Cyclist died after crash with walker

Old October 29th 04, 06:34 PM
Brian Drury

Default Cyclist died after crash with walker

Brighton Argus Thursday 28 October 2004:

Cyclist died after crash with walker

by Sam Thomson

A teacher died after cycling down a steep hill and running into a man
walking his dog, an inquest heard.

Andrew Faulding was riding down Coldean Lane, Brighton, on a clear
summer's morning when he ran into Graham Durrant.

The 32-year-old teacher, of Walpole Terrace, Brighton, was thrown into
the air on impact and landed several metres down the road.

Despite wearing a protective helmet, Mr Faulding suffered severe head
injuries.

The inquest, held at Brighton Magistrates Court yesterday, heard he
was unconscious when he arrived at the Royal Sussex County Hospital,
Brighton, at about 10.30am on August 16.

His condition deteriorated and he died the next day.

PC Mark Forshew, of Hastings police, told the hearing he was driving
north along Coldean Lane when he saw Mr Durrant emerge from woods
beside the road carrying his white West Highland terrier under his arm.

He said: "I was concerned because the pedestrian didn't seem to look
where he was going.

"I felt something was going to happen because he walked out at such a
quick pace.

"The cyclist tried to swerve into the middle of the road but it was
too late."

Michael Hooper was driving in the same direction with his wife and saw
the incident in his rear-view mirror.

He said: "As we drove up the road, I saw this chap step out from the
woods. We carried on driving and saw the cyclist coming towards us.

"I remember having the feeling of impending doom. Then I saw them
collide. It was like they exploded."

Mr Durrant suffered a broken nose and fractured sternum.

He was knocked unconscious in the collision.

He told the hearing he remembered pausing and looking in both
directions before trying to cross the road.

Mr Durrant said: "I looked up and saw a car turning right and then
looked down before I stepped out.

"That's the last thing I remember before being woken up by the
ambulance chaps."

Sergeant Marc Clothier, of Brighton and Hove road traffic department,
said a full investigation into the accident had concluded that no one
should face prosecution.

He told the hearing: "Both parties were unable to avoid the collision.

"Although Mr Faulding took evasive action, he did not have the time or
the distance to do anything."

Mr Faulding had been teaching at a school in Hove for two years.

He had been due to move next month to a school in St Albans, where he
had been appointed head of economics.

Recording a verdict of accidental death, coroner Dr Matthew Orde said
"I am drawn by the evidence to conclude this was simply a very sad
accident.

"I offer my sincere condolences to all Mr Faulding's family and
friends."

Old October 29th 04, 06:49 PM
soup

Brian Drury popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on
and said

He told the hearing: "Both parties were unable to avoid the
collision.

Surely the "walker" could have stepped back or stopped .
It is "easier" to change velocity whilst walking than it is cycling.

Recording a verdict of accidental death, coroner Dr Matthew Orde
said "I am drawn by the evidence to conclude this was simply a very
sad accident.

**** like this makes me very angry the "walker" swore on oath
that he had looked before stepping in front of the cyclist so either
he was lying to the court ;had some sort of death wish or simply
hadn't seen the cyclist, from the report it is not clear what the
cyclist
was wearing;whether the "walker" was looking into the sun or give
any reason why the "walker" didn't see the cyclist.

--
yours S

Old October 29th 04, 06:58 PM
Julesh

Brian Drury wrote:

[...]

Didn't suffer any memory loss then! I can never actively recall any of
the times I've looked when crossing the road and I'm sure I do it every time

Sergeant Marc Clothier, of Brighton and Hove road traffic department,
said a full investigation into the accident had concluded that no one
should face prosecution.

He told the hearing: "Both parties were unable to avoid the collision.

Really!

"Although Mr Faulding took evasive action, he did not have the time or
the distance to do anything."

Mr Faulding had been teaching at a school in Hove for two years.

He had been due to move next month to a school in St Albans, where he
had been appointed head of economics.

Recording a verdict of accidental death, coroner Dr Matthew Orde said
"I am drawn by the evidence to conclude this was simply a very sad
accident.

Caused by a stupid numpty walking into the road without looking!

"I offer my sincere condolences to all Mr Faulding's family and
friends."

For which I'm sure they are really grateful.

No news about the dog? I guess it must be OK then

I WILL try to calm down now!

JulesH

Old October 29th 04, 07:25 PM
Tumbleweed

"Julesh" wrote in message
.. .
Brian Drury wrote:

[...]

Yet had he walked into the path of a car, no doubt we'd see lots of blame
apportioned here for "speeding motorists"?
:-)

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old October 29th 04, 08:08 PM
Tony Raven

Brian Drury wrote:

PC Mark Forshew, of Hastings police, .....

