Bikes on footpaths - damn...

Old October 4th 03, 02:48 AM
Alan Erskine

Default Bikes on footpaths - damn...

From Bicycle Victoria:

A change to the Road Rules gazetted on 15 November 2001 allows adults to
cycle on
footpaths when accompanying a child under 12 years old. The change provides
an exemption
to Rule 250 (1): "The rider of a bicycle who is 12 years old or older must
not ride on a
footpath". This rule now does not apply if:
a) the rider of the bicycle is 18 years old or older; and
b) the rider is accompanying a child under 12 years of age who is riding a
bicycle on the
footpath; and
c) the child is under the rider's supervision.

I'm still riding on the footpath (39yo), but ride on the _outside_ edge so I
don't get hit by cars backing out of driveways.

There's also a few questions he why aren't bikes allowed on footpaths?
Is it the speed they travel at? Maybe the stopping distance?

I just don't feel safe on the road. How many cyclists get hit by cars
versus how many pedestrians get hit by cyclists?

Personally, I ride at less than 15km/h (about the same as a jogger) when on
a footpath and dare say I can stop in the same, or less, distance as a
jogger. Then there's the joggers pushing a pram, but that's another story
all together.

--
Alan Erskine
alanerskine(at)optusnet.com.au

Trial or release, Mr Bush, trial or release.

Old October 4th 03, 07:53 AM
DJ

Yeah Alan,I reckon here in Sydney at least anyone should be able to ride on
a footpath/sidewalk if it is deemed too dangerous to ride on a particular
peice of road.

IMHO, I'd rather be an alive outlaw than a dead inlaw.....just use a bit of
safety common sense (although sometimes not that common)and protect
yourself....ya don't often get a second chance under the wheels of a semi
trailer.

Cheers

DJ
"Alan Erskine" wrote in message
u...
From Bicycle Victoria:

Old October 4th 03, 08:10 AM
PC

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 06:53:16 GMT, "DJ" wrote:

Yeah Alan,I reckon here in Sydney at least anyone should be able to ride on
a footpath/sidewalk if it is deemed too dangerous to ride on a particular
peice of road.

Does the term "alternate route" ring a bell? If you don't like riding
down, say, Nicholson Street in North Fitzroy, use Canning Street..
Surely there's an equivalent alternate route near where you are so
desperate to ride on the footpath..

IMHO, I'd rather be an alive outlaw than a dead inlaw.....just use a bit of
safety common sense (although sometimes not that common)and protect
yourself....ya don't often get a second chance under the wheels of a semi
trailer.

Nor do you get a second chance if some kid or pet runs in front of you
and dies, with the potential to seriously injure you in the process..
Nor everything revolves around your safety, others have rights too..

PC

Old October 4th 03, 09:02 AM
Roger Martin

"PC" wrote in message
[...]

I'd have to agree with that, my mother was knocked down by a lycra clad
cyclist on a footpath, he just picked himself up, dusted off, checked his
bike, swore at my mother for walking on a footpath and rode off. Did not
even bother to help my mother who was left with cuts and bruises. It was
reported to the police who of course could do nothing about it - I cant
remember exactly - but I think that it was not considered a vehicle accident
at the time. I know she even ended up paying for the medical costs.

My view now is that cyclists on footpaths should be required to stop and
dismount to pass pedestrians - or they are fair game for a straight arm
tackle to the throat.