Chain waxing

Old June 6th 18, 10:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tanguy Ortolo

Default Chain waxing

Hello,

For those interested in this, after my last inquiry about chain lubing,
I decided to wax my chain by immersing it in a hot mixture of solid and
liquid paraffin (with a ratio of 50% of paraffin oil).

After about 600 km, including some significant rain,, must say it works
pretty well. My chain still runs smoothly, and is almost perfectly
clean. When needed, I can simply wipe it with some paper towel. I do not
know yet when I will have to wax it again, but it seems to hold pretty
well.

--
Tanguy
Old June 6th 18, 12:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Theodore Heise[_2_]

On Wed, 6 Jun 2018 09:05:25 -0000 (UTC),
Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Hello,

For those interested in this, after my last inquiry about chain
lubing, I decided to wax my chain by immersing it in a hot
mixture of solid and liquid paraffin (with a ratio of 50% of
paraffin oil).

After about 600 km, including some significant rain,, must say
it works pretty well. My chain still runs smoothly, and is
almost perfectly clean. When needed, I can simply wipe it with
some paper towel. I do not know yet when I will have to wax it
again, but it seems to hold pretty well.

I've used wax on my chains for about 25 years. I've always used
an old coffee can and meat thermometer with 100% parrafin wax
(GulfWax, found with canning supplies). My practice has been to
put it on the stove and heat it to about 250 F, then dip chains
into it one at a time--fishing them out with a piece of coat
hanger wire, and laying them out on old newspaper to drain a bit.

Recently we moved into a house that has a glossy black solid
topped range, and I didn't want to put the process onto it. So I
went out last weekend and got one of these multi-cookers:

https://www.amazon.com/Presto-114324...SIN=B00006IUWH

It worked great. The temperature control does away with the need
for the meat thermometer, and the basket allows me to drain each
dipped chain before putting it out onto paper. The drain basket
does away with the need to fish around in the wax for the chains
(sometimes the quick links have been awfully hard to find).

I'm amazed at how much easier this is, plus I can do it all in the
garage and not have the potential to make a mess in the kitchen.

I've always kept an extra chain for each bike, and not re-dipped
until most of them need it. This new process is so much simpler,
I may be dipping more often--like when each bike has a chain
(rather than two) that needs waxing.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old June 6th 18, 01:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tanguy Ortolo

Theodore Heise, 2018-06-06 13:54+0200:
Recently we moved into a house that has a glossy black solid
topped range, and I didn't want to put the process onto it. So I
went out last weekend and got one of these multi-cookers:

Regarding the process, since I have an induction cooktop too, I simply
have the wax mixture in a glass jar, which I double-boil until it is
fully liquid. I then dip the chain into it, and keep heating for ten
minutes, after which until I remove it with a twisted paperclip.

--
Tanguy
Old June 6th 18, 02:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Hello,

For those interested in this, after my last inquiry about chain lubing,
I decided to wax my chain by immersing it in a hot mixture of solid and
liquid paraffin (with a ratio of 50% of paraffin oil).

After about 600 km, including some significant rain,, must say it works
pretty well. My chain still runs smoothly, and is almost perfectly
clean. When needed, I can simply wipe it with some paper towel. I do not
know yet when I will have to wax it again, but it seems to hold pretty
well.

I waxed my chain this weekend and finally had the opportunity to take the
bike out yesterday. The chain is very quiet and runs quite smoothly.
Shifting wasn't as precise as it was before, but I'm thinking it should
come back to normal once more of the excess wax flakes off. The only
downside was that I didn't clean the chain scrupulously before waxing it,
and once I started sliding it around in the pot, a black cloud emanated
from the chain and engulfed the bottom of the pot, completely obscuring the
chain. I now have a pot of dark black wax, which I may just chuck in the
garbage. Hopefully the second waxing will be less expensive.

Old June 6th 18, 02:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Theodore Heise[_2_]

On Wed, 6 Jun 2018 13:18:53 +0000 (UTC),
Ralph Barone wrote:
Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
[...]