.... said: "I was concerned because the pedestrian didn't seem to

look
where he was going.

Mr Durrant ......

......told the hearing he remembered pausing and looking in both
directions before trying to cross the road.

Recording a verdict of accidental death, coroner Dr Matthew Orde

said
"I am drawn by the evidence to conclude this was simply a very sad
accident......

....caused by a numpty walking out into the road without looking and
then denying it in court IMO.

Tony

Old October 29th 04, 09:13 PM
Paul - xxx

Julesh vaguely muttered something like ...
Brian Drury wrote:

Recording a verdict of accidental death, coroner Dr Matthew Orde said
"I am drawn by the evidence to conclude this was simply a very sad
accident.

Caused by a stupid numpty walking into the road without looking!

Is that what you'd be saying if same stupid numpty had walked in front of a
car ? I seriously doubt it, not that it'd get reported in URC anyway, but
if it did it'd be cries of 'speeding motorists' ...

Maybe the cyclist was also travelling too fast for him to stop in distance
he could see to be clear ...

Why do people try to apportion blame when they know only what a newspaper
(whatever) reports ?

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules !!!

Old October 29th 04, 10:00 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Paul - xxx wrote:

Maybe the cyclist was also travelling too fast for him to stop in distance
he could see to be clear ...

You can't allow for people suddenly appearing out of the bushes, or your
speed would have to be 0mph.
Old October 29th 04, 10:52 PM
Paul - xxx

Zog The Undeniable vaguely muttered something like ...
Paul - xxx wrote:

Maybe the cyclist was also travelling too fast for him to stop in
distance he could see to be clear ...

You can't allow for people suddenly appearing out of the bushes, or your
speed would have to be 0mph.

"He said: "As we drove up the road, I saw this chap step out from the
woods. We carried on driving and saw the cyclist coming towards us."

Suggests it was more than 'suddenly appearing' .. but again, none of us
really know.

All I'm suggesting is that the constant 'cyclist has an accident, but it
wasn't his fault' posts seem to use the same, or similar, arguments that
cyclists use to decry other road-users with ..

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules !!!

Old October 29th 04, 11:06 PM
Julesh

Brian Drury wrote:

Recording a verdict of accidental death, coroner Dr Matthew Orde said
"I am drawn by the evidence to conclude this was simply a very sad
accident.

Caused by a stupid numpty walking into the road without looking!

Is that what you'd be saying if same stupid numpty had walked in front of a
car ? I seriously doubt it, not that it'd get reported in URC anyway, but
if it did it'd be cries of 'speeding motorists' ...

Maybe the cyclist was also travelling too fast for him to stop in distance
he could see to be clear ...

Why do people try to apportion blame when they know only what a newspaper
(whatever) reports ?

As far as I'm concerned if he had walked out in front of a car (speeding
or otherwise) he would still be a stupid numpty - but a possibly a
stupid numpty that would have personally suffered the result of his own
actions. The eyewitnesses seem to be in agreement that he simply didn't
look. This doesn't surprise me as, in my experience, too many people
seems to listen for motor traffic, rather than looking to see if there
is any risk of being killed by a quiet something, before stepping out
into the road

The report also seems to imply that he stepped out of woodland onto the
road so it's possibly he was not visible until unavoidable. I quite
agree with the point (argued at length in this group) about safe
stopping distances but this is generally discussed in relation to
visible hazards.

I totally agree with your point that trying to analyse road accidents on
the basis of newspaper reports is futile. As a cyclist, motorist (cycle
miles this week = 0, car miles this week = 720 [1]) and pedestrian any
loss of human life on the roads saddens me[2].

Julesh

[1] Half term - kids - distant relatives in need of visiting.
[2] And isn't this Usenet - the spiritual home of accurate and reasoned
debate?

Old October 29th 04, 11:09 PM
Mark Thompson

Surely the "walker" could have stepped back or stopped .
It is "easier" to change velocity whilst walking than it is cycling.

I'm guessing the walker did, which was why the cyclist hit. The report
said the cyclist swerved, and I presume the ped unfortunately moved the
same way.

Regards the smidsy, the cyclist may have been hidden by the car, or the
walker was looking for cars rather than bicycles. Smidsy's are
surprisingly easy to do.

not a cyclist loki General 38 May 22nd 04 02:06 PM
What Makes You A Cyclist? TheCyclist2002 General 87 March 21st 04 05:42 AM
Another Edinburgh cyclist killed Mark Thompson UK 17 February 18th 04 05:47 PM
One for the cyclist out there Peter Connolly UK 111 January 5th 04 03:32 PM
Former Miss America kills cyclist WBtobal General 55 October 18th 03 06:03 AM