H G Wells

Old March 30th 14, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tarcap

Default H G Wells

"Peter Keller" wrote in message ...

On Sun, 30 Mar 2014 08:51:10 +0100, Bertie Wooster wrote:

On Sun, 30 Mar 2014 03:15:04 +0100, "Tarcap"
wrote:

"Bertie Wooster" wrote in message
. ..

On Sat, 29 Mar 2014 20:52:25 -0000, "Tarcap"
wrote:

"Bertie Wooster" wrote in message

On Sat, 29 Mar 2014 16:48:55 +0000, Dave - Cyclists VOR
wrote:

On 29/03/2014 13:48, Bertie Wooster wrote:
On Sat, 29 Mar 2014 11:35:58 -0000, "Tarcap"
wrote:

"Bertie Wooster" wrote in message

On Sat, 29 Mar 2014 11:07:36 -0000, "Tarcap"
wrote:

"Peter Keller" wrote in message

When I see an adult on a bicycle I despair for the future of the
human race.

There, I've fixed it for you.

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and
feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will be stupid
and boring.

There, I've fixed it for you.

Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia.

-H.G. Wells

The word comes from the Greek: ?? ("not") and ????? ("place") and
means "no place".

So cycle tracks will abound in no place.

Well done Cwispie.

God you are thick!

It was HG Wells who wrote that, not me.

No it wasn't - he died years ago. Your keyboard didn't even exist while
he was alive.

This day is called the feast of Crispian:
He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when the day is named,
And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
He that shall live this day, and see old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
And say 'To-morrow is Saint Crispian:'
Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars.
And say 'These wounds I had on Crispin's day.'
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot,
But he'll remember with advantages What feats he did that day: then
shall our names.
Familiar in his mouth as household words Harry the king, Bedford and
Exeter,
Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester,
Be in their flowing cups freshly remember'd.
This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remember'd;
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother; be he
ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition:
And gentlemen in England now a-bed Shall think themselves accursed they
were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks That fought with us upon
Saint Crispin's day.

Who wrote that? Me or Bill?

Whoever it was, it was an idiot. Hope this helps.

*William Shakespeare is an idiot*

That is your most astonishing claim to date.

Coming from the carprat, it is actually a great honour. it says more
about him than William Shaxspere or all those others he has labelled as
idiots.

Why do people insult others?

The reason behind doing that is often either fear or pain, like a self-
defense mechanism and their goal is to look tougher (because they’re not)
so other people might not make them a target and they won’t get hurt like
they were before.

Old March 30th 14, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tarcap

wrote:

"Peter Keller" wrote in message ...

When I see an adult on a bicycle I despair for the future of the human
race.

There, I've fixed it for you.

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed
him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will be stupid and
boring.

There, I've fixed it for you.

It is a ****ing great honour to be labelled as stupid and boring by the
carprat.
Now I am working towards the higher honour of being a snail-skulled
little rabbit, especially from it.

Old March 30th 14, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tarcap

"Peter Keller" wrote in message ...

On Sat, 29 Mar 2014 11:10:16 +0000, Bertie Wooster wrote:

On Sat, 29 Mar 2014 11:03:04 +0000 (UTC), Peter Keller
wrote:

When I see an adult on a bicycle I do not despair for the future of the
human race.

There is a plaque with that inscription on the Waterlink Way in
Beckenham.

Great!
Just don't tell the carprat. He will be along with his file and diamond
drill before you know what has happened!.

Old March 30th 14, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tarcap

wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remember'd;
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition:
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

Who wrote that? Me or Bill?

Whoever it was, it was an idiot. Hope this helps.

*William Shakespeare is an idiot*

That is your most astonishing claim to date.

Not really. Appreciating Shakespeare is very much like the emperor's new
clothes. Having actually taken the trouble to force myself to watch a couple
of his little ditties, I found them extremely boring and unremarkable.
But I expect you to howl with indignation - after all, I am sure you
consider yourself to be one of the new intelligencia, who nod knowingly when
they are presented with anything considered to be a bit on the
"sophisticated" side, like modern art ranging from Picasso to Damien Hirst
and Tracy Emmins.
All not really to be enjoyed, but to pretend to enjoy just to impress others
with how highbrow you are.

By the way, when you misquote "William Shakespeare is an idiot", I have to
break the sad news to you that he died some years ago, so the use of the
word "is" is inappropriate.
Quite an unforgiveable mistake for someone who spends so much time
attempting to take the **** out of other people's typos and mistakes, don't
you think?

Old March 30th 14, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave- Cyclists VORC

wrote:

"Peter Keller" wrote in message ...

When I see an adult on a bicycle I despair for the future of the
human race.

There, I've fixed it for you.

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed
him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will be stupid and boring.

There, I've fixed it for you.

Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia.

-H.G. Wells

The word comes from the Greek: ?? ("not") and ????? ("place") and means
"no place".

So cycle tracks will abound in no place.

Well done Cwispie.

God you are thick!

It was HG Wells who wrote that, not me.

But you quoted it, clearly not understanding what Utopia means.

--
Dave - Cyclists VORC
Bicycles are for Children. Like masturbation, something you should grow
Old March 30th 14, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

wrote:

[...]

From this day to the ending of the world,
[...]

Cwispie to a "T".

vehicle fit only for the poor and/or strange," Dave Horton, of Lancaster
University, wrote in an interim assessment of the Understanding Walking
and Cycling study. "For them, cycling is a bit embarrassing, they fail
to see its purpose, and have no interest in integrating it into their
lives, certainly on a regular basis."
Old March 30th 14, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave- Cyclists VORC

wrote:

"Peter Keller" wrote in message ...

When I see an adult on a bicycle I despair for the future of the
human race.

There, I've fixed it for you.

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed
him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will be stupid and
boring.

There, I've fixed it for you.

Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia.

-H.G. Wells

The word comes from the Greek: οὐ ("not") and τόπος ("place") and means
"no place".

So cycle tracks will abound in no place.

Well done Cwispie.

utopia (n.)
1551, from Modern Latin Utopia, literally "nowhere," coined by Thomas
More (and used as title of his book, 1516, about an imaginary island
enjoying the utmost perfection in legal, social, and political systems),
from Greek ou "not" + topos "place" (see topos). Extended to any perfect
place by 1610s. Commonly, but incorrectly, taken as from Greek eu-
"good" (see eu-) an error reinforced by the introduction of dystopia.
http://etymonline.com/index.php?
allowed_in_frame=0&search=utopia&searchmode=none

So bicycles will abound in this imaginary island enjoying the utmost
perfection in legal, social, and political systems. So let us make this
imaginary island real!

So push bikes will be found "nowhere". Thank heavens for that.

Old March 30th 14, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

On Sun, 30 Mar 2014 11:14:11 +0100, "Tarcap"
wrote:

Why do people insult others?

I don't know - why did you insult The Bard?
Old March 30th 14, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

From this day to the ending of the world,
[...]

He lives on through his writings.

Old March 30th 14, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

From this day to the ending of the world,
[...]

Says the Plankwit, who can't perform simple mathematical functions.

Advice from H G Wells Squashme UK 0 August 24th 12 07:01 PM
Stoddard wells ridin Unicaw89 Unicycling 30 December 20th 08 07:53 AM
cyling clubs shepton Mallet, Wells, Glastonbury gjt70 UK 3 February 13th 06 12:56 PM
Todd Wells Amerikaans kampioen! Joe King Racing 4 December 12th 05 01:10 AM
Kent cycling - West Malling - Tunbridge Wells Fran UK 3 June 21st 04 05:07 PM