60th Anniversary Schwinn titanium price

Old March 29th 21, 08:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default 60th Anniversary Schwinn titanium price

On 3/29/2021 12:55 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, March 29, 2021 at 10:38:09 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, March 29, 2021 at 7:11:37 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/29/2021 7:34 AM, wrote:
On Friday, March 26, 2021 at 6:18:29 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I have a friend who is looking at a used bike to buy. Maybe. I am trying to figure out if the price is good or bad. Its a Very good looking, well maintained 1998 60th Anniversary Schwinn Paramount titanium built by Serotta. I think its 1998 but maybe its 1999 or 2000 since Schwinn made the 60th Anniversary bikes for 3 or 4 years. Titanium Serotta frame and Time carbon fork. Painted blue. Campagnolo Super Record 11 speed mechanical. Campagnolo Zonda clincher wheels and Continental tires. Carbon Record seatpost. Selle Italia saddle. Cinelli aluminum threadless stem. Handlebars of some kind. Size being sold is perfect fit for my friend.

I am not sure of what age the 11 speed Super Record is. Not sure that really matters too much since Campagnolo is now onto 12 speed and I doubt there was any change during the 11 speed run. Everything looks brand new. But its not. It is used of course.

20 year old Serotta titanium frames with carbon Time fork. I know Serotta is famous but I don't know how much 20 year old titanium Serottas are worth. And ideas? And then add in the slightly old, used Super Record 11 speed mechanical shifting, and cheaper Zonda wheels. Value?

What is a 20 year old Serotta titanium frame/fork worth? Its not brushed titanium with the Serotta name on it. Its painted pretty blue and has Schwinn on the frame. Friend cannot buy just the frame/fork alone. He has to buy everything as a package. In this case that actually might be bad luck.

Thanks to the folks who commented on my questions about a 20 year old titanium Schwinn Paramount made by Serotta. Unfortunately the original topic got abandoned. I have emailed my friend to be very cautious about acquiring the bike. Positives are it was made by Serotta. 20 year old titanium is just as good today as when new. But negatives are it has a threaded fork. 1 inch. Nothing terrible about that. I have several bikes like that. But its not modern and current. And to make the bike right, you would have to buy a good quill stem. And maybe new bars too for the quill stem clamping size. Probably adding an extra $100 for bars and stem. Bike currently has Super Record 11 speed mechanical. I love Campy. I have four Campy 9 and 10 speed bikes. But I would not recommend it today. I'd advise everyone to stay with Shimano today. So there is the problem of selling used Super Record parts. And hopefully replacing them with electronic Ultegra Di2. For my friend to end up with the bike

I think he needs, there is just too many issues to deal with to make it worthwhile monetarily.
I have a hard time accepting "The bike is not modern and current
[fashion] so don't buy it."

Particularly when you can go to one of the Titanium manufacturers and buy a new threadless fork. I think that threadless is miles better, but like Andrew says, the adapter works fine.

FYI. From the DPR PDX: https://www.retro-gression.com/collections/forks I've never even heard of this place, but it has a mind-boggling number of 1" steerer forks. I'd buy this one even though I don't have a 1" steerer bike. https://www.retro-gression.com/colle...hreadless-fork (WTF, file down to 26.4?) Note the weight -- about the weight of your Look frame. I could use it for home defense.

-- Jay Beattie.

on sale too. We sell that fork for $99, popular item.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 30th 21, 12:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/29/2021 7:34 AM, wrote:

[...]

Why get locked into old technology and have to find work-arounds, like the quill stem adapter? And this should appeal to you, why get a bicycle with limited tire clearance? How about gear range? If I were looking for an all-in-one bike, it wouldn't be a 23 year old Ti racing frame with a 1" threaded steel steerer. I also would not get Campy, but that is only because all my wheels are set-up for Shimano. If I wanted something fast and cheap, it would be a CAAD 13. And if I wanted something versatile, it would be a Trek Checkpoint. I'm sure the Serotta/Paramount was a fine bike, but there are plenty of reasons for preferring something more current besides "fashion."

I have absolutely no problem being "locked into" a 1" threaded stem. As
Russell said, there's nothing terrible about that. If there were, I'd
have to sell a bunch of bikes. We can discuss details, but the
advantages of threadless are minor to the rider.

Other issues you mentioned (tire clearance, gear range) were not
mentioned by Russell or me. Not being "modern or current" were, and
without specifics, those are fashion words.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 30th 21, 12:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:
[...]

It's actually more than fashion sometimes. Campagnolo EXA-8
cassettes for example. Or Shimano UG cassettes. Or either of
Gary Klein's unique stem formats. I could go on. There are
systems friends don't let friends buy on craigslist.

Old March 30th 21, 01:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On 3/29/2021 7:34 AM, wrote:
[...]

If you have a threaded stem that fits you that is fine. But if it is a bike you're just fitting to yourself you can't really get those old fashion stems very easily. Everything is threadless stems now.