Oh, let me add that even with 100% parrafin wax, it becomes dark
and opaque after a use or two. I think it may be from dirt or
wear debris from the chain itself.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old June 6th 18, 03:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Ralph Barone wrote:
Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
[...]

It doesn't sound very healthy for the chain to soak it in dirty wax.

I clean my chain thoroughly using interdental toothbrushes. My wive
found a brand at Costco that is more rigid than the usual ones so the
job goes faster now. First used for my teeth, then later some day for a
chain. Afterwards scrubbing with an old regular toothbrush, followed by
a good wipe-down with Kleenex. Once the chain is really shiny I apply
White Lightning Epic Ride. If you shake the bottle well the waxy stuff
in it dissolves and thus gets onto the chain as well. I use a Q-Tip to
dab it onlto the links, then gently wipe off any excess with a Kleenex.

That way a road bike chain can run 150-250mi between cleanings depending
on whether I ride more roads or more bike paths. Gets dirtier on roads.
40-50mi on the MTB, mostly on dirt trails. The upside is that this
method does not require me to take the chain off the bike which I would
really dread.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old June 6th 18, 03:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Wednesday, June 6, 2018 at 10:05:28 AM UTC+1, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Hello,

For those interested in this, after my last inquiry about chain lubing,
I decided to wax my chain by immersing it in a hot mixture of solid and
liquid paraffin (with a ratio of 50% of paraffin oil).

After about 600 km, including some significant rain,, must say it works
pretty well. My chain still runs smoothly, and is almost perfectly
clean. When needed, I can simply wipe it with some paper towel. I do not
know yet when I will have to wax it again, but it seems to hold pretty
well.

--
Tanguy

Seems to me chain cleaning and waxing is another sadomasochistic practice that cyclists without the imagination to do something more productive have brought on themselves. Socially, it's a leftover from when cycling was a workingman's sport, which has no place in an age when cycling is in the main middle-class virtue-signalling, and almost any bike the equivalent in quality of a between-wars Raleigh tourer costs an obscene amount of money.

A little, a very little thought will tell any cyclist that he can run the chain for its entire life on the factory lube, and in the process win a permanently clean bike.

All it takes is a hub gearbox (or a single speed of any flavor you fancy), a Hebie Chainglider or lesser chain enclosure, and a chain from a manufacturer who uses quality lube (KMC is good and cheap besides). Then you never again need to clean a chain or clusters or chainrings or anything else to which the chain has spread its filth.

Of course, if chain cleaning and waxing defines who you are, like going to church on Sundays, don't pay any attention to me; I wouldn't dream of criticizing your religion.

Andre Jute
The derailleur should be granted a religious significance by the Pope as an instrument of self-mortification

Old June 6th 18, 04:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Theodore Heise[_2_]

On Wed, 6 Jun 2018 07:44:01 -0700 (PDT),
Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

Well, for me it's as simple as wishing to throw the bike in the
back of the car (or pack it for travel) without having to worry
about a greasy chain. No religion, other than the spiritual boost
I get from actually riding the darn thing.

A little, a very little thought will tell any cyclist that he
can run the chain for its entire life on the factory lube, and
in the process win a permanently clean bike.

All it takes is a hub gearbox (or a single speed of any flavor
you fancy), a Hebie Chainglider or lesser chain enclosure, and
a chain from a manufacturer who uses quality lube (KMC is good
and cheap besides). Then you never again need to clean a chain
or clusters or chainrings or anything else to which the chain
has spread its filth.

I assume this is all meant facetiously.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old June 6th 18, 04:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

No more than using an electric cooker to melt wax for a chain. Skip the whole thing and go with an IGH and chain guard. I personally run my chain through a sealed oil bath -- after carefully cleaning each link. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/chainclean.html

-- Jay Beattie.

Frame waxing thirty-six Techniques 3 June 30th 11 01:34 PM
Proper chain waxing techs Dave Techniques 7 September 13th 06 05:18 AM
Chain Waxing Followup HarryB Techniques 15 April 11th 06 02:35 AM
Chain waxing + graphite question HarryB Techniques 410 March 16th 06 02:57 AM
New chain waxing technique Phil, Squid-in-Training Techniques 9 February 2nd 06 06:04 AM