be done. If you're
mechanically inclined at all, you could check jc whitney online or
quadratec or even ebay. Most of them bolt on. If you'd rather have
someone else do it, then give your local uhaul place a call. They used to
install them.

Thank a lot Dennis, my car is an Opel Astra GTC and the problem is that here
in Italy (where I am) only a few people know what a 2" receiver is it, so
I'll have to order somewhere and mount it myself if possible.

About your question I can say you I've read talking very good about Yakima!

if you wanted maximum braking, where would you sit? wle Techniques 133 November 18th 15 03:10 AM
Autofaq now on faster server Simon Brooke UK 216 April 1st 05 10:09 AM
Rack questions har Techniques 14 June 25th 04 09:18 PM
Who is going to Interbike? Bruce Gilbert Techniques 2 October 10th 03 09:26 PM
need an easy to use bike rack bike Mountain Biking 13 August 5th 03 07:59 AM