trials compound brake pads in the rain/wet

Old March 8th 16, 09:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Yin goo

Default trials compound brake pads in the rain/wet

This I fear will be blindingly obvious to most but I'm checking all the
same: on failing to find the half used Kool stop dual compound eagle 2s I
had 'lying around', I instead furnish the front end of my hybrid with a
pair of clear, trials compound canti pads I bought some years ago but never
used. After a light sanding of the rims and a wipe down with isopropanol,
the pads work excellently well (tho not as good as Kool stops in my view),
even reasonable modulation. However, they didn't work quite so well in the
wet today. I had assumed trials pads would be all weather, but realise
this might not be so? Additionally, a web search yielded past comments
that trial pads are not designed for 'high speed' linear riding which
hadn't occurred to me previously but seems reasonable. That said, they
must still undergo a reasonable force during trials .... Do they experience
significant fade on the road, perhaps?

Having had no experience with trials pads before this week I wonder if I'm
using them inappropriately ( no the clues in the name remarks please...
It's not thoughtful), or if the brand I'm using (disco, i think) is 'too
budget'?

Thoughts and comments, please.

Old March 9th 16, 12:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

yeah we use Kool stops

CRC BELT COMPOUND IS THE KILLER.

https://goo.gl/8hOkX4

clean rim with thinner then with isopropyl removing thinner.

glove hold wetted paper towel against rim bracing on seat stay...roll.

spray rim with CRC, spray Kools

let dry

/////////////

when gritty...the stuff attracts dirt, clean with thinner then remove thinner with iso.

respray.

CRC saves rim, save kools, stops on a quarter.
,

Old March 9th 16, 01:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gregory Sutter

On 2016-03-08, Yin goo wrote:
This I fear will be blindingly obvious to most but I'm checking all the
same: on failing to find the half used Kool stop dual compound eagle 2s I
had 'lying around', I instead furnish the front end of my hybrid with a
pair of clear, trials compound canti pads I bought some years ago but never

Don't use trials pads on the road. Trials brake pads are made
of a material that will STOP you as necessary for trials maneuvers,
that is, distinctly and firmly. The material is extra sticky, at
least in the dry. I'm surprised you're finding it has any modulation
at all.

Under an emergency situation where you grab quite a lot of front
brake, I imagine the material would heat up, change braking
properties quickly, becoming very sticky, and thus might throw you
over the bars before you could react. The other problem is, the
pad may melt or burn if you use it for, say, an extended mountain
descent. Then you have no brakes and, should you survive, you get to
clean the material from your rims.

You had the right idea with the Kool Stop dual-compound pads.

--
Gregory S. Sutter Mostly Harmless

http://zer0.org/~gsutter/
Old March 9th 16, 02:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Tue, 8 Mar 2016 21:04:51 -0000 (UTC), Yin goo
wrote:

[...]

Water seems to reduce friction of rubber like materials. See
http://tinyurl.com/zra7kut for a discussion of water on pavement and
tire friction.

It seems as though the friction quantities of wet rims and pads is
likely be similar as the loss of effectiveness of rim brakes in the
wet is well known.
..
--
cheers,

John B.

Old March 9th 16, 12:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Right. Adding a temp yet replaceable engineered gummy compound elimintes reduces friction loss.

Also super in dry as the coating reduces surface wear

A Finish line offering is not on the shelf foam Pedro ? Tell me why...
Old March 9th 16, 12:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Yin goo

wrote:
yeah we use Kool stops

CRC BELT COMPOUND IS THE KILLER.

https://goo.gl/8hOkX4

clean rim with thinner then with isopropyl removing thinner.

glove hold wetted paper towel against rim bracing on seat stay...roll.

spray rim with CRC, spray Kools

let dry

/////////////

when gritty...the stuff attracts dirt, clean with thinner then remove thinner with iso.

respray.

CRC saves rim, save kools, stops on a quarter.
,

Very interesting. Anecdotally, how effective is this compound. Even though
I usually buy Kool stops, I wait for sales to save a few dong. Does
applying the belt compound to budget black blocks have the effect of
elevating them to untreated Kool stops, at least in the dry?

Old March 9th 16, 12:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Yin goo

Gregory Sutter wrote:
On 2016-03-08, Yin goo wrote:
[...]

I understood the implications on purchasing but it was more an act of
curiosity on my part. However I must say, whilst I found them very grippy
(again, in the dry), they do have a good degree of progressive modulation
if the right pressure is applied to the brake lever. I do think, unlike
many other cyclists, my sur 100 kilo heft planted firmly on the saddle, or
more so behind it, is a factor in keeping the rear wheel firmly grounded.
If they didn't fade so badly in the wet compared to KSs I would go as far
to say that the habit for avoiding these on the road has been over stated
.... 'Tho' I suppose a number of riding style factors should probably inform
ones personal choice.

Old March 9th 16, 12:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Yin goo

.
--
cheers,

John B.

Hmmm, funky font issue with link but I take the point. I would guess in
the case of rim brakes the degree of loss would be higher, certainly where
bicycle tyres are concerned compared bigger wheeled road going vehicles. I
think the stark difference between dry and wet is what surprised me the
most. Mind you, as plenty of pads have much worse dry performance I may
have been expecting too much of these in the wet

Old March 9th 16, 02:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, March 9, 2016 at 7:56:35 AM UTC-5, Yin goo wrote:
wrote:
yeah we use Kool stops

CRC BELT COMPOUND IS THE KILLER.

https://goo.gl/8hOkX4

clean rim with thinner then with isopropyl removing thinner.

glove hold wetted paper towel against rim bracing on seat stay...roll.

spray rim with CRC, spray Kools

let dry

/////////////

when gritty...the stuff attracts dirt, clean with thinner then remove thinner with iso.

respray.

CRC saves rim, save kools, stops on a quarter.
,

Very interesting. Anecdotally, how effective is this compound. Even though
I usually buy Kool stops, I wait for sales to save a few dong. Does
applying the belt compound to budget black blocks have the effect of
elevating them to untreated Kool stops, at least in the dry?

Kool Stops with CRC move Kool Stops without CRC into a no stop area.

the blocs have no shape, no surface area, no adjustment. a zero. ditch.
haven't not tried blocs with CRC. there is a frontal shape difference for plowing debris.

CRC is an intermediate stop before discs' performance levels.

Old March 9th 16, 04:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

wrote:
[...]

Belt dressing on brake blocks is an interesting idea, not one I have
heard of before. Have any of you non-oracles out there tried it?