chain stress

Old June 15th 08, 12:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
recycled[_2_]

Default chain stress

Is there any deleterious effect on a chain if you start from a dead stop in
a high gear such that you are putting a large strain on the chain and cog
wheels, chain rings and crank arms for that matter?

Serious question.

Has anyone snapped a chain in this manner?

Old June 15th 08, 03:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Roger Zoul

"recycled" wrote

Is there any deleterious effect on a chain if you start from a dead stop
in a high gear such that you are putting a large strain on the chain and
cog wheels, chain rings and crank arms for that matter?

Serious question.

Has anyone snapped a chain in this manner?

Who cares about the chain....has anyone snapped a knee?

Old June 15th 08, 09:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
"recycled" writes:

Is there any deleterious effect on a chain if you start from a dead stop in
a high gear such that you are putting a large strain on the chain and cog
wheels, chain rings and crank arms for that matter?

Serious question.

Has anyone snapped a chain in this manner?

In my own experience, I've broken more rear axles
than chains. I really don't fully understand the
dynamics of how it happens, but apparently (to me)
it's the rear axle that bears the brunt of such
stresses.

Lower gears (in which it's easier to attain higher
torque) seem to contribute more to axle breakage
than higher gears.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old June 15th 08, 09:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
peter

On Jun 15, 4:27 am, "recycled" wrote:
Is there any deleterious effect on a chain if you start from a dead stop in
a high gear such that you are putting a large strain on the chain ...

Note that the strain you can put on the chain will be greatest when
using your smallest chainring
Old June 16th 08, 12:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Peter Rathman wrote:

Is there any deleterious effect on a chain if you start from a dead
stop in a high gear such that you are putting a large strain on the
chain ...

Note that the strain you can put on the chain will be greatest when
using your smallest chainring

And MTB riders do that all the time with no ill effect. This sounds
like one of those:

"If I hang my bicycle from the front wheel, won't that ovalize it?"

Troll!

Jobst Brandt
Old June 16th 08, 08:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
PK[_2_]

wrote in message
Peter Rathman wrote:

Is there any deleterious effect on a chain if you start from a dead
stop in a high gear such that you are putting a large strain on the
chain ...

Note that the strain you can put on the chain will be greatest when
using your smallest chainring

And MTB riders do that all the time with no ill effect. This sounds
like one of those:

"If I hang my bicycle from the front wheel, won't that ovalize it?"

Troll!

Jobst Brandt

The one time I broke a chain was trying to pull away from a dead stop on a
hill on my mtb, where I had arrived in far too high a gear as the road
junction was immediately following a blind corner. I stood on the pedals and
the chain snapped. Granted it was a new chain 200 miles, and therefore the
problem was possibly a faulty chain, but it did break in the exact
circumstance the op describes.

pk

Old June 16th 08, 09:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
recycled[_2_]

wrote in message
Peter Rathman wrote:

Is there any deleterious effect on a chain if you start from a dead
stop in a high gear such that you are putting a large strain on the
chain ...

Note that the strain you can put on the chain will be greatest when
using your smallest chainring

And MTB riders do that all the time with no ill effect. This sounds
like one of those:

"If I hang my bicycle from the front wheel, won't that ovalize it?"

Troll!

I hope you aren't suggesting that I'm a troll.

Old June 16th 08, 06:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

someone wrote:

Is there any deleterious effect on a chain if you start from a
dead stop in a high gear such that you are putting a large strain
on the chain ...

Oops! lets look up the meaning of "stress" and "strain" first:

http://www.m-w.com/

Note that the strain you can put on the chain will be greatest
when using your smallest chainring

And MTB riders do that all the time with no ill effect. This
sounds like one of those:

"If I hang my bicycle from the front wheel, won't that ovalize it?"

Troll!

The one time I broke a chain was trying to pull away from a dead
stop on a hill on my MTB, where I had arrived in far too high a gear
as the road junction was immediately following a blind corner. I
stood on the pedals and the chain snapped. Granted it was a new
chain 200 miles, and therefore the problem was possibly a faulty
chain, but it did break in the exact circumstance the op describes.

Cut the fog! What broke? The way you say that it seems a side plate
failed. If a pin extracted, it was most likely an installation
assembly problem, the most common cause of chain separation.

Lets not fuel the chain failure rumor mill!

Jobst Brandt
Old June 16th 08, 06:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

anonymous wrote:

Is there any deleterious effect on a chain if you start from a
dead stop in a high gear such that you are putting a large strain
on the chain ...

Note that the strain you can put on the chain will be greatest
when using your smallest chainring

And MTB riders do that all the time with no ill effect. This
sounds like one of those:

"If I hang my bicycle from the front wheel, won't that ovalize it?"

Troll!

I hope you aren't suggesting that I'm a troll.

You are a troll, possibly unwittingly. I suppose remainng anonymous
helps you live with it.

Jobst Brandt
Old June 16th 08, 08:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
PK[_2_]

wrote in message
someone wrote:
The one time I broke a chain was trying to pull away from a dead
stop on a hill on my MTB, where I had arrived in far too high a gear
as the road junction was immediately following a blind corner. I
stood on the pedals and the chain snapped. Granted it was a new
chain 200 miles, and therefore the problem was possibly a faulty
chain, but it did break in the exact circumstance the op describes.

Cut the fog! What broke? The way you say that it seems a side plate
failed. If a pin extracted, it was most likely an installation
assembly problem, the most common cause of chain separation.

Lets not fuel the chain failure rumor mill!

Jobst Brandt

Is there some fine point of semantics I am missing?

Instead of being a continuous loop, my chain was a single length: ie it
broke!
I'm not particularly bothered if a joint failed or if a metal part snapped:
the chain broke!

pk

Residual stress, fatigue and stress relief Peter Cole[_2_] Techniques 67 April 27th 08 05:08 PM
Block chain, roller chain, shaft-drive, wood-rim, and world's weirdest chain [email protected] Techniques 8 April 15th 07 01:50 AM
BB (?) knocking under stress yoBob Techniques 4 April 14th 06 05:20 AM
stress bunty Techniques 7 April 12th 05 03:31 AM
de-stress derailleurs Ken General 7 September 21st 04 01:01 AM