Bike for 500lb Person?

Old October 25th 04, 01:48 AM

Default Bike for 500lb Person?

Hi,

What bike(s) would you recommend for a 500lb rider, who's about 6'2 in
height? He's been able to ride the Electra Rally Sport, although he
bent a crank on it, and he broke a crank 3 times and warped a wheel on
the Electra Townie. He was considering an adult trike, but he'd
prefer the better speed a two wheeled bike would offer.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old October 25th 04, 04:30 AM
Zoot Katz

24 Oct 2004 17:48:58 -0700,
,
wrote:

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Worksman cruiser and add a BMX style crank.
http://www.worksman.com/industrialbikes.html
--
zk
Old October 25th 04, 03:27 PM
Chris Neary

No normal bike is made to accomodate someone so obese.

There maybe no stock bike id designed for those loads, but it's not out of
the question to readily design a bike which could.

A loaded tandem team can exceed 500 pounds.

Chris Neary

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventu what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh
Old October 26th 04, 02:36 PM
Pat

: What bike(s) would you recommend for a 500lb rider, who's about 6'2 in
: height?
:
: If this isn't a troll, I'd recommend stomach stapling surgery, so
: he gets his weight down to what bikes can accomodate. No normal
: bike is made to accomodate someone so obese.
:
: That's some ugly sizeist crap there, homie.

What's this, some new word you made up to make overweight people feel
better?

:
: No "normal" bike is made to accomodate someone 7 feet tall either.
: Would you advise such a person to have his legs sawed off short?

Bad analogy, and you know that. The problem with a bike for a 500 pound
person is stress on a few localized parts--not the length of the tubine.

:
: I can see how a 500 pound person interested in recovering his fitness
: might undertake cycling as a form of exercise that would be gentler to
: his skeleton than than trampling around, and more effective for weight
: loss than swimming.

But it's not the only form of exercise he could do. He could hike and walk,
for example.

:
: I have seen bicycles made for up to four riders. Even people with
: small bodies and smaller minds are apt to weigh more than 500 lbs per
: set of 4. Perhaps the three stokers should have their arms removed to
: help get their weight down to what a normal bike can accomodate?
:
: Chalo Colina

This is another example that is misleading. On your figurative bike with 4
riders, their combined weight is not centralized over the crank. Spreading
out the weight changes the dynamics of their weight on the frame. If you
have to resort to idiotic examples like these two, you are not adding
anything to the problem---just trying to attack everybody else who IS trying
to help. Why don't you put forth something positive instead?

Pat in TX

Old October 26th 04, 11:14 PM
Fx199

This is another example that is misleading. On your figurative bike with 4
riders, their combined weight is not centralized over the crank. Spreading
out the weight changes the dynamics of their weight on the frame. If you
have to resort to idiotic examples like these two, you are not adding
anything to the problem---just trying to attack everybody else who IS trying
to help. Why don't you put forth something positive instead?

Pat in TX

Chalo's self loathing surfaces itself in everything he writes.
Old October 27th 04, 12:42 AM
Pat

:
: Chalo's self loathing surfaces itself in everything he writes.

Is that what it is? He was lashing out at anyone and everyone.

Old October 27th 04, 06:20 AM
Chalo

(Fx199) wrote:

Pat in Tx wrote:

This is another example that is misleading. On your figurative bike with 4
riders, their combined weight is not centralized over the crank. Spreading
out the weight changes the dynamics of their weight on the frame. If you
have to resort to idiotic examples like these two, you are not adding
anything to the problem---just trying to attack everybody else who IS trying
to help. Why don't you put forth something positive instead?

Pat in TX

Dear "no-archive" Pat in Tx,

If you were less oblivious, you'd have noticed that an identical
original post was placed in the rec.bicycles.tech forum-- and that the
most comprehensive, detailed, and contextually informed advice came
from me. But you clearly didn't bother to look into it. If you go
read my postings there, you'll see that your arguments about me not
contributing in this matter are mistaken.

My replies here in r.b.misc were to posters who were being insulting
and demeaning, not helpful as you suggest. If somebody were to post
to a shoe newsgroup saying "I have size 17 feet and I can't find any
shoes that fit", and he got replies saying that he shouldn't wear
shoes, that his feet were simply too big and posed a hazard to himself
and others, I hope you could see that those replies would be
unhelpful. Furthermore, I expect that you could see that those who
posted such replies were being jerks.

That is what is happening here, but since the person in question is
assumed to be obese, ordinary principles of civility do not apply.
Fatness is so widely and ignorantly reviled that even people who
recognize and refrain from expressions of racism, misogyny,
homophobia, classism, etc., feel completely entitled to be rude and
hateful to fat people.

For all anybody here knows, the 500-pound fellow in question may be
built like the late Serge Reding, who would have weighed a similar
amount had he been 6'2" tall like the person in question:

http://users.pandora.be/tom.goegebue...ing%20C%20.jpg

or http://tinyurl.com/6slvk

Yet their deeply-ingrained categorical hatred of fat people allows
them to be nasty and inconsiderate despite their ignorance, and even
feel self-righteous about it. I have done nothing besides taking
exception to their arrogance and presumption, and pointing it out to
them. If this looks like "attack" to you, I must question whether you
have the capacity to see unwarranted derogation of fat folks for what
it is.

Chalo's self loathing surfaces itself in everything he writes.

On the contrary, Fx199, I take no small amount of pride in being more
than twice the size and strength of a mundane man, though this is a
lucky accident of nature rather than a result of my own efforts.

I can take a more direct sort of satisfaction in the fact that unlike
you, I possess a useful amount of mental and physical courage, and
that I am in possession of my wits to a degree that you most likely
lack even the capacity to recognize. However, this by itself is no
special accomplishment, because it is plain (and fortunate) that
practcally anybody has sufficient virtue and intellect to outclass
you!

I am confident enough that I will not embarass myself with any
Fx199-type flatulations that I post under my very own name. I even
allow my postings to be archived for future reference, as opposed to,
say, an anonymous "Pat" in Texas.

Chalo Colina

Road, touring or cross bike? Yellowstone Yeti General 20 August 27th 04 03:43 AM
Some questions etc.. Douglas Harrington General 10 August 17th 04 02:42 AM
How old were you when you got your first really nice bike? Brink General 43 November 13th 03 10:49 AM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM