Chainring wear.

Old August 11th 04, 04:15 AM
Callistus Valerius

Default Chainring wear.

I notice when I'm only on the big ring, and I'm pushing a big gear, I feel
an occasional clicking in my feet thru the pedals. I don't think it's the
bottom bracket, it's not loose, and it only happens with the big ring.
Visual inspection shows some wear, but is it possible the chain would move
on the ring, and would cause that clicking feeling in the pedal.

Old August 11th 04, 05:09 AM
Leo Lichtman

"Callistus Valerius" wroteclick) is it possible the chain would move on
the ring, and would cause that clicking feeling in the pedal.
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Have you installed a new chain recently? Since you say you have visible
wear on the chainring, you would have a chain with shorter pitch than the
ring. This could possibly cause the chain to climb up on a tooth
occasionally, and then drop into place. (Just a guess.)

Old August 11th 04, 02:53 PM
B Paton

I have seen a similar problem in some Shimano splined road cranks, resulting
in a clicking feeling through the pedal. Try tightening the crank arms (are
you using self extractor bolts?), or greasing them and then re-tightening.
If that solves it, then use thread lock to keep it tight.Of course, worn
pedal bearings sometimes cause a similar problem, especially if the pedal
axle has taken a ding and is slightly bent.
Blake

hlink.net...

Old August 11th 04, 03:39 PM
Jacobe Hazzard

Callistus Valerius wrote:
I notice when I'm only on the big ring, and I'm pushing a big gear, I
feel an occasional clicking in my feet thru the pedals. I don't
think it's the bottom bracket, it's not loose, and it only happens
with the big ring. Visual inspection shows some wear, but is it
possible the chain would move on the ring, and would cause that
clicking feeling in the pedal.

Is the click always at the same pedal position?

It could be the cranks/chainwheel striking the front derailler, or
possibly chain rub, or maybe derailler misalignment that's causing the
chain to try and shift.

Old August 11th 04, 03:41 PM
Jacobe Hazzard

Jacobe Hazzard wrote:
Callistus Valerius wrote:
I notice when I'm only on the big ring, and I'm pushing a big gear, I
feel an occasional clicking in my feet thru the pedals. I don't
think it's the bottom bracket, it's not loose, and it only happens
with the big ring. Visual inspection shows some wear, but is it
possible the chain would move on the ring, and would cause that
clicking feeling in the pedal.

Is the click always at the same pedal position?

It could be the cranks/chainwheel striking the front derailler, or
possibly chain rub, or maybe derailler misalignment that's causing the
chain to try and shift.

Another thought: derailer misalignment could be caused/exacerbated by the
frame flexing, allowing cables to move.

Old August 11th 04, 08:09 PM

Callistus Valerius writes:

I notice when I'm only on the big ring, and I'm pushing a big gear,
I feel an occasional clicking in my feet thru the pedals. I don't
think it's the bottom bracket, it's not loose, and it only happens
with the big ring. Visual inspection shows some wear, but is it
possible the chain would move on the ring, and would cause that
clicking feeling in the pedal.

Chains don't make clicking feelings in pedals although a tight link,
typically one which has been reconnected by pressing in a pin, can
cause a dull click when rolling around the derailleur idlers (a rapid
back and front bending being required). Other than that, a chain
often skips with a sharp crack as it skips over a tooth under load.
This is caused by pitch wear at a rear sprocket and can best be fixed
by replacing the sprocket with a new one.

From your description, the effect is not from chain replacement. What
else did you do when you replaced the chain and are you sure this
never occurred before?

Jobst Brandt

Old August 12th 04, 01:44 PM
Trevor Jeffrey

Callistus Valerius wrote in message ...
I notice when I'm only on the big ring, and I'm pushing a big gear, I feel
an occasional clicking in my feet thru the pedals. I don't think it's the
bottom bracket, it's not loose, and it only happens with the big ring.
Visual inspection shows some wear, but is it possible the chain would move
on the ring, and would cause that clicking feeling in the pedal.

The clicking can originate from the freewheel, specially when using the
outermost sprocket. If there is obvious play in the freewheel bearings, try
swapping for one without.

Trevor

RoadBikeRider newsletter on tire wear Matt O'Toole Techniques 2 June 11th 04 12:08 AM
Chainring Orientation asqui Techniques 6 July 31st 03 07:52 AM
Bent chainring options? Joe Techniques 3 July 14th 03 10:42 PM