PRDR: Post Ride Death Report

Old August 26th 04, 07:07 AM
S o r n i

Default PRDR: Post Ride Death Report

So I'm driving home after a Wednesday night ride, heading west on 52.

All the sudden I see a large bird out of the corner of my eye -- BOOM he
hits my roof or rack and I assume bounces or flies off.

Then some guy starts honking and pulls beside me -- I think maybe my bike
got knocked loose or something -- roll down window and he shouts, "You've
got a hawk in your bike!"

We both pull over on the shoulder, and check it out. Turns out it's a HUGE
horned owl, wedged between the rack fairing and cross bar. We're not sure
if he's dead, and the talons warrant extreme caution.

He shines a flashlight on its chest -- no movement at all. Finally, I pull
on one foot, and surprisingly the bird just easily slips out from under the
rack. I "escort" him to the ground gently but rather quickly; poor thing is
dead as a doornail. (Unless it was totally unconscious, but I don't think
so.) Coyote food, I guess

Good Night, Noble Beast -- Blessed, Peaceful Sleep.

Bill "fair to midland white hunter" S.

PS: Yeah, Mikey, I know: senseless destruction of wildlife by selfish
mountain biker. Not sure it even touched the bike; will do forensic study
in daylight tomorrow...

Old August 26th 04, 08:23 AM
Aurawolf

Things like this suck, I had a hawk fly into a little shop I used to
work on by the beach before we could get it to fly back out of the door
it ramed the glass trying to escape and ended up breaking it's own neck.
I was really upset we couldn't have saved it but there is little you can
do when you have a second to react, sorry it happened but nothing can be
done

--
Aurawolf

Old August 26th 04, 01:36 PM
Jimbo(san)

S o r n i
So I'm driving home after a Wednesday night ride, heading west on
52....snip

All the sudden I see a large bird out of the corner of my eye -- BOOM
he
hits my roof or rack and I assume bounces or flies off.

MURDERER!!!! :-C

Between CC and your stories I am thinking those roof racks are nothing
but trouble :-P

Jimbo(san)

--
Jimbo(san)

Old August 26th 04, 03:06 PM
ireman_1

QUOTE=S o r n i]So I'm driving home after a Wednesday night ride,

[...]

That sucks. (This next part may offend some, so: earmuffs) Why does it
have to be some *cool* bird? Can't it be a crow or sea gull? I hate
them.
I know they *all* have a role in the grand scheme of things, but so do
wacko freaks like mv and mosquitos, but I don't like them either.

Years ago we had a bird of unknown variety get lodged between the
windshield and wiper of our car while driving from GJ to Denver on 70.
The worst thing was it was *not* dead when we pulled over. I'm sure the
folks buzzing by were wondering why the hell we were wrestling with a
bird on the side of the interstate.

I'll pour some beer on the curb for the dead owl.

K.

--
ireman_1

Old August 26th 04, 03:34 PM
R.White

"S o r n i" wrote in message . ..
[...]

I ran over a rattlesnake last week in my van. I went back but it
was a goner. I didn't have any bikes with me, so I wasn't a mountain
biker.
Old August 26th 04, 04:35 PM
bomba

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 06:07:10 +0000, S o r n i wrote:

He shines a flashlight on its chest -- no movement at all. Finally, I pull
on one foot, and surprisingly the bird just easily slips out from under the
rack. I "escort" him to the ground gently but rather quickly; poor thing is
dead as a doornail. (Unless it was totally unconscious, but I don't think
so.) Coyote food, I guess

A friend of a friend (possible myth) was driving through the outback in
Australia with some friends in a 4x4 and knocked over a kangaroo. The guys
got out and decided to have a bit of fun with the dead 'roo. They picked
it up and posed with it for the camera, and then one guy put his jacket on
it and a pair of sunnies and again got their photo taken. At which point,
the 'dead' 'roo comes to its senses and bounds off in to the bush wearing
this guy's jacket. Inside which were his passport and wallet...
Old August 26th 04, 04:39 PM
pas

Aurawolf wrote:
Things like this suck, I had a hawk fly into a little shop I used to
work on by the beach before we could get it to fly back out of the
door it ramed the glass trying to escape and ended up breaking it's
own neck. I was really upset we couldn't have saved it but there is
little you can do when you have a second to react, sorry it happened
but nothing can be done

We had a beautiful hawk fly into our window, he was only moderately stunned
and got hung up by a claw in the screen so that he was hanging upside down.
Here's what we did: got some heavy gloves out, put a pillow case over it's
head and then gently removed it. We then laid it in a quiet protected corner
of the yard where cats and dogs couldn't get to it, and then it left of it's
own volition when it was recovered.

Penny

Old August 26th 04, 05:03 PM
Sunastar

bomba sez:

A friend of a friend (possible myth) was driving through the outback in
Australia with some friends in a 4x4 and knocked over a kangaroo. The guys
got out and decided to have a bit of fun with the dead 'roo. They picked
it up and posed with it for the camera, and then one guy put his jacket on
it and a pair of sunnies and again got their photo taken. At which point,
the 'dead' 'roo comes to its senses and bounds off in to the bush wearing
this guy's jacket. Inside which were his passport and wallet...

WOW! They should make a movie about that! I'm sure it would be a box
office blowout! :-7

--
T o m Dillon
Lakewood, CO
Old August 26th 04, 05:17 PM
scurry

Sunastar wrote:
bomba sez:

A friend of a friend (possible myth) was driving through the outback in
Australia with some friends in a 4x4 and knocked over a kangaroo. The guys
got out and decided to have a bit of fun with the dead 'roo. They picked
it up and posed with it for the camera, and then one guy put his jacket on
it and a pair of sunnies and again got their photo taken. At which point,
the 'dead' 'roo comes to its senses and bounds off in to the bush wearing
this guy's jacket. Inside which were his passport and wallet...

WOW! They should make a movie about that! I'm sure it would be a box
office blowout! :-7

Yeah call it "Kangaroo in a Jacket"
No wait that's too long, how 'bout "Kangaroo Jacket"
OK I've got it...
Old August 26th 04, 05:51 PM
Paladin

WOW