Cannondale Lefty CLunk?

Old August 25th 04, 08:00 PM
Edward Holt

"NICHOLAS CHILDS" wrote in message
get rid of those tyres - they're useless on a bike like that (I have one)
the fork needs a minor service - you have some air in the oil chamber -
it's
topping out.

"Edward Holt" wrote in message
I'm new to Cannodale Lefty's and also tubeless tires.
I've got a new F4000SL with a carbon left with ELO and a pair of
tubesless
crossmax tires.
The tires are inflated to the max (6opsi) and the Lefty hasn't been

modified
or adjusted from factory delivery.

When I have the Lefty locked out there is a slight amount of travel in -
maybe 3mm.
When I cross a bump on tarmac and the Lefty is locked out, I get an

annoying
cluck noise.
I don't know if it's the tyre compressing to the max and the ground

hitting
the rim or the lefty compress to the max available (3mm) then topping
out.

Is this normal?

Wow - a service already - it's only done about 4 hrs?
But you sound like you know what I mean - can I do that service myself?
What size of tyres can it accomodate?

Old August 25th 04, 08:01 PM
Edward Holt

On 2004-08-24, SuperSlinky penned:
Edward Holt said...

I'm new to Cannodale Lefty's and also tubeless tires. o

[snip]

Wow, that is one expensive bike for a newbie.

[snip]

He didn't actually say he was new to mountain biking ... just to lefty
forks
and tubeless tires.

Although, true, only having ridden it on pavement so far doesn't sound
like a
thing an experienced mtber would do.

--
monique

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
-- Mark Twain

Yeah - no newbie to off road cycling - just not in this price range!

Old August 25th 04, 09:20 PM
di

Wow - a service already - it's only done about 4 hrs?
But you sound like you know what I mean - can I do that service myself?
What size of tyres can it accomodate?

I have WTB 2.4's on my Scapel 1000, large frame. A medium frame is
restricted to 2.25 tires.

Old August 25th 04, 09:32 PM
Edward Holt

"di" wrote in message

Wow - a service already - it's only done about 4 hrs?
But you sound like you know what I mean - can I do that service myself?
What size of tyres can it accomodate?

I have WTB 2.4's on my Scapel 1000, large frame. A medium frame is
restricted to 2.25 tires.

I've got a large frame here - what does "WTB" mean?

Old August 25th 04, 10:47 PM
di

"di" wrote in message

Wow - a service already - it's only done about 4 hrs?
But you sound like you know what I mean - can I do that service myself?
What size of tyres can it accomodate?

I have WTB 2.4's on my Scapel 1000, large frame. A medium frame is
restricted to 2.25 tires.

I've got a large frame here - what does "WTB" mean?

"Wilderness Trail Bike" brand, "Muntano Rapter" tire to be exact
http://www.wtb.com/mutanoraptor_24.html

Old August 26th 04, 03:42 PM
NICHOLAS CHILDS

[...]

I run 2.1's on my medium - they rub sometimes when cornering hard.
Your oil cartridge needs to be topped up and bled, though to some 3mm might
seem a little pedantic. You can't do it yourself without 5wt shock oil and
specific Cannondale tools.
Only 4 hrs....it was probably never right in the first place. Air freight
can sometimes do odd things to pressurised systems too. Setting the bike up
correctly is the shops job - they're little more than a semi arranged kit of
parts out of the box.
Where are you and where did you order from?

Old August 28th 04, 05:10 PM
Gman

On 2004-08-24, Edward Holt penned:
I'm new to Cannodale Lefty's and also tubeless tires. I've got a new
F4000SL with a carbon left with ELO and a pair of tubesless crossmax tires.
The tires are inflated to the max (6opsi) and the Lefty hasn't been modified
or adjusted from factory delivery.

When I have the Lefty locked out there is a slight amount of travel in -
maybe 3mm. When I cross a bump on tarmac and the Lefty is locked out, I get
an annoying cluck noise. I don't know if it's the tyre compressing to the
max and the ground hitting the rim or the lefty compress to the max
available (3mm) then topping out.

Is this normal?

(disclaimer: I have no personal experience with the lefty and am making all
this up as I go along. someone feel free to correct me.)

same here

I can't imagine that a tire inflated to 60 psi (are you sure that's right?
Seems awfully high) is hitting the rim on a "bump on tarmac." At 30-40 psi I
don't hit my rim going off drops of a foot or two.

Me too. If your tires are @60psi they must be rock hard,
so they certainly aren't pinching, but they *may* be
exacerbating the load on your locked-out shock, which is
what I'd bet on for the source of the noise.

I don't get any clunking noises when my fork (psylo race) is locked out,
even when I tried it going up bumpy trails. No perceptible travel when
locked out, either. But I would suspect the fork in your case. Have
you had a mechanic look at the fork?

When I rode Supergo's Specialized Enduro up the San Juan
Trail in SoCal I found that the Psylo had an annoying clunk
if I took a small-to-medium-sized-sharp hit very fast and
caused the fork to rebound very quickly. The fork wasn't
bottoming, it made an unnerving clunk while topping out.

I told the mechanic when I returned the bike and he said,
"That fork just does that." Don't know if he was right or
not because I haven't ridden another Psylo.

Old August 29th 04, 01:56 AM
Tommy Homicide

When I rode Supergo's Specialized Enduro up the San Juan
Trail in SoCal --

That's one of my favorite trails! And 20 minutes from where I live. Bitchin'
downhill. Very rutted near the bottom unfortunately.

TOMMY HOMICIDE
http://www.tommyhomicide.com
Old August 29th 04, 11:02 AM
Edward Holt

[...]

I'm in the UK and got it from Evans Cycles.
RRP of UKP3300 reduced to 2500.
I think I'll take it to a local bike shop that used to sell Cannondales and
get them to do the first service and also look at the lefty.