disc brake rotor size, 6 or 8?

Old October 24th 03, 01:43 PM
Colin Song

Default disc brake rotor size, 6 or 8?

Hi all,

This is somewhat a technical question, if you are given a choice to choose
between a 6" and an 8" disc rotor for your front disc brake on a single
crown fork, on a full-sus XC bike, which would you go for? why? would you
also opt for the 8" rear?

There are people who would say that a 6" will serve the purpose on an XC,
and is "more than enough" braking power, too much braking power will make
you endo, lost control on loose soil, etc...

There are also people who would say that "more is better", better
modulation, better heat transfer, etc.....

What's your thought and comment?

Old October 24th 03, 03:04 PM
Mojo Deluxe

"Colin Song" wrote in message
Hi all,

This is somewhat a technical question, if you are given a choice to choose
between a 6" and an 8" disc rotor for your front disc brake on a single
crown fork, on a full-sus XC bike, which would you go for? why? would you
also opt for the 8" rear?

There are people who would say that a 6" will serve the purpose on an XC,
and is "more than enough" braking power, too much braking power will make
you endo, lost control on loose soil, etc...

There are also people who would say that "more is better", better
modulation, better heat transfer, etc.....

What's your thought and comment?

6" is all you need, I told my ex....

Old October 24th 03, 03:06 PM
Carla A-G

"Colin Song" wrote in message
Hi all,

This is somewhat a technical question, if you are given a choice to choose
between a 6" and an 8" disc rotor for your front disc brake on a single
crown fork, on a full-sus XC bike, which would you go for? why? would you
also opt for the 8" rear?

There are people who would say that a 6" will serve the purpose on an XC,
and is "more than enough" braking power, too much braking power will make
you endo, lost control on loose soil, etc...

There are also people who would say that "more is better", better
modulation, better heat transfer, etc.....

What's your thought and comment?

6" is all you need for xc and a single crown fork, anything more than that
is overkill and extra unnecessary weight. I use 6" on all my xc bikes and I
have never had a problem. However, on my DH bike, I run an 8" with a dual
crown fork and a 6" on the rear. I find that running a larger rotor for
DHing does help provide the extra braking power.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Old October 24th 03, 03:22 PM
ireman_1

Originally posted by Colin Song Hi all,

This is somewhat a technical question, if you are given a choice to
choose between a 6" and an 8" disc rotor for your front disc brake on a
single crown fork, on a full-sus XC bike, which would you go for? why?
would you also opt for the 8" rear?

There are people who would say that a 6" will serve the purpose on an
XC, and is "more than enough" braking power, too much braking power
will make you endo, lost control on loose soil, etc...

There are also people who would say that "more is better", better
modulation, better heat transfer, etc.....

What's your thought and comment?

For XC 6" is fine. Nothing wrong with having 8" rotors on an XC ride
either, however some responses might be that the extra weight is a
downer and they have a point (if weight is a concern for you). You will
get every bit of power, modulation (the size of the rotor in this
application is not going to have a perceptable effect on modulation),
and heat dispersion you need for hardcore XC/"all-mountain" riding with
a good set of 6" rotors and calipers. If you tend towards the gravity
end of things you will "probably" want an 8" rotor set-up, but in your
question you stated XC so I'd say 6" is fine.

Enjoy your bike.

K.

--
Don't give up, don't ever give up.

Old October 24th 03, 04:13 PM
Anthony Sloan

Colin Song wrote:

Hi all,

This is somewhat a technical question, if you are given a choice to choose
between a 6" and an 8" disc rotor for your front disc brake on a single
crown fork, on a full-sus XC bike, which would you go for? why? would you
also opt for the 8" rear?

There are people who would say that a 6" will serve the purpose on an XC,
and is "more than enough" braking power, too much braking power will make
you endo, lost control on loose soil, etc...

There are also people who would say that "more is better", better
modulation, better heat transfer, etc.....

What's your thought and comment?

Depends on the rider and terrain. A lighter rider doing xc/norba type
stuff will be fine with a 6" rotor. That's what I have on all 3 bikes,
f&r. I have seen a lot of trail bikes being built up with an 8" rotor
up front. Were I to do it over again, I would probably go that route.
How much extra weight could it add? 30 grams? Braah, waaah!

Old October 24th 03, 06:45 PM
Colin

BTW, this is what I have observed on new Hayes HFX-9 G2 caliper's original
pads:-

a) stack one of the pad on top of the 6" disc's "braking sweep area" and you
will find that the pad is about 2mm wider;

b) on an 8" disc, the pad stack up just nice aligned to the "braking sweep
area".

In other words, having an 8" disc will enable 100% utilization of the pad's
brake material surface area.

Not sure if this is due to manufacturing tolerance, but I have also checked
all Hayes pads that available in the bike shop against all replacement disc
(both 6 & 8) from Hayes, and result is the same.

Old October 24th 03, 07:01 PM
Colin

Old October 24th 03, 11:47 PM
Zilla

"Carla A-G" wrote in message
"Colin Song" wrote in message
[...]

C'est la vie! Menage a trois! Deja vous! (It's one of those!)

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC

Old October 25th 03, 05:03 AM
Colin

I have observed these on new Hayes HFX-9 G2 caliper's original pads:-

a) stack one of the pad on top of the 6" disc's "braking sweep area" and you
will find that the pad is about 2mm wider;

b) on an 8" disc, the pad stack up just nice aligned to the "braking sweep
area".

In other words, having an 8" disc will enable 100% utilization of the pad's
brake material surface area.

Not sure if this is due to manufacturing tolerance, but I have also checked
all Hayes pads that's available in the bike shop against all replacement
disc (both 6 & 8) from Hayes, and results are the same.

Any comment?

Old October 28th 03, 11:35 PM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
This is somewhat a technical question, if you are given a choice to choose
between a 6" and an 8" disc rotor for your front disc brake on a single
crown fork, on a full-sus XC bike, which would you go for? why? would you
also opt for the 8" rear?

I've got 8" on the front wheel of both bikes.

If I were doing it over again, I'd use 6".

Reasons:

1) Seems to me like 6" is plenty for what I do.

2) Compatability: only one size rotor...

3) (and this is stretching it....) it seems like an 8" rotor is a little more
subject to being bent by a side hit - more leverage and all that...
--
PeteCresswell