mapquest for bikes?

Old October 28th 04, 02:51 PM
David Damerell

Matt O'Toole wrote:
The problem is not paying the money, it's that useful information doesn't
exist. Whether a highway is classified as major or secondary has no
bearing on whether it's a good cycling road.

True, but gradients do, and _they_ can be deduced from existing data and
used by some cyclist-specific route planning tool.
--
David Damerell flcl?
Old October 28th 04, 06:15 PM
Lars Lehtonen

According to ant :
a while back there was some online map service (mapquest? yahoo?) that
had an option to spit out directions that avoided highways. i can't
find that option anywhere now, unless i've somehow glossed over it
repeatedly. does anyone know where it's hiding? i used to use the
mysterious site for my bike directions all the time, and now im
feeling lost.

Mapquest doesn't have this option anymore, but map24 does.

http://www.us.map24.com/

---
Lars Lehtonen
Old October 28th 04, 07:31 PM
g.daniels

matt O is on top of it.
and a cruncher for max downhill over a given rectanglular area a to b
no guesswrok: extra time to true the rims.
with the possibilty of no mistakes like with the online spoke calculators.

when joe and martha arrived at the cliff's base...
Old October 28th 04, 08:31 PM
David L. Johnson

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 17:15:53 +0000, Lars Lehtonen wrote:

According to ant :
a while back there was some online map service (mapquest? yahoo?) that
had an option to spit out directions that avoided highways. i can't find
that option anywhere now, unless i've somehow glossed over it repeatedly.
does anyone know where it's hiding? i used to use the mysterious site for
my bike directions all the time, and now im feeling lost.

Mapquest doesn't have this option anymore, but map24 does.

http://www.us.map24.com/

Hey, this is not bad at all!. I just tried a trip that I know well, and
asking it to avoid highways and to look for the shortest, rather than
fastest, route got me essentially the route I would take on my bike.

Thanks for the tip.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | And what if you track down these men and kill them, what if you
_`\(,_ | killed all of us? From every corner of Europe, hundreds,
(_)/ (_) | thousands would rise up to take our places. Even Nazis can't
kill that fast. -- Paul Henreid (Casablanca).

Old October 28th 04, 10:50 PM
ant

"Marty Wallace" wrote in message news

Get a sponsors logo on the website to cover costs and the world will be your
oyster.

if i knew the first thing about programming i would probably give it a
go. in this case, im afraid, im all talk. (what kind of costs do we
think it would be?)

anthony
Old October 29th 04, 02:33 PM
Bill Cotton

"Matt O'Toole" wrote in message
Portion clipped
but again, there are usually a lot of local bike maps in the
respective towns/cities - so this usually is not that big of a
problem. i would suggest you to google around for some local maps -
or post your location here and someone from your area will be able to
help you out.

There are federal grants available for such project. The second map for
Philadelphia PA was printed recently
contact www.bicyclecoalition.org for a copy. The state of Delaware plublish
bicycle maps for the entire state
www.deldot.net/bike I have a NY region 10, Long island bikeway map, New
York has signed bikeway route
and the state is divided into regions contact www.dot.state.ny.us or
888-BIKE-NYS.
Ken Roberts and Sharon Marsh Roberts has a web site
http://www.roberts-1.com/bikehudson/
That I am in the process of emulating for the Delaware Valley. I have
rearranged my home page to group
cue sheets and maps. I have Cue for two of Pennsylvania' 6 Signed bicycle
routes, BikePA "S" route and Part
of BikePA "L" route and Delaware Bike route One.
http://www.billcotton.com/#Bicycle%2...20cue%20sheets Links to
other cues on the web and most of the my ride .
I used DeLorme Topo maps to make mt cue sheets. I find that the choice to
aviod road and to draw in routable roads
give me route that I am happy with
This is really the only way to go, because it's based on feedback from

local
cyclists who use the roads in question.
Matt O

Very true. I alway check with local club when I can
..
www.billcotton.com
N40° 3.744' W75° 6.180'