Typical Mountain Biker Demonstrates Their Inability to Learn

Old January 18th 04, 07:49 PM
S o r n i

Default Typical Mountain Biker Demonstrates Their Inability to Learn

Michael Paul wrote:
"Stephen Baker" wrote in message
..

Steve "Sorni - you're up!"

Sorni is too busy trying to get feeling back into his old and
arthritic joints after riding 63 miles with 6,600 feet of climbing on
the road yesterday.

I *wish* my joints were numb! (Actually, quads are only sore muscles at
moment.)

I'll give him credit though, he rode past naseau*
to put in a pretty good showing, even if he did need to use the
smallest chainring on his triple setup........

*Isn't that in the Bahamas? (Your spell-checker let that thru?!?)

Bill "football slug today" S.

Old January 19th 04, 02:38 PM
Stephen Baker

James Hanway asks:

Since when is "American" a language???

Judging from the OP's sig, since Jesus created the world and the seasons. I
always thought it was his Dad...

Steve
Old January 21st 04, 01:42 PM
Dr Engelbert Buxbaum

Default Potential study: Tires vs soils

Brett Jaffee wrote:

I haven't been riding very long, and admittedly don't know too much, but
85psi? Isn't that about double what most people use for mountain bikes?

I don't know about offroad, but the tyres for my touring bike say
something about 3-4 bar, which would be approx 75-90 psi.
Old January 22nd 04, 04:23 AM
Brett Jaffee

Dr Engelbert Buxbaum wrote in
:

Brett Jaffee wrote:

I haven't been riding very long, and admittedly don't know too much,
but 85psi? Isn't that about double what most people use for mountain
bikes?

I don't know about offroad, but the tyres for my touring bike say
something about 3-4 bar, which would be approx 75-90 psi.

The max recommended pressure printed on my MTB tires is only 65psi.

Old March 2nd 04, 02:24 AM

From my experiece I would say riding style and weather conditions
(wet, dry, muddy) makes more difference that tires. Riding fast and
using your brakes a lot is going to take its toll on the trail.

Don't forget that even hikers wear out trails. I think that trail
maintenance should be looked at differently. Maybe some sections of
trail should be abandoned and build around and allowed to return to
natural state.

As for 85lb air pressure and two inch tires it doesn't make much
sense. I would say low air pressure with bigger side walls, that way
you will spread the tire out and the load.

As for the guys responding about tire presure, your posts don't make
sense unless you state your weight. Sure some guys that weigh 145 lbs
can get away with 30lbs of air pressure, but I get too many snake
bites. If I ride especially lumpy trails I go with 60lbs.

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 17:58:31 -0600, Mike Schwab
wrote:

One lakeside trail in Springfield IL has some deep ruts. This trail was
not professionally designed, just riderw going out and riding around.
One thing about the current design of off=road bicycles uses tires about
2 inches wide inflated to 85 pounds per square inch. (Can you imagine
the ruts a farm tractor would get stuck in if it was on semi-tires
inflated to 100 PSI?)

You know the huge tires that monster trucks use? The builder of the
first monster truck, bigfoot, was already building raised trucks when he
saw tundra tire. Tundra is basicly a frozen marsh, very soft. So he
built bigfoot around these tires.

I think someone should do a study, examining the relation ship between
tire width, heighth, and pressure to determine parameters needed for a
wide, low pressure tire that does little damage to dry soils. The aim
will be to support a rider of 220 pounds plus bike weight 50 pounds and
30 pounds of supplies, with little compression of soil. I have hear of
beach tires for riding on beaches, it would probably be along these
lines.

I know the U.S. forest service has banned bicycle riding because of the
ruts. Perhaps this study presented to manufacturs and the forest
service would lead to allowing bicycle riding in forest if your tires
meet the standards establish by the study.

Mike Vandeman wrote:

On 04 Dec 2003 01:41:32 GMT, ospam (Stephen Baker) wrote:

.Mikey says:
.
. And you have seen "every" trail?
.
.No, which is why I don't make blanket assertions about them.
.
.How much more blanket can you get than "MTBing destroys trails"
.If you haven't seen all of them, you can't be sure.....

Um, the laws of physics are identical everywhere. It may take a bit longer to
destroy a slickrock trail, but it's just as inevitable.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Old March 2nd 04, 12:23 PM
Shaun Rimmer

wrote in message

As for the guys responding about tire presure, your posts don't make
sense unless you state your weight. Sure some guys that weigh 145 lbs
can get away with 30lbs of air pressure, but I get too many snake
bites. If I ride especially lumpy trails I go with 60lbs.

Nokian Gazzaloddi 2.6, 155lb, 10lb back pack, 36lb bike, 12-14psi, fast
boulder strewn DH, rinse and repeat, zero pinches.

',;~}~

Shaun aRe

Old March 2nd 04, 06:33 PM

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 12:23:19 -0000, "Shaun Rimmer"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

As for the guys responding about tire presure, your posts don't make
sense unless you state your weight. Sure some guys that weigh 145 lbs
can get away with 30lbs of air pressure, but I get too many snake
bites. If I ride especially lumpy trails I go with 60lbs.

Nokian Gazzaloddi 2.6, 155lb, 10lb back pack, 36lb bike, 12-14psi, fast
boulder strewn DH, rinse and repeat, zero pinches.

At 220lbs I would essentially be riding on a flat tire at 14 lbs it
would be squishy and all over the place. At 155 lbs and 12 lbs
pressure I would say you need a new pressure gauge yours has to be
based on some new metric system to read that low or you have some
special tires.

Old March 3rd 04, 03:40 PM
Shaun Rimmer

wrote in message
news
On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 12:23:19 -0000, "Shaun Rimmer"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

As for the guys responding about tire presure, your posts don't make
sense unless you state your weight. Sure some guys that weigh 145 lbs
can get away with 30lbs of air pressure, but I get too many snake
bites. If I ride especially lumpy trails I go with 60lbs.

Nokian Gazzaloddi 2.6, 155lb, 10lb back pack, 36lb bike, 12-14psi, fast
boulder strewn DH, rinse and repeat, zero pinches.

At 220lbs I would essentially be riding on a flat tire at 14 lbs it
would be squishy and all over the place.

Well of course one would adjust it according to the amount of wieght the
bike is carrying.

At 155 lbs and 12 lbs
pressure I would say you need a new pressure gauge yours has to be
based on some new metric system to read that low or you have some
special tires.

Special tyres, yes - Nokian Gazzaloddi, size 2.6 - those pressures are very
definitely real, as measured various times on different forecourt airlines
(my pump only reads down to 20 psi). I have never had a pinch flat while
running these tyres, and I am far from a 'smooth' rider.

Shaun aRe