Use the cycle path, it is there for a reason

Old March 23rd 14, 09:29 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Alex Heney

Default Use the motorway, it is there for a reason

On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 12:55:24 +0000, Judith
wrote:

On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 22:01:37 +0000, Alex Heney wrote:

snip

Reduces sperm count.

Rubbish.

Here are three quotes which back up TMH's claim. I assume you have a similar
number which refute it. Care to share them with us.

Of course.

And unlike you, I will give links, rather than just completely
unattributed quotes.

http://www.utahbicyclelawyers.com/bi...ertility-issue

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...ding-bike.html

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/articl...fertile-23556/

http://www.fertilityauthority.com/ar...ity-says-study

What the studies have shown is that *very* high levels of cycling may
have some effect - but then so does most exercise at that sort of
level.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
SENILE.COM found: out of memory...
Old March 24th 14, 08:58 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 23/03/2014 21:03, Alex Heney wrote:
On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 11:55:36 +0000, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

On 22/03/2014 21:49, Alex Heney wrote:
On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 09:23:22 +0000, Dave - Cyclists VOR
wrote:

On 21/03/2014 21:52, Alex Heney wrote:

Now I wonder what it is that makes me think (or should that be "know") that you
are a psycholist?

Nothing whatsoever, of course.

Other than your own blind anti-cyclist bigotry.

You make that sound like a bad thing.

Of course.

To any rational person, *any* blind bigotry is a bad thing.

But people in general hate cyclists.

Rubbish.

A very small and bigoted minority of people hate cyclists.

Or Road Lice as I prefer to call them;

"Over the last six months, I’ve conducted an informal survey of friends
and family, and all it takes is asking, “What do you think of road
cyclists?” to uncap a stream of vitriol the likes of which I’ve not
heard since snowboarders first came to ski resorts en masse. Roadies
**** people off.

At the heart of the problem is that roadies are often perceived as
arrogant, elitist, self-righteous, and acting as if they’re above the law."
http://www.adventure-journal.com/201...road-cyclists/

So that idiot has friends who think much the same way he does.

Read the research;

"Many people barely recognise the bicycle as a
vehicle fit only for the poor and/or strange," Dave Horton, of Lancaster
University, wrote in an interim assessment of the Understanding Walking
and Cycling study. "For them, cycling is a bit embarrassing, they fail
to see its purpose, and have no interest in integrating it into their
lives, certainly on a regular basis."

Old March 24th 14, 09:03 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Dave- Cyclists VORC

On 23/03/2014 21:16, Alex Heney wrote:

Some of the many 'advantages' of cycling;

Painfully slow.

In some places.

In many others, it is the quickest form of transport.

Only when cyclists queue jump or jump red lights. 12mph is slow.

I used to cycle regularly - I used to commute from Pontypridd-Cardiff
by bike.

From work to the edge of Cardiff (about 5 miles), I could regularly
beat a colleague who commuted by car (but not over the whole 14 mile
journey where 7 miles of it was on 70mph dual carriageway for the
car). And I never jumped a red light.

"but not over the whole 14 mile journey". So cycling is painfully slow.
Glad you agree.
7 miles at 12mph takes 84 mins on a push bike. 7 miles at 70mph takes
about 8 mins.

--
Dave - Cyclists VORC
Bicycles are for Children. Like masturbation, something you should grow
Old March 24th 14, 09:04 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Dave- Cyclists VORC

wrote:

On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 22:01:37 +0000, Alex Heney wrote:

snip

Reduces sperm count.

Rubbish.

Here are three quotes which back up TMH's claim. I assume you have a similar
number which refute it. Care to share them with us.

Of course.

And unlike you, I will give links, rather than just completely
unattributed quotes.

http://www.utahbicyclelawyers.com/bi...ertility-issue

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...ding-bike.html

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/articl...fertile-23556/

http://www.fertilityauthority.com/ar...ity-says-study

What the studies have shown is that *very* high levels of cycling may
have some effect - but then so does most exercise at that sort of
level.

It's Darwinism in action. God doesn't want cyclists to reproduce.

Old March 24th 14, 09:24 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Norman Wells[_11_]

Dave- Cyclists VORC wrote:

7 miles at 12mph takes 84 mins on a push bike.

I don't think it does.

7 miles at 70mph takes about 8 mins.

Nor that.

Maths isn't your strongest suit, is it?
Old March 24th 14, 09:38 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
jnugent

On 23/03/2014 21:06, Alex Heney wrote:
On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 23:40:47 +0000, JNugent
wrote:

On 22/03/2014 22:01, Alex Heney wrote:

Dave - Cyclists VOR wrote:

[ ... ]

No wonder less than 2% of journeys are made by push bike.

Wrong.

Total *distance* travelled by bicycle is around 2%.

Total number of journeys is way higher.

But then nobody has ever (to my knowledge) tried to suggest that bikes
are a good way to travel long distances other than for liesure
purposes.

They *are* a good and practical way to make short journeys,
particularly in an urban environment.

Are you *sure* about this "distance" claim?

That was what the last set of statistics I saw on the subject said.

Given the small number of cyclists encountered (compared to other road
transport), that idea is counter-intuitive.

Even number of journeys at 2% sounds as though it is an exaggeration,
but 2% of total passenger mileage doesn't ring true at all.

Not total passenger mileage.

Total vehicle mileage, which is a very different thing.

And I doubt it is 2% of journeys either if you mean "passenger
journeys" - again it is vehicle journeys where it accounts for more
than 2% (closer to 5% IIRC).

A moment's consideration reveals that "two per cent of total vehicle
mileage" is even wilder and more hyperbolic than "two per cent of
journeys" and simply *cannot* be true.

A large (long-distance) lorry will typically do 2000 miles a week or
more. A double-shifted taxi will do 1500 miles a week. A private car
averages 200 miles a week. Buses and coaches do many hundreds each per
week.

The stats need to be re-examined, I would suggest.

Old March 24th 14, 09:42 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Peter Keller[_3_]

On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 11:55:36 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Road Lice

I just love being labelled as road lice by the medway hand!
Old March 24th 14, 09:43 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Peter Keller[_3_]

On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 08:58:56 +0000, Dave - Cyclists VOR wrote:

toy for children

My toy for children is for me a very useful delightful convenient
economical viable means of transport.
Old March 24th 14, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 10:25:41 +0000, Dave- Cyclists VORC wrote:

idiot boy.

Why do people insult others?

For someone who has found the wrong outlet for their stress, insulting
others gives them comfort for their own imperfections, makes them feel
powerful, and helps them to feel better about themselves. Helplessness
for this individual is the root of all of his or her emotional problems
and insulting people is their outlet..