Alarm lock

Old July 12th 19, 12:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default Alarm lock

On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 08:52:04 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 7/11/2019 8:47 AM, AK wrote:
On Thursday, July 11, 2019 at 6:29:40 AM UTC-5, AK wrote:
On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at 11:25:50 PM UTC-5, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 21:05:35 -0700 (PDT), AK
wrote:

Bought this today at a "mom and pop" hardware store. At $13, I thought the price was quite reasonable.
Searches for it lead me to believe the company is no longer in business though.
https://imgur.com/a/mHSoIA5
It has an alarm built in that detects movement a certain number of times and then sounds a 110 decimal alarm. Resets itself etc.
It uses 9 LR44 batteries which last around 2 years.
I think it is closer to 90 - 100 decibels.
What do you think?
Andy

Adding an alarm to a bad lock does not magically make it a good and
secure lock.

"[505] Chinese "AlarmLock" Picked Without Triggering Siren
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj9kh5Guz6M

"[507] AlarmLock Revisited... With a Hammer!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzb74kzFAIs

The "lock picking lawyer" is quite good at picking, bypassing, and
destructive entry.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

I apologize for much of what I said.

You were trying to help with limited knowledge of the actual lock.

You have given me ideas on how to improve the lock.

Like positioning it so it is much harder to break open using a hammer.

Andy

Or just stop letting your bike go outside alone.

I have been informed, right here at this site, that for one's child to
walk to school is dangerous and certainly this must be true of the
legendary $4,000 bicycle. Thus, as you say, a bicycle should never be
allowed out without being accompanied :-)
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old July 12th 19, 12:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 10:25:29 -0700 (PDT), AK
wrote:

On Thursday, July 11, 2019 at 10:26:53 AM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Thursday, July 11, 2019 at 8:38:21 AM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/10/2019 11:05 PM, AK wrote:
Bought this today at a "mom and pop" hardware store. At $13, I thought the price was quite reasonable.

Searches for it lead me to believe the company is no longer in business though.

https://imgur.com/a/mHSoIA5

It has an alarm built in that detects movement a certain number of times and then sounds a 110 decimal alarm. Resets itself etc.

It uses 9 LR44 batteries which last around 2 years.

I think it is closer to 90 - 100 decibels.

What do you think?

Andy

Do you run outside every time you hear a car alarm? No one
else does either.

I wonder what percentage of blaring car alarms actually indicate a car being
stolen. I suspect it's close to zero.

I was in a tiny deli a few days ago. There was only one other customer. A car
alarm started blaring just outside the shop. After about 30 seconds, the other
guy said to me "Is that your car alarm?"

"It's not mine," I said. Then he walked to the door, looked out and said "Oh,
it's mine!" It took him another 30 seconds to figure out how to stop it.

- Frank Krygowski

For me, the alarm is for my notification.

I make no assumption that anyone would do anything about someone trying to steal my bike.

I am mulling on adding on a version of a fence charger.

I could do it for under $20.

But my bike is pushing some serious weight already. :-(

Andy

I suggest that something like, oh say, a quarter stick of dynamite in
the top tube with the donator attached to a "trembler switch" of some
sort. While it might not stop the first theft it would certainly
reduce the frequency somewhat as time went by.
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old July 12th 19, 12:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On 7/10/2019 11:05 PM, AK wrote:
[...]

Don't do that. Creating a "man trap" is a felony most
places[1].

Just keep your bike with you like a normal person and stop
worrying.

[1]Jay I need you here.

If I recall, the common law principle is that you can't use
a device for an act you couldn't legally do yourself and
simple theft is not a capital crime. A robbery does entail
threat to life but this isn't that. You might argue that
it's a maybe sublethal voltage, but you don't know who has a
pacemaker and who doesn't.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

You really should pay attention to peoples posts.

And stop trying to discourage them.

I saw barbed wire around the top of a tall wall at a day care, if you can believe that.

Someone could step in a hole and fall and kill themselves.

Someone could get hit by a vulture that just died while flying and hit a neighbor in your property killing them.

Just take some deep breaths and calm down.

Maybe get a Thai massage. But would not recommend letting them walk on your back.

Andy

This makes it sound like you're simply TROLLING.

Cheers
Old July 12th 19, 01:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/10/2019 11:05 PM, AK wrote:
[...]

When you wrote "fence charger" I understood electric shock
which is specifically mentioned in the relevant statutes.

Old July 12th 19, 07:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

On 7/10/2019 11:05 PM, AK wrote:
[...]

There you go. Thinking the worst.

Andy
Old July 12th 19, 03:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

On 7/10/2019 11:05 PM, AK wrote:
[...]

There you go. Playing the troll.

Am NOT alone in my alarm [email protected] Australia 40 December 22nd 08 04:28 PM
alarm lock trino General 1 July 20th 06 02:05 AM
FS Master Lock Street Cuff 9-Link Bike Lock [email protected] Marketplace 0 April 21st 05 08:06 AM
A new lock cable idea, was Lock Opened With Ball Point Pen John Thompson Techniques 2 October 10th 04 02:15 PM
A new lock cable idea, was Lock Opened With Ball Point Pen Matt O'Toole Techniques 30 October 10th 04 02:10 PM