Old March 30th 21, 01:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/29/2021 7:34 AM, wrote:
[...]

You would be surprised. The range of length, height and
angle is much broader for quills even today.

Old March 30th 21, 03:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, March 29, 2021 at 7:36:56 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/29/2021 6:34 AM, wrote:
[...]

A lot of that is taste, which is fine.

Threaded BSC forks commonly change with a Deda Spada to
modern (cheap, available) stems:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/dedaspad.jpg
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

The bike has one of those adapters on it right now. And a threadless stem. But I think a quill stem is correct. So I would advise finding the right looking and length quill stem. Silver aluminum TTT or Cinelli stem. What it should have. Not an adaptor to allow you to switch and swap any threadless stem you like the look of today,
Old March 30th 21, 04:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Monday, March 29, 2021 at 7:31:23 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/29/2021 6:20 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I have absolutely no problem being "locked into" a 1"
threaded stem. As Russell said, there's nothing terrible
about that. If there were, I'd have to sell a bunch of
bikes. We can discuss details, but the advantages of
threadless are minor to the rider.

Other issues you mentioned (tire clearance, gear range) were
not mentioned by Russell or me. Not being "modern or
current" were, and without specifics, those are fashion words.

It's actually more than fashion sometimes. Campagnolo EXA-8
cassettes for example. Or Shimano UG cassettes. Or either of
Gary Klein's unique stem formats. I could go on. There are
systems friends don't let friends buy on craigslist.

No doubt, there are bad choices that people can be made. But those choices aren't avoided
by buying what's "modern and current." As just one example: For quite a few years it was possible
to go very wrong by buying "this year's bottom bracket." (How many "standards" are there now?)

- Frank Krygowski
Old March 30th 21, 04:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, March 29, 2021 at 12:38:09 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Monday, March 29, 2021 at 7:11:37 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
I have a hard time accepting "The bike is not modern and current
[fashion] so don't buy it."

Particularly when you can go to one of the Titanium manufacturers and buy a new threadless fork. I think that threadless is miles better, but like Andrew says, the adapter works fine.

I am not a fan of adaptors. Unless you are forced to use them. Particularly when you can get what you "want" right from the start. Just buy a bike with a threadless fork fitted at the factory that accepts the ubiquitous threadless stems used by everyone today. Buying replacement forks is possible, yes. But it adds $200-300-400 extra dollars? Why buy a "new" bike and then immediately start making costly changes to get what you really want? Its better to just buy a different "new" bike that is a lot closer to what you really want.
Old March 30th 21, 05:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, March 29, 2021 at 9:11:37 AM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
I have a hard time accepting "The bike is not modern and current
[fashion] so don't buy it."

- Frank Krygowski

I need to clarify a few things. My friend is a bicyclist. He has ridden several long brevets. A 600k with me about ten years ago when he had some mechanical troubles in the middle of nowhere and I was able to fix the bike on the side of the road and we were able to continue. Give myself some accolades. He has also ridden/run/swim several ironman length triathlons years ago. And run several marathons too. Also years ago. But he does not live, breathe, die bicycles like the folks on this forum. His Trek carbon Ultegra bike was destroyed in a car crash several years ago. So he is getting around to getting a replacement. He has one or two other bikes with mechanical Shimano. But they are not light racing bikes. So he needs a "racing" bike to replace the Trek.

For my friend, not Frank, not me, not Tom, not Jay probably, he needs a regular standard common modern bike. Such as Trek, Specialized, Giant, Cannondale with Shimano and 11 speed. Preferably carbon but titanium is great too. Threadless fork in 1.125" so every stem and bars fit it. 27.2 or 31.8 seatpost. Not 27.4 like my Waterford which only has an American Classic as its only seatpost option on earth. Disc or caliper brakes, both are good. I'd like him to go Di2 since I have a Di2 bike and love it. And think the future is electronic. Just a generic racing bike that anyone and everyone can get parts for if needed. That just works with no thought at all.

An analogy for the bike he/I were considering. The 20 year old Schwinn/Serotta titanium bike with 1" threaded fork and Campagnolo Super Record mechanical. Frank, I am assuming you have a kid. I know Jay has a son. Imagine they turned 16 and you got them their first car. Free. A 1970s VW Beetle convertible with manual. Not sure there was any option on the transmission. It needs to be cleaned up a lot. But it runs and is OK. Amazingly. Now, you see the potential in this car and its history. And want to feel like you are in high school again. But your kid looks at the car and says NO, I want a 2010 Beetle!!!! A cool looking car to kids today. And has an engine in the front, is front wheel drive, and has a CD/radio/Sirius WiFi BlueTooth entertainment system.

For a teenage kid, one car makes more sense than the other. Even though both are fine cars. Sort of. Maybe 10, 20, 30 years from now if the kid wants to get into classic, esoteric cars, fine and great. But right now, the kid needs a "safe" working car that is reliable. Kind of like my friend needs a good, fast, racing, light, modern bike that goes with no worry about any parts. A ride and not think about it kind of bike.