Bicycle trailers:

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 26th 04, 06:28 PM
Peter Cole

Default Bicycle trailers:

"Mike Kruger" wrote

1. A milk crate costs about $3 at a hardware store, and most people already
have one. Panniers are more expensive.

I have a milk crate, my wife has a fold-out "grocery bag" pannier. Hers cost
$9, mine was free.

2. The dorky look of a milk crate serves as an effective anti-theft device
for the entire bike. It marks the rider as somebody not worth mugging,
because how much money could they possibly have? Certainly it's hard to
imagine stealing the milk crate itself. Panniers make a bike look more
attractive, and can be stolen easily if left on the bike.

Her pannier is much better looking, especially with its day-glo rain cover.

3. The milk crate doesn't need any extra attention in rain.

She needs to put her cover on, which she usually uses anyway.

4. You can stick a backpack in a milk crate more easily than in panniers,
which is an advantage for students.

I like this feature the most. When I ride my bike downtown for shopping or Dr.
visit, etc., I can throw my backpack into the crate, then grab it & put
helmet, etc. away for errands. The pannier easily detaches though, and has
handles, looks like a square, black, fabric shopping bag, not too bad either.

5. No heel strike problems with a milk crate.

Also a big issue for me with size 52 shoes.

6. The back of the milk crate makes a nice surface for bumper stickers
containing the irritating political slogan of your choice.

I've thought of that, but think a big reflector might be more pragmatic. The
pannier does have reflective material.

I've used both, and prefer panniers. The humble milk crate is not without
appeal, however.

I agree. Another drawback of the crate is that sitting directly on the rack as
it does, it subjects the contents to a harsher ride. I keep a bit of foam in
mine, helps when delivering things like a 12-pack of bottles.