11 speed gears

Old March 8th 16, 07:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default 11 speed gears

On 2016-03-08 10:59, Lou Holtman wrote:

On 2016-03-04 09:33, sms wrote:
On 3/4/2016 8:02 AM, Joerg wrote:

snip

But this does not solve the problem that the brake caliper is
in the wrong position for bikes with QR axles.

Ironically, there are BMX front forks with the brake caliper in
the front, but these don't have QR axles.

Since there are other ways of solving the problem they probably
saw no reason to move the caliper.

It hasn't been solved. There are still tons of MTB and cyclocross
bikes delivered with QR and with the caliper in back of the fork.

All of them have the caliper in back of the fork AFAIK because the
manufacturers don't want to rely on bolt tension to keep the caliper
attached to the fork. Bolts can break, and putting the caliper on
the front creates a different danger -- and the problem with wheel
ejection was solved ten years ago with through-axles and reshaped
front dropouts. The world is now safe. Amen.

The screws would be stressed mostly in sheer direction just like they
are now. With the forces at play here it would be tough to strip one
of those big screws.

-- Jay Beattie.

PS -- Google "James Annan" -- he's the man who blew the lid off BIG
DISK and disclosed the giant wheel ejection conspiracy.

All I found was some warmingist stuff. Anyhow, I know for a fact that
my MTB front axle tried to come out and has gouged the inside of the
left drop-out, big time. Despite the QR being real tied (I check that
often).

Do you have a decent quick-release? The ones with external cams
frequently exert much less clamping force than those with internal
cams.

+1. The first thing I do is when I get a new bike or wheels with
external cam QR is get rid of them and replace them with simple Shimano
internal one. I have a whole drawer with external cam QR by now. DT
swiss, Hope, Mavic all utter junk. The force you feel when closing them
tells you nothing about the clamping force exerted.

Do you have a part number for the Shimano QR? I'd need one with the
utmost force, higher = better.

One concern I always have is those little threads on the nut on the
other side, that I might strip them out. But maybe that isn't so critical?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old March 8th 16, 07:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2016-03-04 09:33, sms wrote:
On 3/4/2016 8:02 AM, Joerg wrote:

[...]

Not sure what that means. I can't make out a P/N on there
because it's all scraped up but it is a "A-Class Wheels" QR.
The cam is part of the handle and I set it so it takes
almost all my strength to shut it despite being well greased
with mounting paste. That's the only way it has enough force
to (barely) withstand the braking forces.

As Mr Riel noted, the closed-cam (usually steel bell) design
gives a lot more clamping pressure for a given hand force
than the open ( usually aluminum) style.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 8th 16, 07:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2016-03-04 09:33, sms wrote:
On 3/4/2016 8:02 AM, Joerg wrote:

[...]

Here's a current model Tacx:

http://www.labicicletta.com/media/ca...ase-skewer.jpg

Any QR of that style (from about 1930 to present) in any
brand. Oil cam, go ride; they just work better.

For those (and I am one) who obsess over small things, these
were best for clamping leverage:

file:///C:/DOCUME~1/ADMINI~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/3826331350_2ff31a16ca_b.jpg

but god luck finding one now.

As Mr Holtman and Mr Riel already mentioned, throw out your
QRs with aluminum open cam. They suck.

Old March 8th 16, 07:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-03-04 09:33, sms wrote:
On 3/4/2016 8:02 AM, Joerg wrote:

[...]

Ok, that explains it, then mine is open cam. It's aluminum and the
handle itself is the cam via being slightly excentric around the pivot
points.

Old March 8th 16, 07:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_7_]

On 2016-03-04 09:33, sms wrote:
On 3/4/2016 8:02 AM, Joerg wrote:

[...]

They don't get any better than these, only shinier and more expensive
https://www.bike-components.de/de/Sh...spanner-p7418/

--
Lou
Old March 8th 16, 07:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-03-04 09:33, sms wrote:
On 3/4/2016 8:02 AM, Joerg wrote:

[...]

Aha, thanks. That's the old style Shimano and I have those on my road
bike. Makes it easy, I can just swap'em. The road bike has rim brakes so
no concern about the axle coming out. It should be happy with the MTB
QR. Of course, the Shimano purists would then say that I defiled the
classic Shimano 600 equipment on my vintage road bike, grupo or whatever
they call that these days :-)

For those (and I am one) who obsess over small things, these were best
for clamping leverage:

file:///C:/DOCUME~1/ADMINI~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/3826331350_2ff31a16ca_b.jpg

but god luck finding one now.

This tries to access your computer's hard drive which won't work and I
wouldn't do that anyhow :-)

As Mr Holtman and Mr Riel already mentioned, throw out your QRs with
aluminum open cam. They suck.

Seems they sure do even after I oiled it and all. It simply won't hold
the front axle in place. By now the fork might be too far worn inside
the left drop-out though. It has about 3000 (hard) miles on it with the
stock QR and I've gone through 4-5 sets of brake pads in that time.

Old March 8th 16, 07:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-03-04 09:33, sms wrote:
On 3/4/2016 8:02 AM, Joerg wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I have those in the Shimano 600 set on my old road bike so I'll
just swap that with the MTB. The road bike has rim brakes so the QR
strength doesn't really matter there. The black MTB QR will look odd on
it but, oh well.

Old March 8th 16, 08:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2016-03-04 09:33, sms wrote:
On 3/4/2016 8:02 AM, Joerg wrote:

[...]

sorry I blew that. Yes it downloaded. Ooops, try this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stronglight/3826331350

Old March 8th 16, 08:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-03-08 11:30, AMuzi wrote:

[...]

As Mr Holtman and Mr Riel already mentioned, throw out
your QRs with
aluminum open cam. They suck.

Seems they sure do even after I oiled it and all. It simply
won't hold the front axle in place. By now the fork might be
too far worn inside the left drop-out though. It has about
3000 (hard) miles on it with the stock QR and I've gone
through 4-5 sets of brake pads in that time.

sorry I blew that. Yes it downloaded. Ooops, try this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stronglight/3826331350

Thanks. That looks even more classic than the stuff on my early 80's
road bike.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHIMANO-600-...AOSwll1W1Xh Z

So if I understand correctly that would count as "the good stuff".

Old March 8th 16, 09:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2016-03-04 09:33, sms wrote:
On 3/4/2016 8:02 AM, Joerg wrote:

[...]

Another +1 here. And I agree with Andrew's advice to oil the cam, even
on the internal cam models. It's made a big difference for me in the past.

--
- Frank Krygowski