A scary experience

Old August 9th 04, 02:52 PM
Hjalmar Duklęt

Default A scary experience

I've had som squeacking noice coming from the front of my bike for quite
some time but have not been able to figure out where it came from or what
caused it. Not until yesterday when I suddently discovered that the stem was
almost broken. It's got a crack almost around the entire stem along the
weld. The stem is a 1" CODA quill stem with an ovalized shape and a matte
black finish. Has anybody else experinced anything like this?
Hjalmar

Old August 9th 04, 02:59 PM
Marty

"Hjalmar Duklęt" wrote in message
I've had som squeacking noice coming from the front of my bike for quite
some time but have not been able to figure out where it came from or what
caused it. Not until yesterday when I suddently discovered that the stem

was
almost broken. It's got a crack almost around the entire stem along the
weld. The stem is a 1" CODA quill stem with an ovalized shape and a matte
black finish. Has anybody else experinced anything like this?
Hjalmar

No. But, I'm glad that it didn't fail on you while you were riding. Now
you get to think about all the "What if" scenarios. Scary indeed.
--
Marty

Old August 9th 04, 05:54 PM
serg

i had a similar experience...but with a seat post. there was a crack coming
down the post from where the bracket that holds the saddle got inserted into
the post. it expanded quite fast too! it was an old seat post but man! it
would've sucked to have to ride standing up on the pedals all the way home!
i'm glad u found it!

Old August 9th 04, 07:02 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

"Hjalmar Duklęt" wrote in message ...
I've had som squeacking noice coming from
the front of my bike for quite
some time but have not been able to figure out
where it came from or what
caused it. Not until yesterday when I suddently
discovered that the stem was
almost broken. It's got a crack almost around the
entire stem along the
weld. The stem is a 1" CODA quill stem with an
ovalized shape and a matte
black finish. Has anybody else experinced anything
like this?

Not with a stem but with handlebars and also with a frame. In the case
of the bars I heard a creating for a few days and pulled the bars from
the stem in order to lug them, and then noticed a crack.

In the case of the frame I heard a clunking for several weeks before I
found the problem.

JT
Old August 9th 04, 08:22 PM
Peter Cole

"Hjalmar Duklęt" wrote in message
I've had som squeacking noice coming from the front of my bike for quite
some time but have not been able to figure out where it came from or what
caused it. Not until yesterday when I suddently discovered that the stem was
almost broken. It's got a crack almost around the entire stem along the
weld. The stem is a 1" CODA quill stem with an ovalized shape and a matte
black finish. Has anybody else experinced anything like this?

Yeah, I had a Nitto quill stem fail that way last year. AT least with quill
stems the expander bolt holds things together (for a while anyway). Moral of
the story is that it pays to track down suspicious noises promptly (I didn't
notice any noise from mine, BTW).

Old August 9th 04, 11:07 PM
psycholist

"Hjalmar Duklęt" wrote in message
I've had som squeacking noice coming from the front of my bike for quite
some time but have not been able to figure out where it came from or what
caused it. Not until yesterday when I suddently discovered that the stem

was
almost broken. It's got a crack almost around the entire stem along the
weld. The stem is a 1" CODA quill stem with an ovalized shape and a matte
black finish. Has anybody else experinced anything like this?
Hjalmar

I had a Deda quill stem where I apparently over-torqued the bolts on the bar
clamp. They decided to stip out ... simultaneously ... just as I was
jumping on the pedals to catch a gap between cars crossing a busy highway.
I ended up in a ditch on the other side with a set of handlebars in my
hands, connected to a bike by cables only. I was lucky not to end up a
bloody spot on the pavement. I acknowledge that I over-torqued the bolts,
but those Deda stems were made from some awfully soft material.

Bob C.

Old August 9th 04, 11:33 PM
jmm

...Cracks...Not with a stem but with handlebars...

I occasionally read the little pieces of paper that come packed with
various bike parts. It seems that more than one of the aluminum
handlebars I've bought in the last few years has come with a warning
that they should be replaced ever 2 years or so. It has to do with
fatigue limits, or lack thereof with aluminum. Yeah, like we're really
all going to start doing that, right?

John

--
jmm

Old August 10th 04, 12:25 AM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
Moral of
the story is that it pays to track down suspicious noises promptly

Amen! I rode for about an hour with this funny sound coming from my cranks.
Sort of a 'whoosh-whoosh'......thought it was one of my shoes rubbing....stopped
a couple times, didn't see anything.

Then I stopped at a friends house for some free coffee and BS-ing. As I stood
up to stroke out of the driveway, the right crank arm just fell away...broken in
half...

Subsequent inspection of the break showed corrosion around the edges - so if I'd
had my act together I could have spotted it some days before the failure.
--
PeteCresswell
Old August 10th 04, 07:41 AM
Hjalmar Duklęt

"Hjalmar Duklęt" wrote in message
I've had som squeacking noice coming from the front of my bike for quite
some time but have not been able to figure out where it came from or what
caused it. Not until yesterday when I suddently discovered that the stem

was
almost broken. It's got a crack almost around the entire stem along the
weld. The stem is a 1" CODA quill stem with an ovalized shape and a matte
black finish. Has anybody else experinced anything like this?
Hjalmar

This is the stem I'm talking about. It looks very solid indeed so it was
never in my mind that it could break.The crack started at the bottom of the
stem right in front of the welding to the bolt and moved up 3/4 of the way
to the top before it was discovered.
Hjalmar

Old August 10th 04, 07:42 AM
Hjalmar Duklęt

[...]

Sorry forgot to include the URL. Here it is:
http://www.roadbikereview.com/Stems/...7_2515crx.aspx