trials compound brake pads in the rain/wet

Old March 9th 16, 05:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default trials compound brake pads in the rain/wet

I intro'd CRC during the Late Sheldon period.

The idea quickly morphed onto a tire rubberized for extra wet contact sticky...

NOT SO....stop not go

Ztyping n fiddling are not necessarily commensurate
Old March 9th 16, 05:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

CRC sprays on clean rim braking surfaces (2)

second on pads ...I doahn know if pad coat improves or not....

itsnot a concours application
Old March 10th 16, 02:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Wed, 9 Mar 2016 12:53:27 -0000 (UTC), Yin goo
wrote:

John B. wrote:
On Tue, 8 Mar 2016 21:04:51 -0000 (UTC), Yin goo
wrote:

This I fear will be blindingly obvious to most but I'm checking all the
same: on failing to find the half used Kool stop dual compound eagle 2s I
had 'lying around', I instead furnish the front end of my hybrid with a
pair of clear, trials compound canti pads I bought some years ago but never
used. After a light sanding of the rims and a wipe down with isopropanol,
the pads work excellently well (tho not as good as Kool stops in my view),
even reasonable modulation. However, they didn't work quite so well in the
wet today. I had assumed trials pads would be all weather, but realise
this might not be so? Additionally, a web search yielded past comments
that trial pads are not designed for 'high speed' linear riding which
hadn't occurred to me previously but seems reasonable. That said, they
must still undergo a reasonable force during trials .... Do they experience
significant fade on the road, perhaps?

Having had no experience with trials pads before this week I wonder if I'm
using them inappropriately ( no the clues in the name remarks please...
It's not thoughtful), or if the brand I'm using (disco, i think) is 'too
budget'?

Thoughts and comments, please.

Water seems to reduce friction of rubber like materials. See
http://tinyurl.com/zra7kut for a discussion of water on pavement and
tire friction.

It seems as though the friction quantities of wet rims and pads is
likely be similar as the loss of effectiveness of rim brakes in the
wet is well known.
.
--
cheers,

John B.

Hmmm, funky font issue with link but I take the point. I would guess in
the case of rim brakes the degree of loss would be higher, certainly where
bicycle tyres are concerned compared bigger wheeled road going vehicles. I
think the stark difference between dry and wet is what surprised me the
most. Mind you, as plenty of pads have much worse dry performance I may
have been expecting too much of these in the wet

If you really want to test the difference between dry and wet you need
to try it with steel rims. Steel rims in the rain were nearly
unstoppable :-)

I'm not sure where you are located, but you mention "dong" in one of
your posts which would seem to indicate Korea.

I have never found a source of Cool Stop pads in Thailand but I have
found China made dual compound brake pads that look very similar to
Cool Stop pads and seem to work as well, and aren't as expensive as
the "real" Cool Stop.
--
cheers,

John B.