E-fit of road rage cyclist

Old April 2nd 14, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Sig

Default E-fit of road rage cyclist

On 02/04/2014 15:45, Mrcheerful wrote:
On 02/04/2014 14:23, Sig wrote:
On 02/04/2014 14:15, Mrcheerful wrote:
On 02/04/2014 14:08, Sig wrote:
On 02/04/2014 11:31, Tarcap wrote:

"Mrcheerful" wrote in message ...

The cyclist, who is white, in his 30s, with short, dark, wavy hair and
glasses and was wearing a dark top and trousers, stopped his bike in
front of the victim's silver Peugeot 406. He then got off the bike and
smashed it down on the bonnet.

I expect the car driver was a woman, or disabled.

http://www.stroudlife.co.uk/Cyclist-...ail/story.html

Yet another argument in favour of compulsory registration.
When will the authorities do something to protect women and children
from these dangerous psychopaths?

You mean like this one - drunk, hit and run, speeding!
result= 8 years jail and 10 year driving ban.
I don't think his numberplate played any role in catching this fine
upstanding motorist.

no the numberplate was not seen, the motorist came forward in response
to the appeal.

Do you think that numberplates 'never' help to catch miscreants? If so
then why are they there?

Collect TAXES

So are you saying that numberplates 'never' help to catch miscreants?
and that they are there solely to get taxes?
The Motor Car Act 1903, which came into force on 1 January 1904,
required all motor vehicles to be entered on an official vehicle
register, and to carry number plates. The Act was passed in order that
vehicles could be easily traced in the event of an accident or
contravention of the law. nothing about taxes.

Where did I say "NEVER" , but feel free to point me in the the direction
of the Motor Car Act where it states only accidents or contravention of
the law.

According to the DVLA here are the reasons for registration:

"We maintain registers of drivers and vehicles in Great Britain. This
information helps us improve road safety, reduce vehicle related crime,
support environmental initiatives and limit vehicle tax evasion."

DVLA is an executive agency of the Department for Transport.

Old April 2nd 14, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

On 02/04/2014 14:08, Sig wrote:
[...]

I am pleased to hear that you agree that number plates help catch
miscreants.
Old April 2nd 14, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Sig

On 02/04/2014 14:08, Sig wrote:
[...]

Here is a reply from the DVLA under the FOI:

Please notice: The record held by DVLA is essentially maintained to
assist in revenue collection (I suppose that includes fines), road
safety and law enforcement generally.

Quote:
"All vehicle licensing and registration in Great Britain is carried out
by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) on behalf of the
Secretary of State for Transport and is governed in accordance with the
Vehicles Excise and Registration Act (VERA) 1994 (as amended) and the
Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) Regulations 2002, as amended.

The register maintained by DVLA is based on vehicles and their keepers
who are responsible for the use and licensing of vehicles on the roads.
The Agency does not hold a record of legal ownership. The record held by
DVLA is essentially maintained to assist in revenue collection, road
safety and law enforcement generally. It is clearly essential for all
these purposes that the vehicle register shows the people in possession
of vehicles and responsible for their day to day use on the road. It is
of course possible to be the owner of the vehicle as well as the
registered keeper, but this is not the case for all our customers. A
company, or fleet operator who has given the registered keeper use of a
vehicle as part of their employment contract may own the vehicle.

The law requires keepers to notify the Agency as they acquire and
dispose of vehicles and Vehicle Registration Certificates (V5Cs) are
issued to help with this process.

Vehicle Policy Group
Driver & Vehicle
Licensing Agency"
Old April 2nd 14, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

On 02/04/2014 14:08, Sig wrote:
[...]

So having a number plate allows miscreants to be traced, glad we have
cleared that up. Number plates were introduced to enable the tracing of
the owners of vehicles, at the time road tax did not exist.
Old April 2nd 14, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

On 02/04/2014 14:08, Sig wrote:
[...]

ps fines are not a tax.
Old April 2nd 14, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

On Wed, 02 Apr 2014 17:22:25 +0100, Mrcheerful
wrote:

So having a number plate allows miscreants to be traced, glad we have
cleared that up. Number plates were introduced to enable the tracing of
the owners of vehicles, at the time road tax did not exist.

What a pity that the present government and likely future governments
are unlikely to introduce bicycle registration plates, then. Oh well,
never mind eh!?

Does anyone know why the Swiss abandoned their seemingly excellent
compulsory bike registration and insurance scheme?
Old April 2nd 14, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 02/04/2014 14:08, Sig wrote:
On 02/04/2014 11:31, Tarcap wrote:

"Mrcheerful" wrote in message ...

The cyclist, who is white, in his 30s, with short, dark, wavy hair and
glasses and was wearing a dark top and trousers, stopped his bike in
front of the victim's silver Peugeot 406. He then got off the bike and
smashed it down on the bonnet.

I expect the car driver was a woman, or disabled.

http://www.stroudlife.co.uk/Cyclist-...ail/story.html

Yet another argument in favour of compulsory registration.
When will the authorities do something to protect women and children
from these dangerous psychopaths?

You mean like this one - drunk, hit and run, speeding!
result= 8 years jail and 10 year driving ban.
I don't think his numberplate played any role in catching this fine
upstanding motorist.

But the cyclist mentioned above just ran away.

vehicle fit only for the poor and/or strange," Dave Horton, of Lancaster
University, wrote in an interim assessment of the Understanding Walking
and Cycling study. "For them, cycling is a bit embarrassing, they fail
to see its purpose, and have no interest in integrating it into their
lives, certainly on a regular basis."
Old April 2nd 14, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave- Cyclists VORP

On 02/04/2014 14:08, Sig wrote:
[...]

Which is why sponging, freeloading cyclists are terrified of registration.

--
Dave - Cyclists VORP
"It is time for us to say to cyclists 'You want to join our gang, get
Old April 2nd 14, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave- Cyclists VORC

On 02/04/2014 14:08, Sig wrote:
[...]

Which bit of 'road safety' confused you?

Wriggle as much as you like, the fact remains that the registered keeper
can be traced by the registration plate and is legally obliged to name
the driver.

Cyclists are an unregulated rabble - which is why they break the law
constantly.

--
Dave - Cyclists VORC
Bicycles are for Children. Like masturbation, something you should grow