Bike Shop info in SE Michigan

Old February 25th 04, 02:17 PM
Don

Default Bike Shop info in SE Michigan

Just moved to SE Michigan and am looking for the best bike shop in the area.
Specifically in the Detroit Metro area and into Ann Arbor. Any
recommendations?

Thanks,

Old February 25th 04, 04:13 PM
John Everett

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 09:17:30 -0500, "Don"
wrote:

Just moved to SE Michigan and am looking for the best bike shop in the area.
Specifically in the Detroit Metro area and into Ann Arbor. Any
recommendations?

Just $.02 worth from someone who lives in Aurora, Illinois (but I
lived in A**2 for ten years and get back on a regular basis to visit
my kids); my favorite shop in Ann Arbor is located in a strip mall on
the south side of Packard just east of Platt. I don't know the name of
the shop.

There are two other good shops I've visited. One is on the south side
of Washtenaw in a strip mall across from Arborland, and another is on
the northwest corner of Main and Madison.

Hopefully someone who lives in Ann Arbor can help with names. :-)

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3
Old February 25th 04, 05:38 PM
Paul Southworth

Two Wheel Tango. http://www.twowheeltango.com/

There are two other good shops I've visited. One is on the south side
of Washtenaw in a strip mall across from Arborland,

Washtenaw Cycle and Fitness.

and another is on
the northwest corner of Main and Madison.

Great Lakes Cycling and Fitness. http://greatlakescycling.com/

Hopefully someone who lives in Ann Arbor can help with names. :-)

Happily a former midwest resident!

--Paul
Old February 26th 04, 09:35 PM
Karen M.

Don wrote:
Just moved to SE Michigan and am looking for the best bike shop in the area.
Specifically in the Detroit Metro area and into Ann Arbor. Any
recommendations?

East side? West? What sort of shop? General repairs or parts or
what?
The one just north of Michigan Ave in Dearborn is good if you like
racing (they don't like tandems because their space is so small). The
D&D chain ain't bad. In Northville there's a D&D and another small
chain (CRS moment!) right across from each other on Main.
I once took my Montague to A2 Cyclefit on Washtenaw to have the
freewheel pulled so I could replace spokes. The Gen Y genius wrench
attempted to use a cassette cracker on it, thereby necessitating
replacement of quite a few more spokes.
Can't send you to Jerry's on 7 Mile in Livonia (he closed last year
after a series of bizarre buisness mishaps). Don't go to the shop
that's further west on 7 Mile in the same area; the owner argues with
you and his son has trouble translating whatever you are trying to
convey.
There was a decent shop in Walled Lake but I think they closed. (My
GT tandem was $475 there. Birmingham wanted $600.)
Some folks like REI (on Haggerty) in Northville. They have a lot of
unusualy parts.
HTH
--Karen M.